Help say "Shaq-Fu" to Wal-Mart!

BigDirty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Well, first you need to be in Central NJ (Trenton Area) tomorrow night at 7:00. There is going to be a gathering at the IBEW Union Hall on Whitehead Road (Right off of Route 1) in Lawrenceville. The topic of the gathering is to stop Wal Mart from coming into the area again (there are stores in West Windsor, Hamilton, and one coming in East Windsor).

Those who come will be joining me in fighting Wal Mart from opening what would be their 4th store in a relatively small Mercer County NJ

http://letsstopwalmart.org/

IBEW Local No 269 OSHA Training
(609) 392-4889
660 Whitehead Rd
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648

[quote name='XCutioner93']makes me kinda glad there isn't any Walmart stores anywhere near my area (plenty of Target stores, EBs, and Gamestops though)[/quote]

That's because it would be so expensive to get a sizeable tract of land in your neck of the woods. Feel blessed, feel very blessed (even if a 2 bedroom shack in sunnyvale does go for $900K)

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Kill Whitey!

Sorry, I just had to throw that in there.[/quote]

oddly enough i was going to say that

There are 2 Wal-Marts in my area and they are putting stores out of business.

The K-Mart went down pretty fast, and Target is in the crosshairs.

Walmart puts stores out of business, because they have lower prices and a better business plan. Its not a big conspiracy, and in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Starbucks is everywhere, because there coffee is good.

Microsoft has their hands in all things PC, because they're good at programming (for the most part).

Walmart is everywhere, because they're cheap and people frequent their stores.

Its called capitalism people.

I'm suprised target would lose to Wal-mart. The target stores are always so much nicer than the walmarts.

If I were in the area I'd go... I'm glad property values are too high here for Walmart to expand, local stores/regional chains are holding up fairly well because of that. That and their prices are not much lower than anyone here, and they suck in every other category by design.

it pisses me off that there is a walmart in hamilton marketplace
i want a target there even if i do frequent the one in east windsor
where will the walmart be located in east windsor?
that would be the 3rd in mercer county
and this 4th? lawrenceville? even though the one on rt 1 is considered lawrenceville? that would be 2 in that town?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Walmart puts stores out of business, because they have lower prices and a better business plan. Its not a big conspiracy, and in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Microsoft has their hands in all things PC, because they're good at programming (for the most part).

Its called capitalism people.[/quote]
Predatory pricing is not a better business plan, its illegal. Their anti-union tactics are also very illegal. They're under federal investigation for conspiring with a contractor to hire illegal alien cleaners for their stores (operation rollback). Not to mention their discrimination against women thats been going on for years.

But thats just some good old American Capitalism, isn't it? In the spirit of Standard Oil.

Don't even get me started on the anti-trust issues with Microsoft.

i think big dirty our area is a central point mecca for everything that is consumer driven. We do have access to everything and anything in mercer county and while other thread posters cant imagine so many stores our area is very developed(although i live more rural suburban) it can be a good thing to have soooo many more shopping advantages than others throughout the world. i do fucking hate walmart

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='Cornfedwb']Walmart puts stores out of business, because they have lower prices and a better business plan. Its not a big conspiracy, and in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Predatory pricing is not a better business plan, its illegal. Their anti-union tactics are also very illegal. They're under federal investigation for conspiring with a contractor to hire illegal alien cleaners for their stores (operation rollback). Not to mention their discrimination against women thats been going on for years.

But thats just some good old American Capitalism, isn't it? In the spirit of Standard Oil.

Don't even get me started on the anti-trust issues with Microsoft.[/quote]

You misunderstand predatory pricing, what Walmart is doing is plenty legal. Anti-union policies are quite legal (and unions should be outlawed, but thats a discussion for another day.). And the illegal alien cleaners.. thats a moot point, it has nothing to do with "Wal-Mart is evil, they kick out smaller, more expensive places to shop".

Oh, and the anti-trust laws are unconstituional.. just noone wants to commit the political suicide involved with rolling them back.

I'd come, if it wasn't for the fact that I have a huge Italian test the next day and a 10+ page paper due the day after that. It would have seriously taken me like 10 minutes to get there, seeing as my college is only 10 minutes from Route 1.

