Help with school! (because you're all super smart)

Abalistar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Alright, I'm currently taking a class called Strategies For Technical Professional at ITT Tech, and I need help finding some web sources for this part. Here is exactly how the assignment is explained.

Conduct the research
To get started, you might try the following key words:
'Achieving Necessary Skills'
'Technical Professional' and 'Future' + 'job skills'
'Technical Professional' and 'success strategies'

This week, you are required to submit your list of resources. Using the text box or MS Word (requires attaching a document), list all the Internet resources you used to search for information on the project. Categorize the resources based on their type, such as online reference, newsgroup, and commercial site.

So I'm supposed to find websites for this project(which is called Strategies of the Successful Technical Professional in the 21st Century), through search engines. Sounds simple, but my teacher wants 10 references... for each type of website. I've found about 10 altogether, and almost all of them just have the same exact crap on them.

My problem is, I'm having an awful time finding newsgroups/boards for this. Also having trouble finding commercial sites that actually have info on them. So if anyone can point me in any direction to find websites for this crap, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sort of hoping that another ITT student is here that could help me out.

You folks are my final hope.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='camoor']That's funny. It sounds like your homework is just marketing research on their competition.[/QUOTE]Naw, this is info that I'll be using later on in the project. It's just quite stupid because I have NEVER used this many resources for research on anything in my life. And I generally wait until I'm actually looking for info before I find my resources. -_-

My teacher is just completely clueless. The whole "10 sites for each type" thing is all her. That's not part of the actual assignment. I really despise this class. It's incredibly simple, but then instructor does something to the simple assignment that makes it unnessecarily complicated.

She's a damn n00b. Yes, I called my instructor a n00b!

What it sounds like (from a person who's taught research writing, and by the way, your instructor is using very non-noob methods) from the description you give, is the exact source material is not the only goal of the assignment, i.e., it doesn't matter if multiple websites restate the same types of info. It also sounds like she's trying to get people to do actual research, even if she must force them, because many students do procrastinate, and she'd like to read something quasi-substantial as the final project (gotta say, that had a little of my own projection in it, but I digress).

It sounds like she just wants you to have a working bibliography of sorts. This is useful, especially to compare/contrast sources, evaluate source validity--sometimes difficult for college students to do, because many think CNN info is on the same level as Joe's conspiracy website: straight from his bedroom!--or even have backups should some websites be unavailable later, which happens. I would also guess she's making sure you're not just googling and writing down the first source you see without checking it out. Probably, I'm betting some of her questions in class will revolve around what you found, how it stacked up to other sites, etc.

When in doubt, email your teacher for further explanation. It will only earn you brownie points.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']What it sounds like (from a person who's taught research writing, and by the way, your instructor is using very non-noob methods) from the description you give, is the exact source material is not the only goal of the assignment, i.e., it doesn't matter if multiple websites restate the same types of info. It also sounds like she's trying to get people to do actual research, even if she must force them, because many students do procrastinate, and she'd like to read something quasi-substantial as the final project (gotta say, that had a little of my own projection in it, but I digress).

It sounds like she just wants you to have a working bibliography of sorts. This is useful, especially to compare/contrast sources, evaluate source validity--sometimes difficult for college students to do, because many think CNN info is on the same level as Joe's conspiracy website: straight from his bedroom!--or even have backups should some websites be unavailable later, which happens. I would also guess she's making sure you're not just googling and writing down the first source you see without checking it out. Probably, I'm betting some of her questions in class will revolve around what you found, how it stacked up to other sites, etc.

When in doubt, email your teacher for further explanation. It will only earn you brownie points.[/QUOTE] No, I understand what I'm supposed to do, I just can not find messageboards or anything like that to list. I've found a ton of just plain internet references, but I can't find commercial sites or message boards on this type of info.

If I can't find anything, I'll probably just slap on tech boards and hope they're good enough.

And the teacher is quite clueless. It's an online class, so my explanation actually came from the webpage. She's basically just a babysitter when we're in there. This is the first class she's taught, and she generally has to ask someone else when any of us has a question. The only thing she added to the assignment was the large amount of resources(I think we might actually need 50, the assignment is worded oddly compared to our book).

bread's done
Back