Help With MS-DOS (I Think...)

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I just got X-Wing today, and it was apparently made before Windows. I have no idea how to work MS-DOS, so if someone could tell me how to install/play it, I would be most grateful. Thanks already.

first, go to start > run and type cmd. this will get you into the command prompt. access the drive the has the game on it by typing x: (x is your drive's letter) and hit enter. then type dir to show a directory of files on the disk. if there is too much stuff, try dir/p or dir/w. look for something called install.exe or install.bat or setup.exe (something along those lines). this should launch the install program.

Take X-Wing back to the store and look for the X-Wing/TIE Fighter collection that was made to run in Windows.

[quote name='maxflight']dos rocks, no adware at the very least ^^[/quote]

You can always choose not to run adware, you know.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='maxflight']dos rocks, no adware at the very least ^^[/quote]

You can always choose not to run adware, you know.[/quote]

that doesn't stop it from being annoying : )

Yes, it does. If you choose not to run it, it's not annoying. See?

And it has nothing to do with the operating system; saying DOS is better because there is no adware for it (not strictly true, BTW) is like saying the middle ages were much better than modern times because a certain aftershave with a scent you really don't like wasn't available back then.

Just because you open a DOS window, doesnt mean the game will run. If you have Windows 2000 or XP, chances are that the game will not run. Google for DOSBOX, its a free DOS emulation and it works great. The learning curve is kind of high, but read thru the directions and you should get the hang of it. I play Master of Magic with it all the time. Also you need a pretty decent system to emulation DOS. 512 megs of ram is recommended.

ok, I'll be politically correct just for you.

dos rocks because it does not automatically run the MAJORITY of the unnecessary programs/scripts in the background/foreground unlike windows which puts many useless on by default (not saying you can't take it out). Granted, dos is much, much more limited, but I like its efficiency. I also wouldn't prefer surfing on the web on dos instead of windows. In any case, my original comment was not intended to be taken seriously

bread's done
Back