Help removing a stripped screw

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all,

My MP3 player is a piece of shit, so I need to fix it. The stereo jack wires came loose or something, and I'd just love to get in and solder it. But the screws are sooo fucking tiny, and even worse, they're stripped. I tried removing them with a screwdriver which got them about half way out, but then it started stripping. Any idea on how to get tiny stripped screws out? Any "screw extractor" or stripped screw remover is too large for these. This is a tiny flash MP3 player.

Thanks in advance,
Full_Throttle

If they are halfway out could you just grip it with a pair of pliers? It shouldn't take much force to turn them.

If you're skillful (and brave) enough, you could try tapping a screwdriver into the screw's head. I've done this before a few times and was able to pull it off just fine each time, and this was on my glasses (on one occasion, the screw was 1/3 out) . I have to assume that your MP3 player is at least as sturdy as my rimless frames, so if you feel bold enough - give it a go. However, I think your best course of action is to visit a watch repairer, jewelry restorer, or a hobby shop (you know, like model trains or R/C car guys). Perhaps they might be able to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they stripped, you were using too big or too small of a screwdriver. Anyway, use a pair of pliers or if you're more into risks, drill a hole through it. Depending on how small they are, you could use a 1/16 or 1/32 drill bit. I'd suggest the pliers though. I tried drilling out a stripped screw on my PSP. Well, since I didn't have the right sized drill bit, I fucked it up permanently. :(

It might be a bit overboard, but you can buy a cheap dremel for like $15 and just cut yourself a new notch to use a screwdriver on.

Dremel is a handy toy to have around anyway :D

Forgot to mention that these things require a hell of a lot of torque to pull out. That's the main reason why they got stripped in the first place. I used a short screwdriver with no grip and it kept slipping. When I tried using my big one with a small head, they were already stripped.

I was going to drill them, but I'm not sure if I have a drill bit small enough for the job. Maybe a 1/32.

If I were go to a watch repair shop, do you think they'd charge me to pull out screws?

Update: I've managed to remove two, which were halfway out, with a giant plier-type thing. I had to maul it with a Black/Decker powerdrill first, because it was at an angle for some reason. Now the other two, I can either demolish with a 1/32 bit, or try some other method. I have this sharp nail-like tool, which I have no idea of what it's used for. I'm thinking I can impale the middle of the screw with it and pull it out?

Worst player EVER for hardware hackers: Cowon iAudio U3

[quote name='Full_Throttle']I have this sharp nail-like tool, which I have no idea of what it's used for. I'm thinking I can impale the middle of the screw with it and pull it out?[/QUOTE]

That tool is an awl most likely.

I'd try the tapping a screwdiver into thing as has already been mention. Then I guess you could try the awl but I wouldn't think that would work or drilling it out. Might damage the player with a drill though.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back