Hey I am about to upgrade to windows 7 but one more thing to ask.....

Okay my currect PC has Windows XP 32 bit on it but here is the problem (I dont know if its a legit legal copy or a fake copy ) ...I bought it off of craiglist so I dont know, but I dont think its a legit copy.....

So I bough the Windows 7 UPGRADE version (32 bit) , so I am wondering if I can do a clean install with the upgrade version if I have an unlegit copy of XP ?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Okay my currect PC has Windows XP 32 bit on it but here is the problem (I dont know if its a legit legal copy or a fake copy ) ...I bought it off of craiglist so I dont know, but I dont think its a legit copy.....

So I bough the Windows 7 UPGRADE version (32 bit) , so I am wondering if I can do a clean install with the upgrade version if I have an unlegit copy of XP ?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you can. Just google something like "windows 7 upgrade clean install" and you'll get what you want.

You're right on the border of legality and morality.

[quote name='iRent']Pretty sure you can. Just google something like "windows 7 upgrade clean install" and you'll get what you want.

You're right on the border of legality and morality.[/QUOTE]

okay thanks for the info.

also is there a way for me to determine whether I have a licensed copy of XP or a illegal copy ?

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft offer a checker that you can download. You have to download it before you download any Microsoft programs.. (i.e movie maker)

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Okay my currect PC has Windows XP 32 bit on it but here is the problem (I dont know if its a legit legal copy or a fake copy ) ...I bought it off of craiglist so I dont know, but I dont think its a legit copy.....

So I bough the Windows 7 UPGRADE version (32 bit) , so I am wondering if I can do a clean install with the upgrade version if I have an unlegit copy of XP ?[/QUOTE]

Technically it does do a clean install. Upgrade process from XP just checks for the presence of existing, valid operating system and then proceeds to install from scratch. XP -> 7 will cause it to delete everything iirc (except personal files of course). Only Vista -> 7 leaves your existing installed programs in place since those two operating systems are so similar. (Hoping my memory is right on all this, check online otherwise)

Yes you can do it just fine. As long as you have windows xp on your pc that is all it cares about, it wont check or go online to check your XP cdkey. All it wants is windows xp directory on your hard drive as proof your actually upgrading

It is essentially the same as you could used to use a upgrade disc to do a full format and install on a completely blank drive since upgrade discs are the exact same thing as a full version disc, only difference is upgrades are designed to tell you that they are upgrades in the interface menus and such. But MS finally got wise to people buying a upgrade disc and using it to do full installs and changed it slightly on windows 7 upgrades so now you have to have a previous windows directory on your pc already.

bread's done
Back