Help picking a gaming LCD monitor

Zmonkay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Hey all,

I'm going to be getting a new PC soon (gonna order it, as I have no clue how to build one, from ibuypower.com). I'm not going to get a monitor from them though, as the same monitors they have are cheaper everywhere else.

What I am wondering is, what Monitor should I get? I want 19", and need LCD because my desk has no room for a CRT (though I know CRT is better for games).

I found this one, and customer reviews are good, but online reviews sites I've read didn't really care too much for it:

ViewSonic OptiSync VX924 Xtreme Gaming 19" LCD Monitor (Black/Silver), which is on sale this weekend here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824116355

What would you guys suggest?

Also, any oppinions on my potential rig would be appreciated:

Case ( iBUYPOWER Ninja-918 ATX Mid-tower Case w/450W Power Supply Black )
Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue )
Power Supply ( NZXT PRC-550 550W Power Supply )
Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 4000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Free Software/Game ( Free Game --- Half Life 2 Download Coupon with purchase of any AMD-64 based systems or Mobile Turion notebook )
Processor Cooling ( [New !!!] iBUYPOWER Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
Motherboard ( [New !!!] Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( 2x [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 200 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Maxtor 200 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )
Raid Controller ( None )
Raid Configuration ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Pioneer DVR-110 Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( None )
Fax Modem ( None )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Monitor ( None )
Keyboard ( None )
Mouse ( Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1A USB Internet Mouse Beige )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Meter Display ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack-2 )
IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( None )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
MP3 Player ( None )
TV Tuner ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Headset ( None )
Power Protection ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator )
Printer ( None )
Printer Cable ( None )
Wireless Network Adapter ( [Special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter )
Warranty ( Warranty Service iBUYPOWER Deluxe Warranty Package(Standard Warranty plus: First Year On-site Service and 24/7 Phone Support) )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Total: $1,840.55 (it is a Night Dreamer FX from ibuypower.com)

Thanks guys!

I really like Dell Monitors. They regularly have sales and they are priced right. Good quality too. I personally don't think you are getting the best value out of your computer purchase. There are much better computers that would be at least 500 dollars cheaper. They are all preconfigured but the specs are definitely better.

That viewsonic monitor was $349.99 from them last week. The price seems to go up and down.

I've also read that the height is fixed, so you may want to keep that in mind as well.

[quote name='greenbags125']I personally don't think you are getting the best value out of your computer purchase. There are much better computers that would be at least 500 dollars cheaper. They are all preconfigured but the specs are definitely better.[/QUOTE]

Like what? From where? I didn't think the price, for the components, was too bad.

Also, anyone have an LCD monitor they use for high graphic games they would recomend? I've never had LCD before (except my laptop, which cannot game to save its life), so I don't really know what is best for games. I would like to keep ghosting to a minimum, or avoid it alltogether if that is even possible.

THANKS

[quote name='Zmonkay']Like what? From where? I didn't think the price, for the components, was too bad.

THANKS[/QUOTE]

I know Im gonna get ripped on for saying this but eBay has some nice computers. They are always around 1/3 cheaper than retail. A while ago, i got a 3.0GHz P4, 512 ram, 160 SATA HD, DVD-RW, etc for less than $500 shipped. Now, some of these components could be upgraded for the same price. You just need to be patient.

UPDATE:

after searching the web some more, this may be the better monitor, and Tom's hardware like it, but many user reviews mention lines appearing after using it a while:
Hyundai L90D+ / 19-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / 8ms / DVI / Silver-Black / LCD Monitor with Speakers
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218288&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

I don't care about the speakers on it, as I have a surround sound system I'll be pluggin in, but the monitor itself seems good for gaming. Anyone here have it? So far, my choice is between this and the viewsonic, but the reviews are confusing and bounce back and forth between which one is better.

(of course, other suggestions requested :) )

Update 2: Just ordered the PC, on the recomendation of a few ECE majors. Still not sure on the moitor though. That viewsonic seems to be my best bet, as further reading of the Hyundai customer reviews has revealed that a shocking number of people had the verticle line problem.