I find it funny that people that frequent a site for cheap games, are opposed to walmart...maybe if we spent full price on all games, the mom and pop video game stores will still be around

If you study how Walmart does business, you may not like it but you have to admire the ruthless way then do it. They've completely revolutionized inventory management to reduce costs. If you want to pay more than don't shop there though I find it ironic that this would be posted at "cheapassgamer.com"

[quote name='cag1000']i think big dirty our area is a central point mecca for everything that is consumer driven. We do have access to everything and anything in mercer county and while other thread posters cant imagine so many stores our area is very developed(although i live more rural suburban) it can be a good thing to have soooo many more shopping advantages than others throughout the world. i do shaq-fuing hate walmart[/quote]

Exactly.. This proposed Wal Mart is on Olden Avenue on the Lawrence/Ewing Border (Think Halo Farm area), and there is literally a Wal Mart less than 10 minutes away (Nassau Park/West Windsor), along with the one in the Hamilton Marketplace, and the one being built in East Windsor (Old East Windsor Speedway area).

I don't think that the E-Dub one is necessary either since there is the Hamilton literally 7 minutes down Route 130. It's not even them coming into the market anymore, it's about them coming on every available tract of land that they can set one on.

I personally did not have a problem when the only major shopping district in the county was the QB/Mercer Mall area, but things now are just getting too rediculous. I'd rather drive a couple more minutes than have a wally-world/target/best buy/kohls on spots that should be OPEN SPACE.

[quote name='dopa345']If you study how Walmart does business, you may not like it but you have to admire the ruthless way then do it. They've completely revolutionized inventory management to reduce costs. If you want to pay more than don't shop there though I find it ironic that this would be posted at "cheapassgamer.com"[/quote]

I may not like it, but I have to admire it?

As our president would say: Huh?

Many people in favor of free-market capitalism (with minimal government intervention) are the ones who cite small business as the reason why tax cuts should be implemented. So, how can that be true when the same people who love the free market because of small business are also in support of companies that prevent upstarts from even being considered anymore?

myke.

[quote name='BigDirty']there is literally a Wal Mart less than 10 minutes away (Nassau Park/West Windsor), along with the one in the Hamilton Marketplace, and the one being built in East Windsor (Old East Windsor Speedway area).[/quote]

Within a fifteen minute drive from my home, there are (at least):
3 EB Games
5 Gamestops
2 Gamerushes
1 Gamecrazy
2 Best Buys
2 Circuit Cities

also:
3 Wal-Marts
3 Meijer
4 K-Marts

ad nauseum. Whether you love or hate these stores, this model is just sickening. I think this is what BigDirty is pointing out.

myke.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='Cornfedwb']Walmart puts stores out of business, because they have lower prices and a better business plan. Its not a big conspiracy, and in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Don't even get me started on the anti-trust issues with Microsoft.[/quote]

You misunderstand predatory pricing, what Walmart is doing is plenty legal. Anti-union policies are quite legal (and unions should be outlawed, but thats a discussion for another day.). And the illegal alien cleaners.. thats a moot point, it has nothing to do with "Wal-Mart is evil, they kick out smaller, more expensive places to shop".

Oh, and the anti-trust laws are unconstituional.. just noone wants to commit the political suicide involved with rolling them back.[/quote]
No, predatory pricing is illegal. Walmart has sold items for below cost in order to put competition out of business, that is illegal.

Why would you take the right of collective bargaining away from workers? If corporations can work as a single entity, why not allow a group of workers to organize and bargain as one group, to increase their bargaining power? Oh, I'm sorry, thats bad for the allmighty corporation, it must be banned immediately. Its not like Walmart abuses their workers, or forces them to work off the clock, or violates child labor laws, or locks them into buildings at night, or are under investigation or suit in 30 states, including a 50 million dollar settlement in Colorado. No, they're just one big happy Wal-Mart family. And if the workers in a store choose to exercise their legal right to join a union, Walmart doesn't do anything like intimidate workers, fire pro union workers, transfer anti union workers into the store right before a vote, or anything else illegal... No, they're so fair and honest, and none of their workers have chosen to have a union because they just love Walmart so much, they don't have any need for one.

