HELP need Wii game titles for 7/8 yr old

mckeymse

CAG Veteran
Hi All, sorry if I am in wrong place newbie.....

Ok so I need some wii game suggestions for my 71/2 yr old 1st time gamer son. Ones that will keep him playing when i am busy, challenging but not so hard that he won't play etc.....

OLD hard core gamer, yes killing not to have my own system but hey he comes first now, ya know

any and all suggestions are so very appreciated.

hugs to all gamers rock on

I really think Kirby's Epic Yarn is an awesome game. It's got a unique look, excellent control, and it's not too hard. You can also play co-op. It's a new game, though, so it's $50.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game, but uses simplistic control and the popular Nintendo characters like Mario and Pikachu. It's one of my favorites. Tough to find under $40, though. I bought it for my 7-year-old nephew for Christmas.

Boom Blox Bash Party is like the evolution of Janga -- where you throw balls at blocks to topple them, or carefully remove pieces without everything falling. Lots of fun solo or multiplayer, and only $20 on Amazon right now.

If he's into Star Wars, Star Wars: Clone Wars Lightsaber Duel is just $14 on Amazon. It's getting decent reviews from kids.

I'll second the suggestion for Kirby's Epic Yarn. That is game that is great for both children and adults. It is a game that is easy to beat, but harder to master (get a gold medal on each stage and/or collect all items).

I'd also suggest New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which simply just feels like a classic Mario game, with an option for co-op.

Yeah, the new Kirby is a must-have.

My son (4) just got Spongebob Squarepants: Truth or Square and has really been enjoying it. Can be had for $19.99 at Walmart. If your kid is a fan on Spongebob, you can't go wrong.

[quote name='KingBroly']Kirby's Epic Yarn
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy[/QUOTE]

Yes to all of this. Plus Punch-Out!!, Wii Sports Resort.

Also Gamecube games work and there are a ton of great ones suitable for kids - Luigi's Mansion!

Yes, Kirby, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii.

I didn't see any votes yet for Lego Star Wars. Great pick up and play, plus you can drop in and out like NSMB Wii. (And not violent at all, if you're worried about that. Can't say the same for Lego Batman. Haven't played enough Indy to know.)

Zack & Wiki is an awesome game, but IMO way too hard for a 7-8 year old.

Just a quick note, too... If you're budget conscious, all of those first party Nintendo games are around $50 (unless on sale). Lego Star Wars can be had for $20, so might be a good complement to the others and save you some money.

[quote name='soonersfan60']
Zack & Wiki is an awesome game, but IMO way too hard for a 7-8 year old.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as much as I would love to recommend Zack & Wiki any chance I can, it is simply too hard for a 7-8 year old.

Obviously any of the Mario games. Mario Galaxy 2 is the best of them all in my opinion.

Sonic Colors is surprisingly really good. My kids loved it.

The new Donkey Kong is supposed to be really good.

As stated before, the Lego Games (Indiana Jones 1 was my personal favorite) are good choices. The LEGO Indiana Jones / Kung Fu Panda combo is great for $7.99 from Gamestop. Kung Fu Panda is actually a decent game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schuerm26']The LEGO Indiana Jones / Kung Fu Panda combo is great for $7.99 from Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is only for Xbox 360, and the OP needs Wii titles.

Mario galaxy 1 and 2...there shouldn't be any shortage of games for 7-8 yr olds on the wii.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm pretty sure this is only for Xbox 360, and the OP needs Wii titles.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, you are correct. Sorry.

I have to agree with Kirby. You could always get him some cheap shovelware CARNIVAL PARTY WAGGLE BANG but Kirby is the kind of game he'll enjoy now and be able to look back on later the way gamers now look back on classic NES stuff.

bread's done
Back