Help! Reasons to Get a PSP?

hordak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hi guys,

I've been "racking" my head lately trying to find a reason to get a PSP (phat or 2000). It seems like such a GREAT device and I've been seeing a lot of really good deals lately, but I can't think of a single game I'd play on it. (At least not until the new Kingdom Hearts comes out on it.) I do have a DS which I love because of all the good games, but lately, I've been craving good graphics on-the-go --- which, of course, the DS isn't great at. For portable movies, internet, music and Skype, I've got my Nokia N800 tablet... so, I wouldn't the PSP for that.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys, the PSP experts, to help me find reasons which I'm not thinking of.

Thanks!
H.

Aside from it looking really good and having really good graphics for games, I will eventually buy it for Kingdom Hearts. So, I'm wondering if I should buy it now or wait until later. :) Of course, it does a lot more than just play games... the PSP is a portable entertainment device to me (and not just a portable gaming device.) That's why I am considering it.

I bought one for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and I'm not disappointed at all. But I'm confused--you say the PSP is such a GREAT device, and it is, but you wouldn't be using it for Skype, music, internet, etc because you already have a Nokia N800. Then why get one if you can't even think of any games you want on it? Seems like a waste of good money. If you wait for KH you may even be able to get it cheaper down the road.

[quote name='keithp']I bought one for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and I'm not disappointed at all. But I'm confused--you say the PSP is such a GREAT device, and it is, but you wouldn't be using it for Skype, music, internet, etc because you already have a Nokia N800. Then why get one if you can't even think of any games you want on it? Seems like a waste of good money. If you wait for KH you may even be able to get it cheaper down the road.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it, keithp! That's why I haven't taken the plunge yet. I think it IS a great device; it's just that I have different devices that already fulfill a lot of the same things that it provides. On the other hand, it's just a beautiful piece of electronics that delivers games with great graphics. So, I'm reaching out to you guys to see if there is something I'm not considering.

Thx!

There's a lot of JRPGs like Star Ocean 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile, Persona 1 is coming up. I've heard the Killzone and Resistance games are pretty good, both 3rd person shooters if I'm not mistaken. God of War is good if you're into hack and slash. Ratchet & Clank Size Matters is really fun, I just got that today and I'm having a blast with it.

(Cough) Firmware, and the cracking thereof.

Now I'm not going to actively encourage anyone to go out and violate Sony's service agreements. But there is a lot that can be done with a PSP that has had custom firmware installed. One of the more attractive options is the playing of PS1 games. Being able to convert your personal PS1 game collection for use on a portable device is quite nice. There were a lot of solid PS1 games that play very well on the PSP.

Then of course, there are various emulation-focused software packages, which I will also not encourage anyone to use. (sinful things, really) At this point, there is little reason to acquire a video player application for the PSP. Sony has lifted a lot of the more restrictive policies regarding video support on the PSP. So the basic, built-in video functions on the PSP will be more than enough for the average user.

The remakes of FFT, Disgaea, SO1+2 which I can take on the road were reason enough for me.

FF: Crisis Core is also probably worth owning a PSP for as well.

[quote name='hordak']Of course, it does a lot more than just play games... the PSP is a portable entertainment device to me (and not just a portable gaming device.)[/QUOTE]

It's really not. The music player is not very good (and the PSP is a bit big to use as an mp3 player). I can't see any reason to put my digital pictures on it, except to use as wallpaper. I don't think they are making UMD movies anymore, so that goes out the window. It's really just a gaming device, so if you're only interested in one or two games, don't get it. I know it's sexy looking, but it will end up collecting dust.

[quote name='Flak']There's a lot of JRPGs like Star Ocean 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile, Persona 1 is coming up. I've heard the Killzone and Resistance games are pretty good, both 3rd person shooters if I'm not mistaken. God of War is good if you're into hack and slash. Ratchet & Clank Size Matters is really fun, I just got that today and I'm having a blast with it.[/QUOTE]

killzone liberation is a great game, but it's more top down than a traditional over the shoulder shooter. Works very well with the limited 1 nub design.

I'm considering a PSP for Dissidia and Crisis Core. Is the Final Fantasy bundle worth it? It looks like those bundles lack retail cases for the games/movies. Also, should I go for the 3000 or 2000?

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm considering a PSP for Dissidia and Crisis Core. Is the Final Fantasy bundle worth it? It looks like those bundles lack retail cases for the games/movies. Also, should I go for the 3000 or 2000?[/QUOTE]

Value wise it's worth it, but you don't get retail cases with the bundles, so that might bother you. Also, if you plan to download any games from the PSN Store, the 2 GB stick will not be enough space, so you will need to purchase a larger card, making the bundle less attractive. If a UMD of Advent Children doesn't interest you much, you'd probably be better off buying them separately and making sure you get a case for Dissidia. If you preorder the game on Amazon, you get 10 music tracks from the OST, which is more interest to me than the extra cover arts that Gamestop is giving.

As for the system, I really don't know which to get. There are several stores that were selling the 2000 for around $120, so if cost is a concern, you could go that route and save some money.

$120 sounds just right actually, where is it that cheap? The OST looks like a good bonus, I wonder how nice the art will be in the Best Buy calendar. Thanks for the tips.