So you'd just abolish all the anti-trust laws and go back to the days of the Trusts? Do you want America to be an Oligarchy?

Why does everyone want to ban Wal-Mart? You can't blame a company for wanting to be the best. God forbid they make a buck in the process.

Every mom and pop store is trying to do the same thing. They'd put Wal-Mart out of business if they could. I don't know any business owner who says, "my bank account be damned, what can I do to make you (the customer) some money?"

I love how people act like Wal Mart is some sort of evil organization that uses deception and backstabbing to dominate the industry. They simply have better prices and keep up with current industry price changes, unlike raggedy ass K Mart. I don't know why people wouldn't want a Wal Mart in their area. A single Wal Mart bring in thousands upon thousands of dollars per month that go directly to the community. Stop your whining, please.
In a small Dallas suburb called the Colony, that my Uncle lives there was a Wal Mart being built. The stipulation was that the city had to pay for a new stoplight to be put up. Well the board had opposition but my Uncle (who is on the board) got them to agree to it and within the first week the taxes from the Wal Mart more then paid for the price of the light and road construction that was a stipulation of the Wal Mart being put in the area.
Sure Mom and Pop stores may be a fantastic view (especially if you're a liberal), but they're being phased out. Their inability to compete simply IS NOT the fault of Wal Mart. Wal Mart's are actually good for cities IMO because they provide hundreds of jobs per location, have cheap food and damn near every other imaginable item, and like I've already stated before they provide money in taxes which go to schools and other improvements.
Summary: Stop crying and figure out what's really going on

See, it's not so much the Wal-Mart putting everyone out of business, it's the fact, like BigDirty said, there's no need for a new Wal-Mart when there's one within ten minutes. It's like that up by my college, where we're talking about, and where I live in South Jersey, where I can travel maybe 10 minutes and hit two Wal-Marts. It's ridiculous.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']
[/quote]

No, Starbucks are everywhere because their franchise startup cost is low, their margins are high, and their product is trendy. The coffee is actually crap, IMO. And even if it were actual crap they were serving, the advertising and business model would allow them to succeed. Making a better cup of coffee isn't enough to be a successful business.

No, Microsoft has their hands in all things PC due to some shrewd decisions by Bill Gates while he worked at IBM, and some stupid decisions by Steve Jobs regarding third party "clones" of Apple hardware, not due to better programming. Microsoft's habit of buying up small development shops to get access to, or even prevent release of, certain sets of source code has a little bit to do with it as well. Writing better code isn't enough to be a successful business.

Its called capitalism people.
And the end result of unchecked capitalism is, in every case, monopoly. Which in turn destroys capitalism. There needs to be a certain amount of regulation in capitalism to enable it to continue to function to everyone's benefit.

[quote name='Indiana']I'm suprised target would lose to Wal-mart. The target stores are always so much nicer than the walmarts.[/quote]

Their service sucks as well as their prices compared to walmart. Period.

[quote name='ryanbph']I find it funny that people that frequent a site for cheap games, are opposed to walmart...maybe if we spent full price on all games, the mom and pop video game stores will still be around[/quote]

Thats a fucking great point.

[quote name='bil4l']Wal Mart's are actually good for cities IMO because they provide hundreds of jobs per location, have cheap food and damn near every other imaginable item, and like I've already stated before they provide money in taxes which go to schools and other improvements.
Summary: Stop crying and figure out what's really going on[/quote]

Wal-Mart = jobs. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wal-Mart = shitty jobs. Really, how many wal-mart workers move significantly up the corporate ladder? How many of those wal-mart workers can actually support a family as a single-income earner? It would seem that the number of jobs in this country is more meaningful to you than the number of quality jobs in this country. How frightfully conservative.

Would you rather have the option of starting your own business, or would you be content if the only available jobs for those with a high school education or less are at Wal-Mart?

myke.

