Help Setting up my Sega 32X

Number83

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have experiencing hooking up a 32 X. It's a Version 1 Genesis attached to the Sega CD. When I hook up all the cables all I get when I power on all I get is a rolling screen. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Have you tried to clean the connectors on the 32x and the genesis? I wish I could be more help, but the 32x I have didn't come with one cable and I cant find it for cheaper than like 10 bucks.

[quote name='warboe']Have you tried to clean the connectors on the 32x and the genesis? I wish I could be more help, but the 32x I have didn't come with one cable and I cant find it for cheaper than like 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess...the conversion cable? Mine was the same way. I bought it on EBay "complete"...except it didn't have the conversion cable. Fortunately, I was able to get one...for $10 bucks!

Thanks for the tip.

Do you have the AV shield installed? Its the metal things that go into the Genesis cartridge slot. Also, do you have a 32X game inserted?

[quote name='dafoomie']Do you have the AV shield installed? Its the metal things that go into the Genesis cartridge slot. Also, do you have a 32X game inserted?[/QUOTE]

I do not have the AV shield. Guess the 'Complete' ebay auction I won wasn't. I downladed a 'How-To' for installation, and the author actually mentioned that they weren't important. Do you really think that this is the issue? Might you know of a work around?

And yes, I tried several games, Thanks!

BTW, great thread on the morning update...I've spent more $$$ because of you!

[quote name='Number83']I do not have the AV shield. Guess the 'Complete' ebay auction I won wasn't. I downladed a 'How-To' for installation, and the author actually mentioned that they weren't important. Do you really think that this is the issue? Might you know of a work around?

BTW, great thread on the morning update...I've spent more $$$ because of you![/QUOTE]
The metal clips only look like they hold the plastic doors open on the Genesis, but it won't work without them, at least not on the Genesis 1, I lost mine before I could try it on the Genesis 2. If you're going to use a Genesis 2, you'll also need the plastic spacer, which it also won't work without (or was that for the Genesis 1? I forgot.)

[quote name='dafoomie']The metal clips only look like they hold the plastic doors open on the Genesis, but it won't work without them, at least not on the Genesis 1, I lost mine before I could try it on the Genesis 2. If you're going to use a Genesis 2, you'll also need the plastic spacer, which it also won't work without (or was that for the Genesis 1? I forgot.)[/QUOTE]

I have a plastic spacer...according to the instructions that is for the Genesis 2. Wondering if I could use a piece of Aluminum Foil in between the 32X and the Genesis unit...Thanks for the help!

Wonder what EB is taking for trade-in on 32X Games...:bomb:

[quote name='Number83']I have a plastic spacer...according to the instructions that is for the Genesis 2. Wondering if I could use a piece of Aluminum Foil in between the 32X and the Genesis unit...Thanks for the help!

Wonder what EB is taking for trade-in on 32X Games...:bomb:[/quote]

The truth is that the metal clips are only needed for Genesis model 1. The grounding plate is also something that is basically useless accept for the fact that it keeps the genny clipped to the sega cd. My little brother is playing Star Wars 32x Arcade as we speak, without the metal clips in the genesis slot. The funny thing is that a couple days ago my games started booting all with scrambled pixels and sometimes the game would not play at all.. I thought I burned the 32x out when I tried to use tototeks master system 2 genesis adapter in the 32x but it turns out that the cart slot on the 32x is wider than the carts and luckly I had a metal clip that is supposed to go in the genny slot.. I slid it into the 32x slot with a game cart and voila! No more scrambled pixels.. As it turns out the metal clip does have a use lol. Btw I tried to get the sms 2 gen converter into the 32x slot n I didn't have enough room above the system to properly insert the converter but I insisted on trying top jam it in anyway. It seems as though I've loosened something in the 32x cart slot causing the carts to be loose instead of snug like they once were. Thank god Sega made useless metal clips that actually work for something..

[quote name='Number83']I do not have the AV shield. Guess the 'Complete' ebay auction I won wasn't. I downladed a 'How-To' for installation, and the author actually mentioned that they weren't important. Do you really think that this is the issue? Might you know of a work around?

BTW, great thread on the morning update...I've spent more $$$ because of you![/quote]
What site did you get the 'How-To' from? I need one for my sega cd.

I used to have a sega cdx and I bought the 32x when it came out. It needed some plastic thing for it to work with it. They said it was going to come out and I waited and waited. Then I found out that they werent going to make it. All I wanted to play was doom.

Wise fwom your gwave!!! Man this thread is old.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']What site did you get the 'How-To' from? I need one for my sega cd.[/quote]

I forget the exact one, but here's a decent one:

http://my.ais.net/~xtreme/SF/SCD/index.html

[quote name='JJSP']Using aluminum foil as a connector just sounds like a bad idea all around. Let us know if you survive.[/quote]

LOL, I survived, but it did not work...I ended up getting a System 2 at a yard sale for free (it was the end of the day and it was marked FREE) and am happy to say it still runs today.

bread's done
Back