[quote name='willardhaven']$120 sounds just right actually, where is it that cheap? The OST looks like a good bonus, I wonder how nice the art will be in the Best Buy calendar. Thanks for the tips.[/QUOTE]

Dell had them for $120 a little while back, and new egg had some open box ones for $110, but I searched the VGD forum to get the links and it looks like none of them are on sale anymore, my apologies. You can see the threads if you search "PSP 2000" in the VGD forum. Pretty sure I've also seen them on sale at Amazon, but again nothing going on right now.

If you are interested, there was a deal posted yesterday for Walmart.com with the R&C bundle + 3 additional games for $210. Not sure if that one is going on still though.

[quote name='willardhaven']$120 sounds just right actually, where is it that cheap? The OST looks like a good bonus, I wonder how nice the art will be in the Best Buy calendar. Thanks for the tips.[/QUOTE]

Dell had them for $120 a little while back, and new egg had some open box ones for $110, but I searched the VGD forum to get the links and it looks like none of them are on sale anymore, my apologies. You can see the threads if you search "PSP 2000" in the VGD forum. Pretty sure I've also seen them on sale at Amazon, but again nothing going on right now.

If you are interested, there was a deal posted yesterday for Walmart.com with the R&C bundle + 3 additional games for $210. Not sure if that one is going on still though.

Oh yeah, Scorch posted that used slim PSPs were on sale at Gamecrazy for $89.99 for the 4th of July weekend, and some of the posters reported their Gamecrazy was doing the sale past the deadline, so you may want to check it out. Here is the thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229463

Ive had a number of people ask the same question and its always a mixed answer. Truthfully, as just purely a game based system its like the GC, a few really good games (FF, GOW) and some more niche titles. I personally liked the flexability of the system with movies and stuff, but if you never plan on using them then it might not be worth it. PS1 games especially come to mind to play on it specially if you get that custom firmware, but thats not for everyone.

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm set on getting one... just not brand new (unless maybe that $109 dell deal comes around again.) Will look for one around craiglist in the $50-$80 mark... just need to move quick on those because they move FAST!!!!

Since you're easily swayed into large purchases by the crowd, I've got a special investment offer for you.

Seriously though, if you have to ask, don't get it. Put the money down on your credit cards or start a savings account.

I'm not sure if the sale is still valid (during the 4th of July weekend), but Gamecrazy has used PSP 100x for 69.99 used and PSP 200x for 89.99 used. They are most likely cleared out by now, but wouldn't hurt to inquire at your local Gamecrazy if you have one.

I lucked out and got a used phat in surprisingly good condition the following Monday, all the other stores were sold out. I really don't use the PSP for it's games. There's one or two I really play, but the rest I have no interest mainly because of the control layout. Fighting games just purely suck because of this. However I use it for other things... and no, I don't mean the music/movie playing.

If you have cash to burn, I say go ahead. But if you have to save some money, I'd say just stop thinking about it and move on.

[quote name='depascal22']Since you're easily swayed into large purchases by the crowd, I've got a special investment offer for you.

Seriously though, if you have to ask, don't get it. Put the money down on your credit cards or start a savings account.[/QUOTE]

I never said I was swayed. I asked for opinions and made my own decision. People do this all the time --- that's why there Amazon reviews, Newegg reviews, epinions, eBay feedback system, etc. You also assume that my credit cards aren't payed off and that I don't have any savings accounts. If my question bugs you, please save yourself some minutes and don't respond. Thank you!

[quote name='hordak']I never said I was swayed. I asked for opinions and made my own decision. People do this all the time --- that's why there Amazon reviews, Newegg reviews, epinions, eBay feedback system, etc. You also assume that my credit cards aren't payed off and that I don't have any savings accounts. If my question bugs you, please save yourself some minutes and don't respond. Thank you![/QUOTE]

I was just messing with you dude.

Look, I love my PSP but it gathers alot of dust these days. Personally, I'm not really looking forward to the all digital distribution that they're trying to foist upon us. I like being able to trade and sell UMDs for games that I don't like considering I haven't liked many of the top rated games. Does that help?

The PSP cures herpes, and the light from the 3000's screen is an effective defense against zombies.

All kidding aside, if you can afford it, get it. There are plenty of good games, plus you'll have the ability to play FF7 on the go.

[quote name='depascal22']I was just messing with you dude.

Look, I love my PSP but it gathers alot of dust these days. Personally, I'm not really looking forward to the all digital distribution that they're trying to foist upon us. I like being able to trade and sell UMDs for games that I don't like considering I haven't liked many of the top rated games. Does that help?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man. You're one cool dude again! :)

Well, it's been a couple of years, but I'm here to say that I'm LOVING my PSP... thanks to [three letter acronym]! What IS REALLY cool are the features that have been added to my PSP: eBook reader, mp3 player (that I appreciate more), etc. The eBook reader alone with bookmarking features takes the device over the bar.

Thanks everyone.

End of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a used one off Craiglist. I got my PSP-2000 for $50, including games and accessories. I did a little diy repair, bought a replacement faceplate and back battery cover.

Uses:
killing time between university classes, doctor waiting rooms, etc.
Also nice when someone is using the TV and I can't play my PS2

There are a few good games, though the heavy hitters are going to be released on the PS3 so I guess there's less incentive or need to buy a PSP for the God of War games. Still, I found a few nice hidden gems on the PSP that were great for killing time as well as being entertaining.

If you are cool with buying off the PSN, they offer classic PS1 games to download and play. I personally don't buy stuff off PSN (I hate digital downloads, for various reasons), so my game library is pretty small.

bread's done
Back