high netflix numbers .... 80K to 125K of each movie 450K members??

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
i called up netflix to see if the 3rd movie i had coming was out of stock or if they didnt get it yet (land of the dead) It was out of stock.... I asked them how could it be on the short wait list before it even came out and i was sort of shocked by the names and numbers the dude on the phone gave me.....

they get between 60,000 to 125,000 of each movie (the bigger the movie the more copies) and they have almost 450,000 memebers..... It just might be me BUT These number seem to be high.. (i find it intersting that they got 100,000 copies of land of the dead but they said 150,000 people had it on their list so maybe next week) .... They did say they got 125,000 copies of batman begins and all were checked out (something like 200,000 people on list????)

100,000 of each movie say if they paid 10 bucks per movie that would be a million bucks for every movie they get... Hell even if they paid 5 bucks that would be 500,000 per movie and say 10 movies come out a week... Im i to belive that Netflix is Spending 5 million bucks per week on movies ???

its cool and all that land of the dead is on my short wait list (i just picked up another japan horror flick instead) I was just thinking these numbers were way high... I wonder what BBO numbers look like

[quote name='Scorch']You mean numbers?

Do you honestly care?[/QUOTE]

well just saying if these numbers are correct how are they making a profit... even go on the high end of 450,000 people paying 18 per month .. that would only net them around 8.1 million per month... If they were paying out 5 million in movies per week they would be losing almost 12 million per month

do i care... probally not but bored with nothing to do until lost comes on in 30 mins...

Yeah but I'm sure they buy the movies dirt cheap (pennies over cost). Not to mention they are just buying the disc, not the package, and they are placing such a large order, so the distributor can probably give them a great deal.

But yeah those numbers do sound way too high for the number of copies purchased.

I thought that Netflix has about 4 million subscribers.

Wall Street is all ga-ga over Netflix, but from what I understand they have yet to turn a profit. They charge too low a price, then shipping and advertising eat up what profit there could be. Plus they lose a TON of people each month who do not renew so they have to advertise even more to get new customers.

How often do you send back the titles? If you watch too much, that might have something to do with you not getting a brand new release.

marc

Netflix customers who have fast turnover (I'm guessing the threshold somehwere around 12 per month) will experience longer wait times for popular movies. Their best customers are those who keep the movie for a long period of time since the bulk of their cost is postage.

New customers will seldom experience long or even short wait during the trial period. That changes when you're longer new and make heavy use of their service.

There is also suspicion that they throttle heavy users by delaying the next movie to ship.

From what I've heard, Netflix also has a revenue sharing arrangement with the movie industry. This lowers their capital expenditure by not having to buy the movie at retail prices.

[quote name='wilcat']Netflix customers who have fast turnover (I'm guessing the threshold somehwere around 12 per month) will experience longer wait times for popular movies. Their best customers are those who keep the movie for a long period of time since the bulk of their cost is postage.

New customers will seldom experience long or even short wait during the trial period. That changes when you're longer new and make heavy use of their service.
[/QUOTE]

I've started to notice that, when I signed up everything came in the next day, now movies seem to come in slower and slower. Perhaps I should start pacing myself and not watching them the day they arrive. Although I'm not exactly sure what the point of having the 3 DVD plan is if the wait time continues to be this long.

I don't even bother with new release movies, I usually just add it to the end of my queue and wait for the wait to be gone then move it to the top.

[quote name='wilcat']Netflix customers who have fast turnover (I'm guessing the threshold somehwere around 12 per month) will experience longer wait times for popular movies. Their best customers are those who keep the movie for a long period of time since the bulk of their cost is postage.

There is also suspicion that they throttle heavy users by delaying the next movie to ship.

From what I've heard, Netflix also has a revenue sharing arrangement with the movie industry. This lowers their capital expenditure by not having to buy the movie at retail prices.[/QUOTE]

That is completely true. I averaged about 20-24 movies a week on a steady schedule for about a month until i started noticing a pretty big delay in most of the items on my queue. Dvds were taking longer to be received and the next dvds in line were taking longer to be sent out.

I wrote an email and the rep actually told me that I was being penalized for having excessive deliveries. Of course it wasn't phrased that way though. Instead, its the OTHER customers who are REWARDED for getting less titles and they end up getting expedited shipping and first dibs on queued items.

It seems BBO is also lying about when they receive your movies. Then after they tell you they've received it, they wait even longer to send out another one. My average total time to get a new movie in the mail is now around 8-10 days. I signed up around 10 months ago, and the turnaround was superb, but it has slowly gone downhill since then.

And this is with only putting old available movies at the top of my queue. The only reason I stay with them is because of all the great extra stuff you get (two free movie/game rentals a month, occasional free DVD purchases, coupons on purchases, lower monthly rate for loyal members until next year).

I try to complain about DVDs not shipping fast enough, but I've stopped ever since I heard they will permanently ban you if you report DVD issues too often. And I've sent numerous email complaints and only get generic computer responses and no compensation or promises of better service.

bread's done
Back