Help me pick a game!

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, here's whats up.
I just had surgery, and am gonna be out of work for at least a month. I can do very little right now, so games/tv/reading is all I have right now. Plus being out of work, money is really tight. I have a $25 Gamestop card to spend, and really cant go much over that (maybe like $5 or so). I'm wanting either one decent game that I can put alot of hours into (like Oblivion or something) that is NOT multiplayer (no Gold membership, plus I dunno when I'm gonna suddenly be too tired to continue playing, Vicodin does that sometimes), or a few not so great games off the bargin bin that will also occupy alot of time.

Games I already have...
Oblivion GOY
Dead Rising
Gears of War (cant play it though, wont read disc)
Rock Band 2
Borderlands
Mass Effect
Assassins Creed 1 + 2
Bioshock
Crackdown
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Forza 2
Ninety Nine Nights
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Resident Evil 5
Guitar Hero 2

So anyone have any suggestions that are NOT on the list above?

[quote name='Waughoo']I'm wanting either one decent game that I can put alot of hours into...[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age: Origins

fallout 3

I also just got a $25 gift card and picked up UFC 2009 and Fable 2 Platinum Hits. I think UFC was $10 because of the Game Days sale, which is over, but Fable 2 is only $15, and if you get the Platinum Hits version it's got the DLC on the disc for free.

[quote name='myl0r']fallout 3

I also just got a $25 gift card and picked up UFC 2009 and Fable 2 Platinum Hits. I think UFC was $10 because of the Game Days sale, which is over, but Fable 2 is only $15, and if you get the Platinum Hits version it's got the DLC on the disc for free.
[/QUOTE]
Can't figure out how I missed that you already have BOTH Fable 2 and Fallout 3.

If you've not beat all the games you have, I'd suggest doing that and saving your giftcard for something later on.
If you have beat them all, I'll second Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age

It's too bad you've got a $25 GC and not $25 in cash to spend, otherwise I'd recommend a month of Gamefly. With 2 games at a time you could play a lot of stuff and not worry about being without a game while discs are in the mail. I don't know what the details are for a trial month, but it might be worth looking into.

I say go with ME2 or Dragon Age: Origins. Both are long games that you'd probably enjoy playing through multiple times. Unfortunately both are about $35 used from Gamestop, so unless you have a coupon they might be more than you want to spend.

The Orange Box is cheap now, and if you haven't played those games yet, there's quite a bit of content there. Of course without Gold, TF2 is pointless. But Portal and HL2 + episodes are must plays.

The Condemned games are good, but not everyone is into them. If you think you might be, I bet you can pick them both up for about $15 at this point. If you're into the Lego games, Lego Batman + Pure bundle is $20. I found Pure to be a very good, under-appreciated racer, and I generally don't like ATV games. If you like GTA style games from the last console generation, Saints Row is pretty good and like $10 now, and the sequel (which I haven't played, but heard is even better) is less than $20 used.

That's all I can think of right now. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Red Faction Guerrilla is an awesome game that i think is $17 at Gamestop.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution has a TON of replay value. $20 at Gamestop

Not sure if you like the Command and Conquer Games, but you could get C&C 3 plus Red Alert from Gamestop for $25.

The Orange Box is pretty cheap now I think.

Madden games are a time eater if you like Football. Same goes for NHL 09 or 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadly Premonition - long single player, very interesting game. A survival horror mystery.

Alan Wake - Not as long as Deadly Premonition, but a game with a really creepy setting. Good if you like horror.

Battlestations: Pacific if you like WWII games, or IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey if you like WWII flight sims. Battlestations lets you play the multiplayer modes against AI controlling ships and planes, and you can set up missions how you want against AI in IL-2. That gives you extra replay with them, even without online.

Gears of War 2 also lets you play the multiplayer against AI.

Mass Effect 2 was 29.99 at Gamestop, so it's right there in the range you're looking at.

If you like RPG's here are some suggestions:
The Last Remnant:15 used/20 new
Blue Dragon:10 used/20 new
I've played Blue Dragon it had a really good story and it was pretty long The Last Remnant i haven't played yet but i will be playing soon as I have it.You should be able to get both with the gift card and just have to pay tax out of your pocket.

[quote name='Gears24']If you like RPG's here are some suggestions:
The Last Remnant:15 used/20 new
The Last Remnant i haven't played yet but i will be playing soon as I have it[/QUOTE]

I would probably advise against The Last Remnant actually. I don't know if the game is good or bad (haven't played it yet), but from what I heard, the only way it really runs decently is if you install it to your hard drive.

If you're into JRPGs Blue Dragon is $10 and at least 50-60 hours long, maybe longer if you do all the side quests. I personally loved it. Lost Odyssey & Tales of Vesperia are also good/long JRPGs but they're a little bit more expensive, probably around the $20 - $30 mark.

But based on all the game you already have Mass Effect 2 & Dragon Age are probably safe bets.

With all of the variables, you could easily play Mass Effect 2 3x times for ~90 hours of gameplay. That and it is the best game released this year. Dragon Age is okay, the story and characters are fun but the gameplay doesn't work well on the Xbox, so ME2 clearly edges it out IMO.

Tales of Vesperia is $30 used I think, and that takes a good 50+ hours to beat. Mass Effect 2 will take you 30 hours to do everything, but it's $40 new. Dragon Age has been suggested, but I'd probably wait for the rumored Ultimate Edition to be released, which will apparently have all the DLC with it, including that $40 expansion.

I just thought of one: Burnout Paradise. Excellent game, by far the best racing game released this generation, and you can put a lot of time into it offline (Maybe 40+ hours to do everything). It's also only $20.

bread's done
Back