The PC won't get here for about 3 weeks though, so I've still got plenty of time to find a good monitor.

For lcd gaming monitors you want as low a response time as possible. I would say the viewsonic is better by that standard alone.However not being able to see both in person kind of sucks. Sometimes you can tell a huge difference with differnt brands sitting next to each other. I think if you went with the viewsonic, you wont regret it. Like other people here I have heard nothing but good things from them.
Let us know what you decide and how you like it!. :)

I have a 19'' FujiPlus I got for about $200 after MIR.
I've played some UT2k4 on it and it is beautiful.
Sorry that I can’t help you out with the monitors you’re looking at OP.

OP, I've looked at both those monitors pretty closely. I'm in the market as well. I almost bought 2 of the Hyundai's until I read about the vertical line problem. I then almost bought the viewsonic, but held out due to the non-adjustable height. Right now I'm looking at the Samsung 940B. Viewsonic also has a new panel that claims 2ms response time.

Just to update, I ended up ordering the Viewsonic, and got it over the weekend. It is a very nice looking monitor, great picture and brightness. I don't have my new PC yet, so I hooked it up to my laptop, and the image is very nice, and text is very readable. I'll update again when I get my new PC and can use the DVI cable and try out some Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 2 on it to see if there are any issues there.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just to update, I ended up ordering the Viewsonic, and got it over the weekend. It is a very nice looking monitor, great picture and brightness. I don't have my new PC yet, so I hooked it up to my laptop, and the image is very nice, and text is very readable. I'll update again when I get my new PC and can use the DVI cable and try out some Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 2 on it to see if there are any issues there.[/QUOTE]

Thank god you didn't go with the Hyundai--I was racing to reply to tell you that horirble line developing problem is alot more common than even the many complaints show!

I'm happy with my Dell 2005fpw though!

OK, update:

Monitor is beautiful, I don't notice any ghosting at all. 1 "live dead" pixel (little red spot near bottom left corner, not noticible until I opened a new text document and used the white background to scroll the screen to look for dead pixels.
Overall: Happy

now the PC:
The gist (it's a long gist, I know) of it is as follows:

1 Orders PC in Nov.
2 PC gets delayed till Jan. 3 due to "shortage of motherboards"
3 PC gets made and delivered by Dec. 20ish
4 A week of using it, and it shuts down randomly.
5 Looks inside PC, liquid cooling system cracked, coolant everywhere, PC overheating
6 Calls tech support (actually helpful people there, not outsourced to India)
7 Calls ibuypower...wow, headache ensues
8 After much debacle, get agreement to send back faulty PC for a NEW PC, since who knows what kind of damage the overheating and spilled coolant did
9 Fedex shipping slip only mentions sending back cooling system, 5lbs. (the PC is about 40 lbs)
10 Calls ibuypower....after much debacle, talk to manager. He says they will *fix* it, not replace it.
I say, no, I was told it would be completely new.
He says that's not their *policy*
I say, then I'll return this one, and buy a new one
ok.....
11. They enter wrong shipping address
12. After calling and correcting it, still wrong, and they ship it wrong
13. Due to wrong address, fedex doesn't deliver it the day they should
14. I call Fedex, correct it. They say it will come next day
15. Next day comes, no PC.
Calls Fedex, Fedex says there was a problem with a truck, so it didn't go out
16. I need it for school, so drive an hour to the Fedex facility to pick it up
17. Wait for over an hour for them to "find" it (also overhear guard saying the delivery guy to my area never showed up this morning... truck problem my ass)
18. Get it home, set up...all seems ok
19. Get it to school (today). It freezes up twice.
20. I install a temperature monitoring program, motherboard temp 50+C (Not good, not at all)
21. Call tech support....they will send me a new coolant system, and have someone come out to fix it.
22. Tech support forgets to give me a ticket of my complaint/order
23. I call them back, they say they will have the tech I talked to call back.
24. 4 hrs later, no call

So, all in all, I ordered mid November, and STILL don't have a working PC.

Overall, fuckin pissed off

bread's done
Back