While I respect the OP on the subject of "open Land" and as much land we waste by filling it up with duplicate junk thats almost as close. That argument will have its disadvantages like the ozone polllution caused by people driving the ten "extra" minutes to shop at a different walmart etc.

On the contrary I dont believe in unions and wont. they are an excuse to get lazy and thats all I will say.

I find it funny how anyone that's arguing for Wally-World is trying to make it seem that it's the first Wal Mart in the area. It's not like it's the first, second, or even third, it's the fourth. And it's also not the first time that Wal Mart has been opposed, so let's look at a little back history:

About 1995/1996, the Nassau Park Pavilion was built on a former sod farm at the intersection of Route 1 and Quakerbridge Road in West Windsor NJ. This was the first Wal Mart/Target/Best Buy/Sam's Club/Home Depot in the area.

About 1999/2000 Wal Mart wanted a site on Route 130 in Hamilton (near where the anthrax contaminated post office was). There was severe opposition to this, and the land that was the key piece of this tract was given to the Diocese of Trenton (The Catholic Church) who in turn, sold it to developers to build the Hamilton Marketplace on. The sale by the church circumvented the opposition.

About the same time, the plot of land a few miles north on Rt 130 was occupied by the East Windsor Speedway (midget/sprint car racing). And the town welcomed the development plan because more people were opposed to the noise of the track (there were a few who felt the heritage of the racing should live on, but mainly opposition to the track), and the land got developed into a Home Depot/Wal Mart complex. Talk about Wal Mart/Home Depot/Developers picking their spots.

Now back to modern times. While there has been population growth in the area, the population has not kept up with the growth of the Wal Marts (or any other retail sprawl chain). It's not a matter of not wanting one, we already have more than one that serves the area, it's a matter of not NEEDING another one. I've got to wonder about how it'll effect their own store level business. If it does get built, there'll most likely be a reduction in sales volume at the other area stores, so why expend the capital to build a store for people that are already being served by existing locations?

[quote name='Snake2715']While I respect the OP on the subject of "open Land" and as much land we waste by filling it up with duplicate junk thats almost as close. That argument will have its disadvantages like the ozone polllution caused by people driving the ten "extra" minutes to shop at a different walmart etc.[/quote]
It's our responsibility to respect and preserve the environment. If everyone would actually step down from their monstrosity SUVs that the Department of Transportation (Fedral DOT) has considered trucks, the extra couple minutes in a fuel efficient, hybrid, or electric car would have nowhere near the impact of acres of asphalt and the destruction of wetlands.

And to prove my point, I drive a Subaru station wagon that gets ~28 MPG, far from the greatest but, 3 times better than a truck sized SUV that gets ~9.

Since the late 1960's or so, the tax code has been horrible...for the avg family...the secondary income brought in, just barely covers the total families taxes for the year.. THIS IS AVG numbers..so please don't try to preach to me that a wal mart employee is going to be the sole bread winner...due to high taxes on all tax leves...both members of a family need to work, which is leading to the destruction of family values

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='Snake2715']While I respect the OP on the subject of "open Land" and as much land we waste by filling it up with duplicate junk thats almost as close. That argument will have its disadvantages like the ozone polllution caused by people driving the ten "extra" minutes to shop at a different walmart etc.[/quote]
It's our responsibility to respect and preserve the environment. If everyone would actually step down from their monstrosity SUVs that the Department of Transportation (Fedral DOT) has considered trucks, the extra couple minutes in a fuel efficient, hybrid, or electric car would have nowhere near the impact of acres of asphalt and the destruction of wetlands.

And to prove my point, I drive a Subaru station wagon that gets ~28 MPG, far from the greatest but, 3 times better than a truck sized SUV that gets ~9.[/quote]

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5210

Its a good read, trust me.

walmart's cool, quit bitchin.

god forbid there be a store that has reasonable prices.

the owners of walmart are apparently good business people, and the whole purpose of them starting the stores is to get people to buy things there. They make it convenient by selling alot of different things so people dont have to go to 5 different stores to buy stuff, and usually their prices are reasonable.

