Hey Cheapy, did OXM offer to interview you?

whitereflection

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
In the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine, there's a feature called "The Power of $100" where three writers are each given $100 to see how many games they can buy. Their hauls are decent enough - but pitiful compared to what a CAG can do with $100 - and it's a fun feature to read. (If you're curious, the girl scores the best haul and spends the least money - surprise! Girls are good at shopping! - despite blowing a quarter of her budget on a coffee mug and Rock Band boxers.)

What bothers me is the sidebar accompanying the feature written by an editor for Consumerist, where he contributes his tips on getting the most bang for your buck. His advice? I'll let this jewel speak for itself:

[quote name='Consumerist editor Phil Villarreal'][Gamestop] has a godsend of a game return policy, letting you return any used games within a week for any reason. So you could buy a used copy, beat it in a week, and return it with no loss out of pocket. If you want to keep on playing - say it's a longish game or has incredible online multiplayer - just return it and buy another copy. Repeat as needed until you get bored.[/quote]

Wow. I hope this guy wasn't actually paid for this tidbit when I could provide even better info for free: just pirate your games. You won't even need to waste gas money!

I remember seeing CAG mentioned on G4 and elsewhere in the game press a few times, so I'm sure at least one OXM editor is aware of CAG. Why wouldn't they think to interview the owner of a website devoted to getting the best game deals for a piece like this? It's pretty messed up that someone who works for a company that supposedly defends consumers' rights would advocate ripping off retailers. In fact, OXM - or PSM, I don't recall - has already run this feature before, and one of the writers then named Casey Lynch mentioned that you could buy strategy guides for a penny - something he probably learned of from here - and the publication of that article happened to coincide with the time when retailers started really cracking down on the sales of penny guides.

No one remembers anymore, but the return policy on used games used to be at least 14 days, and I want to say 30 days when Babbage's, Software Etc., Funcoland, and EB Games were all separate stores, but I can't recall. There's no doubt that there are some Gamestop customers who are unaware of its return policy, and now when they read this article, I'm afraid people will start abusing it thanks to this dick.

To be fair, he does mention that he never pays full price for games, and buys DLC codes "for a buck or two on eBay". If that's true, then at least he's not a total waste of oxygen and I learned something new today. I'm surprised OXM let this print, though.

Girls aren't the best shoppers. (It's not hard to find bargain stuff.)
I'm not surprised you can just go to gamestop and buy lots of games worth 3-5$.

I was actually reading this last week and wondering why they didn't mention CAG, too. It seemed like the one place they seriously should have mentioned.

Once again, CAG get shagged just cause the community dont pay full price, therefor we are ignored for that. Seriously fellas, this article screamed "CAG put the rest of the buyers to shame om what you really can get for a $100 dollars"

Take a good look at what they bought: Rock Band, Table Tennis, Prey, boxers, and 1st gen XBOX .. sure you can buy them cheap BUT are you going to take the time to play or even use most of them? Something tells me they are not. They totally missed the idea of this article, its not about building the library but the value of gaming. This article was a total cop out and I was raging on the porcelain throne cause of it when I read it.

So either you pay the full retail price, simply return used games within the week after you beat it, or flat out pirate it to get media coverage, BUT do some research, get the timing right, then get a great deal on a games and gaming related items? Pprrfftt WHATEVER!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']I was actually reading this last week and wondering why they didn't mention CAG, too. It seemed like the one place they seriously should have mentioned.[/QUOTE]

CAG doesnt count because this site doesnt actually sell games. True they could have mentioned it for sake of doing so to create awareness of game related deals but that wasnt the point of the article. Besides why would they give free advertising for this site when they didnt actually buy anything from here or use it as a source? Its the old "Why do it for free when you cant make money from it" deal.

Besides I got OXM for first time off that deal amazon was running and so far it has been a joke. The magazine is just xbox propoganda and nothing else. I have never seen one thing that has had any insight or anything aside from self serving nonsense. Even their big fallout new vegas article they advertised on the front didnt have one comment on the game really, it was more like a long advertisement instead of actually talking about the game or what their impressions were.

I also cringed when I saw what was said about the Gamestop return policy. Jackass mindsets like that ruin good things.

[quote name='Rozz']I also cringed when I saw what was said about the Gamestop return policy. Jackass mindsets like that ruin good things.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem with the Consumerist. They can raise awareness with actual issues (like the ECA ordeal) but they also blow things out of proportion when it comes to "rules".

PSM did the same thing in 2007, they gave 3 interns $100 to buy all the games they could. One of them said they were at EB or GS where $9.99 used PS2 games were 20% off and they said only 1 game got the discount, with no mentioning of why they didn't question it. It sent the message of letting the store get away with it. Another person mentioned penny guides at GS and how you can ask for them, I'm sure that made GS crack down on guides too.

None of the hauls any of them got were that impressive, and anyone on this site could have gotten at least a 2x or 3x collection of games for the same $100.

I believe Game Informer also did an article similar to this a year or two ago. As for the one guy saying to exploit the 7 day return policy at Gamestop to your advantage, the clerks at most of my local GS stores were touting the weeklong return policy a year or so ago telling every customer that 'they could return a game even if they beat it within the 7 days for a full refund'.

So when you have the people at GS themselves whoring out the super lenient return policy it does seem to make it 'ok' in some people's eyes. Have I used GS in this fashion? Maybe about five years ago, but since the closest GS store to me is super nice to me(due to a ton of pre-orders I've done over the last year) I try not to exploit them as much as I once did.;)

Hey YoshiFan, did you actually check PSM for all the details of that article? I thought I was the only one who collected magazines. (Did you actually go through all your PSMs to find it?) If not, you have a freakishly good memory.

Has anyone actually bought DLC codes on eBay for $1 or $2? I've checked and never seen anything like that, and even the codes for the less popular games go for at least $5.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I think developers prefer you to pirate over buying used.[/QUOTE]

I've often heard this, but is it actually true? Developers don't see a penny either way, and however you feel about Gamestop, there's no way gaming could have become as mainstream as it is if there wasn't a nationwide retailer with over 4000 stores. I've often found that online games that have been pirated heavily also tend to have shitty communities - if you buy games used or new, you're more invested in the game and are more likely to want it to flourish, I find.

I didn't look it up, I do save most of my game magazines though. I have a strange memory I can remember details like that and if you were to pick at any game in my collection from around 1996 onward I could tell you where it was purchased, for how much, the year and possibly the month as well as remembering dates of when things happened and prices in general. It never worked when studying for a test in school though.

Yeah it was a pretty lame article. Funny too, since I got my subscription to their magazine from this website! $5 for a years worth of toilet reading? Still a good buy. Boy, the article sure missed the boat though... The emphasis should have been on what the buyer wants first, and then tools they can find and use (cheapassgamer, ebay, etc) to get what they want at a cheaper price. Maybe they all should have been looking for the same items and then see where they were found for the cheapest? Most gamers (me included) dont care about the coffee mugs, t-shirts, and 10 year old systems that probably wont get played. Speaking of played, this "experiment" of theirs was pretty poorly played.

I also read this article recently and was amazed they didn't mention CAG.

My subscription for OXM was only $5 for an entire year. Where did I find out about such a great deal? CAG of course!

bread's done
Back