Help With a Flash Drive?

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!
Today I bought a Sandisk Cruzer 16gb flash drive, but when I got it home and plugged it on, nothing happened. No lights on the device, it doesn't show up anywhere in the computer, and I don't know what to do. I'm using Windows XP with service pack 2, which it says it's the minimum requirement on the back of the package. What do I do?

First, try it on another USB port on the same computer and see if it works OK. If it doesn't work on two different USB ports, make sure it works with a known working device like a USB mouse or keyboard.

If it won't work on your PC, then try another PC and see if it works. If it doesn't work on two different PCs, then it's likely dead.

As an aside, it's highly recommended to update to XP SP3, since some apps won't work without SP3. No reason not to update to SP3.

Well, I tried other ports but no good, and we only have one computer in the house, and we don't have access to any other computers. I know the ports are good because I used it just last night with my Flip.

And it seems like we tried to update once and it cashed the computer.

Hey! I just plugged in a USB hub I remembered we had and plugged it into that, and now I'm at least getting a light on it!

There is a patch for the flash drive bug for XP on MS's support site. I will put the link here when I can.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Well, I tried other ports but no good, and we only have one computer in the house, and we don't have access to any other computers. I know the ports are good because I used it just last night with my Flip.

And it seems like we tried to update once and it cashed the computer.

Hey! I just plugged in a USB hub I remembered we had and plugged it into that, and now I'm at least getting a light on it![/QUOTE]

Go here to fix your problem! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

I got the cruzer 2GB and i have Window XP SP2 never had any probs.

I have also used it on Vista And Windows 7 No probs.

Right after i plug it in the light comes on and i hear the Microsoft Bell

and i can view the drive.

Hope you find out good luck.

bread's done
Back