The best way you can say shaq fu Walmart is by not shopping there, thats what I do. I drive 15 miles to go to the super target instead of driving 1.5 miles to the Wal-Fart next to my house

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Walmart puts stores out of business, because they have lower prices and a better business plan. Its not a big conspiracy, and in fact there is nothing wrong with it.

Thank you, a voice of reason.

There are more important things to worry about than a successful business doing what successful businesses do.

[quote name='BigDirty']While there has been population growth in the area, the population has not kept up with the growth of the Wal Marts (or any other retail sprawl chain). It's not a matter of not wanting one, we already have more than one that serves the area, it's a matter of not NEEDING another one. I've got to wonder about how it'll effect their own store level business. If it does get built, there'll most likely be a reduction in sales volume at the other area stores, so why expend the capital to build a store for people that are already being served by existing locations?[/quote]

How do you know this? Would it not stand to reason that Wal-Mart owners would not have done the research to make sure what they're doing is profitable? Do you honestly think they just throw random stores up and don't consider the consequences to their own bottom line?

As for the person who shops at Super Target instead of Wal-Mart...I respect you for doing what's supposed to be done in capitalism (that is, spending your money with the business you prefer), but seriously...what is it about Target (especially a Super Target) that makes it less 'evil' than Wal-Mart?

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Target for my clothes, but still.

[quote name='btw1217']Please tell me somebody here watched that South Park episode. This is... perfect.[/quote]

The deals...the deals...

...here...its...a little turtle...

Wal-Mart = shitty jobs. Really, how many wal-mart workers move significantly up the corporate ladder? How many of those wal-mart workers can actually support a family as a single-income earner? It would seem that the number of jobs in this country is more meaningful to you than the number of quality jobs in this country. How frightfully conservative.
Yes I would much rather open a small business with crappy prices, struggle financially, and eventually go out of business because of crappy prices, rather then work at a Wal Mart where the pay is stable, even if it isn't fantastic. But hey if you're working at Wal Mart as a entry level employee, who's fault is it that you didn't get an education, honestly? Don't blame Wal Mart for industry dominance simply because they are better in damn near every aspect of their trade. They have a huge share of the retail market, yet don't overcharge for their products their prices are always rock bottom, so honestly stop bitching. Would you rather work at a Wal Mart which offers Stock Shares, Healthcare benefits, and other assorted plans or a McDonalds or a small business which offer neither of these. A Paycheck isn't the only thing determining whether a job is good or not, I would rather make $7 an hour with a decent health plan then $9 an hour with no benefits. Honestly you have to think of something besides a paycheck. Such liberal views on how our country works, an "all big corporations are evil" mentality will get you absolutely nowhere, especially in this lifetime. You can tell how happy employees are simply by the way they act, I shop at various Wal Marts and rarely see a rude employee. I've gone to Wal Mart in the middle of the night before and the employees acted real happy and seemed joyful, even while working the graveyard shift. I've gone to K Mart and been treated like a dick asking a simple question, obviously their pay effects their attitude. So really stop this annoying nonsense. If the OP is complaining about how their is an overabundance of Wal Marts then I misinterpreted the post and I'm sorry, however people act as though Wal Mart monopolized the industry and started inflating all their prices, which is plain retarded.

[quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='btw1217']Please tell me somebody here watched that South Park episode. This is... perfect.[/quote]

The deals...the deals...

...here...its...a little turtle...[/quote]

lol. I never thought I'd see a South Park episode play out so perfectly in real life.

Hope you guys don't get another walmart. Those stores ruin local economy, abuse employees rights, among many of their other sins.

[quote name='BigDirty']I find it funny how anyone that's arguing for Wally-World is trying to make it seem that it's the first Wal Mart in the area. It's not like it's the first, second, or even third, it's the fourth. And it's also not the first time that Wal Mart has been opposed, so let's look at a little back history:

About 1995/1996, the Nassau Park Pavilion was built on a former sod farm at the intersection of Route 1 and Quakerbridge Road in West Windsor NJ. This was the first Wal Mart/Target/Best Buy/Sam's Club/Home Depot in the area.

