Heroes of Newerth - Now Free to Play

j0dy77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/f2p_splash.php

Got the email this afternoon. I've only played the beta but will have to give the full version a shot. I'm sure the hardcore fans are pissed with this change, similar to the TF2 community rage.

HoN.png

They couldn't compete with LoL, player base wise, when the game wasn't free. Smart move on their part, but it might be too late.

The number of spamming dirtbags that make their userbase has everyone avoiding it.

I suggest no one wastes their time with that "game"

it was bound to happen, I prefer LoL's graphics.

(as for LoL having 15 million unqiue accounts...that's like a few million players with multiple ones. the group I played with each had 4-5 accounts so they could play against lower ranked payers)

I've been playing LoL for about a 15 months and HoN for about 7 months. As a big fan of MOBA games, I suggest everyone give these games a try!

I had to stop playing LoL because it was taking up too much of my time. Very fun, very addicting, and ventro is a must.

I've heard the community can be brutal to newcomers in newerth. I'll have to give both another shot and see how they've come along. I'm on the HoN side for the more realistic graphics.

You failed to mention that they're make it free to play but they're making it obvious by having three account types. Free, People who buy coin, and people who bought the game.

Nothing like 3 classes of people to put the unity in community. Especially since it's free, no one can ever attain the game purchase status.

[quote name='j0dy77']I've heard the community can be brutal to newcomers in newerth. I'll have to give both another shot and see how they've come along. I'm on the HoN side for the more realistic graphics.[/QUOTE]

Considering F2P players can only play with other F2P players for a little while, I'm sure all the newbies will learn the ropes before placed with veterans.

The new early access think is bullshit though. I bought the game and was promised I would never need to pay real money for gameplay effecting things. I can't foresee them keeping the current system for very long, it's ludicrous.

Isn't this a big kick in the nuts for those who just bought the game for their $10 "sale"? I know that it "differentiates" your status, but really if you cared about that you'd have already owned the game a long time ago. I just see another company wanting to bleed you dry with microtransactions. F2P has come a long way since the days when it meant "free to play". Most F2P games these days actually charge MORE than the standard monthly fee with the amenities most people buy in a single month.

Not supporting OR unsporting their business model choice... I just find it interesting that they'd make one last run at getting people to shell out some cash and then lower the price (hey wait... is HoN run by Nintendo?) :cool:

If I read their F2P FAQ right, this is technically a price increase, as if watching my friends grinding in-game currency was any indication, you either spend countless hours grinding in-game currency to unlock everything (and never getting ahead because heroes get released constantly) or pay more than you would have before to get the same features a legacy account gets for life. It all depends on how much everything that was previously free is now priced at, and how much time it takes to afford them.

I feel that it's a good business move on their part, the people who would never pay for the game increase their userbase while possibly becoming a paying customer, and the future paying customers now put more money and/or time into the game than they would have under the old price model. I'm not sure how happy I am about this from a gamer's perspective (although, if anyone really wanted to play this game before, they could have gotten in on any of the countless $10 sales they had in the past).

Hahahahah. LoL was beating they're asses out so they had to fold and go free. Thats what they get for providing a breeding ground for douche bags. lol too bad its probably too late. Fail.

We have a free section on the forums that is for what youd expect, free stuff. This is the deals section. A deal would suggest things you pay for, but at a lower than normal price.

[quote name='gargus']We have a free section on the forums that is for what youd expect, free stuff. This is the deals section. A deal would suggest things you pay for, but at a lower than normal price.[/QUOTE]

Man, in not one but two threads you're a thread-policing d-bag? I am impressed, good sir.

[quote name='gargus']We have a free section on the forums that is for what youd expect, free stuff. This is the deals section. A deal would suggest things you pay for, but at a lower than normal price.[/QUOTE]

it is a deal, you even said it. this game cost $10, now it costs $0.

and for people saying its a harsh community, i've found this entire pc genre community to be harsh, including LoL.

what are the differences between free and paid members and how does it compare to LoL?

[quote name='yahoosale14']it is a deal, you even said it. this game cost $10, now it costs $0.

and for people saying its a harsh community, i've found this entire pc genre community to be harsh, including LoL.

what are the differences between free and paid members and how does it compare to LoL?[/QUOTE]

LoL is much easier to get into. HoN has a very steep learning curve. Both communities are harsh, mainly in ranked / competitive games. I've noticed HoN has much more leavers / afk'ers / rage quitters than LoL does. LoL's community is slightly more forgiving to noobs, mainly in low levels.

HoN "legacy" accounts are for people who payed for the game before today. They get access to all champs. Free accounts have a 10-15 champion rotation per week similar to LoL and have to buy champs if they want them permanently, but the more you play you can be upgraded to a "veteran" account and have some other perks.

LoL is more fun and I like the art style more, but HoN can be a nice change of pace from time to time.

Was tempted a lil while back to try this but was turned off when I realized it was P2P. Will definitely give this a try now. Thanks for the heads up OP.

This game has gone down the shitter since becoming F2P. The community is even worse than it used to be.

I played the game and it was just terrible. When players get fed they REALLY get fed. You lose money when you die which is complete bs. The majority of the people on the game are also complete a-holes. I even heard rumors of the admins or devs for the mod being the same way. League of Legends is sooo much better in every way.

bread's done
Back