HELP - Xbox chipset and warranty info

gravel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Okay, so I had an Xbox 360 Elite, it got the three red lights. I reported the problem to microsoft, shipped it in, received a replacement. Everything was working fine for a little while. Now, my new elite has been freezing, and at one point I had one red light and an E 79 screen. The screen only popped up once, but the freezing is consistent. I went online to check my warranty status, and it supposedly expired 7/24/09. I received this as a replacement somewhere around 3 months ago, and since it is one red light, they want me to pay $99 to fix it. So my two questions are:

When you receive a replacement from MS, do they not give you any kind of warranty on it, or is it worth trying to call and complain about my warranty date?

If I have to buy a new system, how can I be sure I get the better chipset(Jasper, I believe?)?

(Unfortunately, I have a huge backlog on 360, so simply switching to the PS3 isn't an option at this point. I might end up getting a PS3 at some point, but I have 30+ unplayed 360 games that I want to play, and not have to replace for another system.(Thanks to CAG!)

Thanks for any help/info!

How old was your other 360? They give you a 90 day warranty on the system or the balance of your original warranty, whichever is longer.

Isn't the E79 error one that is covered by the expanded 3 year warranty?

I think they extend your warranty 1 year if you get a replacement?

I had to send in my Elite because of the RRoD and they added a 1 year warranty to it

[quote name='yourlefthand']How old was your other 360? They give you a 90 day warranty on the system or the balance of your original warranty, whichever is longer.

Isn't the E79 error one that is covered by the expanded 3 year warranty?[/QUOTE]

Since the E 79 only had one red light, it isn't covered by the extended 3 year warranty. It has to be three red lights for the extended warranty. :roll:

[quote name='leftwing1018']I think they extend your warranty 1 year if you get a replacement?

I had to send in my Elite because of the RRoD and they added a 1 year warranty to it[/QUOTE]

No, they don't. Second poster was correct. You get 90 day warranty on a refurb/repair. If you had remaining time on the original 3 year warranty, that overrides the 90 days.

When I did it, on my repair account online, they added 1 year, so YES they do/did

Proof that they add one year (I got my console fixed in the Spring this year):

2dl6j9h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gravel']
If I have to buy a new system, how can I be sure I get the better chipset(Jasper, I believe?)?
[/QUOTE]

If you buy anything now it should be a Jasper chipset if looks newer and has only 2 sku's on the side of the box ( the Arcade and Elite).

If you haven't yet, I would phone and complain if you have had previous problems. It works sometimes for me and I've been through 15 360's.

[quote name='gravel']Since the E 79 only had one red light, it isn't covered by the extended 3 year warranty. It has to be three red lights for the extended warranty. :roll:[/QUOTE]
The E74 error, which has only a single red light, is also covered by the 3 year.

[quote name='Roadkill??']It works sometimes for me and I've been through 15 360's.[/QUOTE]
If you've really been through 15 then it has to be you causing them. They don't die often enough for that.

[quote name='YodaEXE']
If you've really been through 15 then it has to be you causing them. They don't die often enough for that.[/QUOTE]

15 Since launch i should have mentioned, I still have the shitty Zenon PRO chipset. Those are shitty.

Purchased an old ass Premium 360 from a CAG here. Was kind of skeptical but couldn't pass up the price. Are there any tips or tricks to prevent the 360 from failing on me? I already purchased an intercooler..

[quote name='Roadkill??']I've been through 15 360's.[/QUOTE]

yeah, if you own 5 of them and have sent each one in twice...otherwise im calling bullshit

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, if you own 5 of them and have sent each one in twice...otherwise im calling bullshit[/QUOTE]

You can call bullshit, but you know damn well that they suck ass, and they have made improvements from the original ones that were launched in 2005. If you know somewhere where i can see how many times it was repaired, I wouldn't be surprised if it was easily over 12.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, if you own 5 of them and have sent each one in twice...otherwise im calling bullshit[/QUOTE]

You can call bullshit, but you know damn well that they suck ass, and they have made improvements from the original ones that were launched in 2005. If you know somewhere where i can see how many times it was repaired, I wouldn't be surprised if it was easily over 12.

bread's done
Back