About 1999/2000 Wal Mart wanted a site on Route 130 in Hamilton (near where the anthrax contaminated post office was). There was severe opposition to this, and the land that was the key piece of this tract was given to the Diocese of Trenton (The Catholic Church) who in turn, sold it to developers to build the Hamilton Marketplace on. The sale by the church circumvented the opposition.

About the same time, the plot of land a few miles north on Rt 130 was occupied by the East Windsor Speedway (midget/sprint car racing). And the town welcomed the development plan because more people were opposed to the noise of the track (there were a few who felt the heritage of the racing should live on, but mainly opposition to the track), and the land got developed into a Home Depot/Wal Mart complex. Talk about Wal Mart/Home Depot/Developers picking their spots.

Now back to modern times. While there has been population growth in the area, the population has not kept up with the growth of the Wal Marts (or any other retail sprawl chain). It's not a matter of not wanting one, we already have more than one that serves the area, it's a matter of not NEEDING another one. I've got to wonder about how it'll effect their own store level business. If it does get built, there'll most likely be a reduction in sales volume at the other area stores, so why expend the capital to build a store for people that are already being served by existing locations?[/quote]

If Wal-Mart sees a trend of growth in the community, wouldn't it be good business to develop the land now? Instead of waiting for the property value to rise, or a competitor move in? It's a fundamental element of business that has kept Wal-Mart at the top.

Look back in 5 years and see if the store is still there. If they've shut down, then you're correct. If it's still there and making a profit, weren't they right?

convenient and cheap. that sums up walmart. so far they havent put anyone out of business in my area. in fact everyone is building around them to cash in.(including a new target). as far as the big k goes, there prices suck so they get what they deserve.(but i always go there in search of hard to find items since their inventory doesnt move) long live capitalism! long live buying stock in these companies!!

Sorry...TN is too far away from NJ for me to contribute, but props to you for doing your part to fight the tyranny of Wally World. :)

[quote name='Derwood43']If Wal-Mart sees a trend of growth in the community, wouldn't it be good business to develop the land now? Instead of waiting for the property value to rise, or a competitor move in? It's a fundamental element of business that has kept Wal-Mart at the top.

Look back in 5 years and see if the store is still there. If they've shut down, then you're correct. If it's still there and making a profit, weren't they right?[/quote]

There's a couple things though:

The leases are usually more than a 5 year term for a place like this, and even if a store is taking a loss, it can be less damage to keep the store open than it would be to exit the lease.

Even if the store closes down, the land remains developed, there's no going back to the way the open land was before wal mart came through. Do you really think that wal mart/developer would pay to demolish the building and replant the area? I don't think so either.

It all comes down to the entire community having the balls to say no to a project like this. That means the politicians, zoning boards, land owners, all need to be against it in unison. They need to be able to look past the carrot that wal mart dangles, and see what would really lie ahead.

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='Derwood43']If Wal-Mart sees a trend of growth in the community, wouldn't it be good business to develop the land now? Instead of waiting for the property value to rise, or a competitor move in? It's a fundamental element of business that has kept Wal-Mart at the top.

Look back in 5 years and see if the store is still there. If they've shut down, then you're correct. If it's still there and making a profit, weren't they right?[/quote]

There's a couple things though:

The leases are usually more than a 5 year term for a place like this, and even if a store is taking a loss, it can be less damage to keep the store open than it would be to exit the lease.

Even if the store closes down, the land remains developed, there's no going back to the way the open land was before wal mart came through. Do you really think that wal mart/developer would pay to demolish the building and replant the area? I don't think so either.

It all comes down to the entire community having the balls to say no to a project like this. That means the politicians, zoning boards, land owners, all need to be against it in unison. They need to be able to look past the carrot that wal mart dangles, and see what would really lie ahead.[/quote]

In an earlier post, you stated that there had been a population growth. What numbers are you looking at that support your statement that the demand is not meeting the supply?

US Census Numbers for Mercer County NJ:

Population, 2003 estimate 361,981
Population, percent change, April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2003 3.2%
Population, 2000 350,761
Population, percent change, 1990 to 2000 7.7%

I doubt that's a significant number of people to warrant one additional, let alone one under construction, and one proposed location.

bread's done
Back