Help! My PS3 won't update games!

donteatsoap7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I tried to update Socom 4 and it gets to 96% and just stays there. I also tried to update Wipeout but my PS3 restarts. Could anyone help me out on what to do?

Have you removed the hard drive recently? Maybe reseat it if you have. Maybe you have some corrupt files have you tried to scan to see if you can repair them?

have you tried removing all the game data and redownloading it? make sure you save your saves before doing it.

The hard drive still has a lot of space and I haven't removed it lately, or at all. Also, what do you mean by removing all the game data?

[quote name='donteatsoap7']what do you mean by removing all the game data?[/QUOTE]

He's referring to the game data files that contain ...game data (patches/updates/etc). It's in the "game" menu right near the Trophy List icon within the XMB. Don't confuse it with your game save data.

Anyway, delete the game data associated with Socom 4 and try re-installing everything when you're done. Zipper Interactive has sort of dropped the ball with this one, implementing a patch that made online play worse that before, and hasn't done anything to correct it yet. Just my opinion (and the last time I played was several months ago).

[quote name='donteatsoap7']I tried to update Socom 4 and it gets to 96% and just stays there. I also tried to update Wipeout but my PS3 restarts. Could anyone help me out on what to do?[/QUOTE]
Zipper has a really bad patching system that only MAG and Socom 4 uses. When you get the 96% is it from during the internet download part or the installing update part? If it is the installing update part, it might be something wrong with your disc. From what I know zipper's update method rips data from the disc to the hard drive, then patches that data from the update you just downloaded through the internet. If something is wrong with the disc, the update just hangs.

In other PS3 games, it uses the PS3's native update platform. It just finds an update, and installs it to the hard drive. No need for the PS3 to rip data from the disc itself and patch out that data.

[quote name='donteatsoap7']I also tried to update Wipeout but my PS3 restarts. Could anyone help me out on what to do?[/QUOTE]
I've had similar problems with Uncharted 2 and some other game. Here is my fix:

1) Unplug the Ethernet cable.
2) Start the game.
3) At the start screen plug the Ethernet cable back in.
4) The patch prompt should appear.
5) Press X to download it.
6) The game should properly exit, download and install the patch.

Hope this helps.

bread's done
Back