Help me understand something about PS3 game updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Why with PS3 game updates/patches, the size is huge, depending on the game anywhere from 90mb-1.5GB, WTF? I started Socom 4 for the first time today, and I had to download almost 2gb of data/updates (over a hour) but I couldent update cause it keep hanging at 98%, all 3 times.

360 game updates/patches are only 2mb-5mb, and take 2 mins to update. Does it have something to do with the difference in format (blu-ray and DVD)?

A lot of times what happens is that they include all of the DLC in the title updates which results in tiny (100kb) unlock downloads if you actually purchase the DLC. IMHO this is easier than 360 where if you want to play online with someone who has some DLC you don't, often times you'll have to manually go download a large compatability update so you can play with them since obviously you lack the data to display whatever character/skin/etc someone else has bought. On PS3, everyone will always have all the DLC files already.

So it's more of a different philosophy on PS3 than 360. Also, since every PS3 will always have a HDD it is easy to assume users will have the space for those files. 360 could never operate this way because of those arcade systems.

One reason why I rarely play PS3 compared to 360 because everytime I turn it on their is either a firmware update, game update, Ptach or combination of the three. Come on an hour to update Socom 3? Thats PC territory in my view. Then it wouldent even finish downloading the update, I had to delete the partial update data and try again.

::Head in palm of hands:: I figure hey why not try your brand new spanking Uncharted 3 that you one via FaceBook "Find the Ring". I pop that in, created my multiplayer character, played one match, I was really enjoying it alot....then I leave and come back 2 mins later, When I try to play Multiplayer I get an error "Cant get Ticket". I restarted the system and everything, still getting same error, I dunno but I have no clue what that error is. Im starting to lose faith

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I thought it had something or other to do with some patent Microsoft has regarding incremental updating.[/QUOTE]I thought this as well.

Man, what is going on.....I restarted my PS3 and go to sign in my PSN account and I get an error "8071053D", wont let me login or anything, I havent played PS3 in months, but I dont remeber it bein this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back