HELP: Need opinion on this HDTV!

[quote name='redgopher']http://www.amazon.com/Philips-42PFL5332D-42-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NV9IMC

Has anyone got this TV? If so, how has it been treating you? Is 8ms a low enough response time for fast-moving games like Dirt, Halo and Shadowrun? I want to minimize any LCD motion blur/ghosting as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about that model in particular but my LCD has an 8ms response time and I've noticed no lag or ghosting in Gears of War, Halo 2, or Rainbow Six: Vegas.

philips tvs have a lot of mixed reviews depending on who you ask. did you look up any pro reviews on it?

Philips TVs are okay, but I agree that I too would not recommend them. I've seen high rates in return due to factory error. Their colors are very off and tend to lean towards the green side. Anytime I've seen a Philips TV go bad, it has a slight to extreme green hue. Philips DVD players also have problems with their component outputs, again with the green. Their LCDs in comparison to other brands also have less contrast resulting in grayish black levels. I would take a look at Samsungs newest line, anything with LNT in the model # i.e. LNT40, the previous years would be LNS40. If you're working with a budget, consider a better brand and a smaller size.

This opinion is from my personal experience; 2 years in CCity Home theater dept, setting up plenty of HTs for friends and family, doing my own consultations on the side, and just my own personal interest in the tech. When it comes down to it, go to a couple stores and use your opinion of what you like best. I wouldn't shop online, in stores you have 30 days to try it out without any restock fees. Also keep in mind that most HDTVs will look fantastic in your home regardless. At home you don't have 20 other TVs to nitpick at.

I loved the picture of the Philips plasma i bought last year, but after a few days it started to overheat.

Took it back, and after trying a Sony, I'm content with my 45" Sharp LCD.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Philips TVs are okay, but I agree that I too would not recommend them. I've seen high rates in return due to factory error. Their colors are very off and tend to lean towards the green side. Anytime I've seen a Philips TV go bad, it has a slight to extreme green hue. Philips DVD players also have problems with their component outputs, again with the green. Their LCDs in comparison to other brands also have less contrast resulting in grayish black levels. I would take a look at Samsungs newest line, anything with LNT in the model # i.e. LNT40, the previous years would be LNS40. If you're working with a budget, consider a better brand and a smaller size.

This opinion is from my personal experience; 2 years in CCity Home theater dept, setting up plenty of HTs for friends and family, doing my own consultations on the side, and just my own personal interest in the tech. When it comes down to it, go to a couple stores and use your opinion of what you like best. I wouldn't shop online, in stores you have 30 days to try it out without any restock fees. Also keep in mind that most HDTVs will look fantastic in your home regardless. At home you don't have 20 other TVs to nitpick at.[/QUOTE]

Can you recommend a nice, sharp, low response time (8ms or less), 720p LCD 42" or larger for 1300-1500?

I'm having a good experience with my Samsung 19" widescreen LCD monitor I bought for my PC... maybe I should go with those guys. I mean, I'm really impressed with the LCDs I bought. Both mine and my wife's don't have any dead pixels and they're gorgeous.

I'm pretty sure there's Sharp LCDs available in that size at that price. Not positive, but you should be fine. And their TVs have 6ms response times, so you'll be fine there. Personally, I'd definitely recommend a Sharp over a Samsung, but Samsung's are also good choices... if you can't spring for a Sharp, go with a Samsung.

[quote name='redgopher']Can you recommend a nice, sharp, low response time (8ms or less), 720p LCD 42" or larger for 1300-1500?

I'm having a good experience with my Samsung 19" widescreen LCD monitor I bought for my PC... maybe I should go with those guys. I mean, I'm really impressed with the LCDs I bought. Both mine and my wife's don't have any dead pixels and they're gorgeous.[/quote]

Sharp Aquos brand, the best LCDs on the market and also the most expensive

[quote name='VipFREAK']How do you guys feel about an LG 1080p 42in. model #42LB5D?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258048&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050030&id=1169857637051[/QUOTE]

The picture quality of the LG sets is fantastic IMO. Vibrant colors, great contrast ratio and fast response time. I had this set but recently, I took it back because the damn thing would power on by itself randomly. Others have reported the same problem with their LG sets and that's why I went ahead and got this one instead.

Just searched for Sharp Aqups in that size. Lets just say they're not exactly a budget brand. Here's one that misses your budget by 100. Looks like it's on sale and has free shipping. I'd jump on that. 6ms, 1080p, looks future proof. Suposedly Aquoses are really good for gaming.

Woah, how's that picture get there?

And yes. That kind of sucks. I find it odd that such a high end TV doens't have a feature that is standard on most low end TVs. Also, OP and other guy, either of you looking for 1080p? I haven't exactly experienced with it and i've heard mixed things about it, so you make the call.

Just read up and found out that 1080p doens't matter as much at this size. Funny how they're selling it on 32 inch sets when it really only shows up at like 50 :p.

[quote name='redgopher']Can you recommend a nice, sharp, low response time (8ms or less), 720p LCD 42" or larger for 1300-1500?

I'm having a good experience with my Samsung 19" widescreen LCD monitor I bought for my PC... maybe I should go with those guys. I mean, I'm really impressed with the LCDs I bought. Both mine and my wife's don't have any dead pixels and they're gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

Are you dead set on LCD over Plasma? If not, there's this...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-42px77u/4505-6482_7-32317315.html

It got good reviews when CNET did an article specifically about TVs for videogames although it can't hook up to a computer. It can be had for 1246 shipped from an (according to CNET) reputable store. I'm ordering mine hopefully within 3 or 4 days so I can post impressions afterwards.

bread's done
Back