Help me pick a gaming mouse!

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm making the shift back for PC gaming after years of 360. I built a mid-range rig (Phenom 945, GTX 260, etc.). I like FPSs though I mostly bought the PC for upcoming games (diablo and starcraft).

I currently use a Logitech MX Revolution which is amazing for office work, but doesn't seem to respond the way I want it to for FPSs.

I need to make a choice:
Logitech G9 wired, ordered from Amazon for 50$ but I'm thinking of returning it when it arrives
Microsoft Sidewinder X8 (wireless, 55$ on amazon), seems to get good reviews on the Egg.
An older Microsoft sidewinder (30$).

I use Microsoft Windows 7 RC which *sucks* on driver support; I'm partially worried that the Logitech's software won't work on my machine.

Any recommendations?

What are you talking about? Windows 7 has great driver support.

I use a Logitech G5 and I love it. I would highly suggest that, or just keep your G9. I have heard great things about it.

Either a G5 (make sure its the double thumb button model) or a Razer DeathAdder. I've used both for a few years now and they're both excellent. The G5 works out a little bit better for people with larger hands though, although the DeathAdder is still very comfortable for those with bigger mits.

I've heard nothing but good things from the DeathAdder, I'm going to pick one up myself soon as I find a reasonable price. Razer has great software, I've got an Arctosa keyboard and love it.

I have the Revolution MX and can't get the configuration software to work on my Windows 7 RC. Not sure why.

Everyone here mentioned the G5, is it better than the G9?

Also, I admit that wireless abilities of the Sidewinder X8 appeal to me, got a crowded desk.

I have a Razer Mamba and I'm a fan of it. I have small girly hands, so it's a nice fit for me. I can reach all the buttons very easily. It was hard for me to comfortably reach the two vertical buttons on the side of the X8. The biggest thing I love (X8 also has it) is the plug and charge. That was a nice touch that I loved. It was a toss up for me between the X8 and the Mamba. The price difference is also quite a bit.

I don't know how the software for the X8 is. I'm a fan of the Mamba's though. You can change the polling and dpi profiles and they're saved in your mouse (along with your macros), which is nice. I like that it will autoswitch your profile between different games also.

That's just my info :) I bought this one after my G5 started to die on me and ended up triple clicking on its own. It lasted several years for me though.

So I just got my G9 from Amazon. I need to decide if I am sending it back and ordering something else, or just keeping it. Everyone here recommended the G5; what's the downside of the g9? I saw some good reviews on it, though it looks weird.

I'll also vouch for the Logitech G5 being a great mouse, though the G9 being a later version is probably just as good. I think most people are talking about the G5 because it's been around for a few years now, so a lot of people probably have it. It's also much cheaper than the G9, though the price difference on Amazon is so small.

Without having used the G9 outside of holding it in Best Buy, I'd say you might as well keep the G9 since you already have it.

As far as looks, the G5 is a bit odd looking in terms of visuals, but it feels fine.

One other comment, as far as mouse tracking I think the MS Sidewinder X8 may be the best available at the moment. They're using a newer tracking technology that is reported superior to the laser tracking most other gaming mice are using now. I heard there were some other aspects of the X8 that fell short of making it the outright best, however.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']^^^^
Forgot to mention the Mamba is 130 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I got mine new on ebay for $75 plus shipping. It came out to less than the X8, but I had never owned a Razer product and was a little hesitant to get it. I'm glad with my purchase now though ^.^

From people, I've heard that the G9 is nice in that you can change a lot of things about it to make it more comfortable for you. Keep it for a few days and give it a whirl to see how you like it. That's the best way imo to see if you want to keep it or exchange it. See if there's something you'd like in a mouse that this one doesn't offer you.

Just another mention for the G5 I have been using it since the first orange one and still have that on my xp machine and have the new G5 for my vista laptop. If I ever get around to building my win 7 machine then I would upgrade to a G9 (I have heard from reviews it is great) just because I have had no problems with these mices.

If you want the wireless version of the G9 then go with the G7. I currently use this mouse and it has been great. It does not skip a beat. It also comes with 2 batteries so you can have one in the charger ready to go when the one you are using dies. Lock and Load style!

I personally use the Logitech MX518, although it's an older model. I got it back around 2005 and it's still going strong. A bit of the paint is coming off, but it serves me well when playing FPSs or just doing computer work in general.

Thanks folks. I opened the G9 and it looks nice, I'm going to try some COD and see how it does. Amazon already shipped the old Microsoft so I may keep it (return might cost me more). I love fancy mice. I still remember paying $200 for my first MS mouse in the early nineties.

What about a mouse pad? My current one is a POS. It's never been a problem for office work (since the Logitech MX does wonders), but I feel like both the MX and the G9 have to fight it for gaming.

I'm thinking of going with a Razer, but they seem to have different models.

Tip of advice keep the G9 because it is a great mouse but be sure to install the set point software and then look for the uber mod for the set point software. It makes the set point software much more useful.

I used to have a Razer Krait, but just switched to a Logitech VZNano, or something like that.

I'm quite satisfied, even though it's pretty small. But it goes nicely with my laptop for gaming at school.

You are all prolly gonna laugh at my suggestion, but, I personally LOVE the Logitech... Marble [trackball]. >.> I was starting to really HATE dragging, picking up, placing, dragging, repeat, and rinse, my old mouse. [And, having to adjust the sensitivity... For. Every. Game. I. Own. x.x;;;] My Marble treats me very well, I love the cheap $19.99 bugger.

-Haz

MX5500 (bluetooth mx Revolution mouse & macro keyboard), then the G5, then the MX518 which has issues with the plastic peeling.

My friend picked up the official World of Warcraft mouse. It was not cheap, and I can't honestly say that it was worth it. But that is a really hot mouse. It has glowing LED effects built in, and it's driver software allows you to change the color of the LED, how fast it pulses, etc... It is also specifically configured for WoW. For any WoW junkies out there, it is an obvious purchase. Again, it isn't cheap, so if you aren't into WoW you'll probably want to give it a pass.

I have a horrible time with my G9 on vista it will not switch profiles automatically for anything I have to manually set it anytime I wanna play anything which is just annoying as all get out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826100002

originally designed by A4tech, a fantastic mouse and all i will ever use again. programmable buttons are great, triple fire is awesome and makes all single shot weapons burts with one click, on the fly DPI change, i have the A4tech 750F red and black one, and a black and chrome one. i am picking this one up for the rig i am building now and its cost to performance to features is bar none.

Hi,
Right now i am using logitech G5.Yes, all the driver's of logitech are working in my PC.In my PC Windows 7 has been installed.And logitech software is also working.
But in your PC did not worked this so better you try with G9.It is best for your PC.
Thanks for sharing this information

bread's done
Back