High Quality Blu Ray Player

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
My girlfriend was looking at getting her dad a Blu Ray player for Christmas. We want to get him a high quality player and I know nothing of Blu Rays. I have had my ps3 and it has been my Blu Ray player so I don't know anything about normal standalone Blu Ray players.

He is one of those old guys who enjoys brand names and I have only heard of good things from sony blu ray players. So what is pretty much the best Blu Ray player I can get? preferably

Last edited by a moderator:
From everything I have read it comes down to the PS3 versus [FONT=Verdana, Arial]the Sony S350 versus the Panasonic BD35.

[/FONT]

I was actually eyeing the S350, any inputs on this item?

and we would get him a PS3 but its more than a standalone Blu Ray Player, and he would NEVER buy a single game, and even if he had a game he wouldnt play it, hes just one of those guys hah.

But yea, the Sony S350 anyone?

[quote name='BrolyB593']I was actually eyeing the S350, any inputs on this item?

and we would get him a PS3 but its more than a standalone Blu Ray Player, and he would NEVER buy a single game, and even if he had a game he wouldnt play it, hes just one of those guys hah.

But yea, the Sony S350 anyone?[/quote]

I picked one up on BF for under $200. Might still be able to find this deal if you shop around. Ignore the folks that say buy a PS3. I didn't want another gaming console either, I only wanted a stand-alone unit. Why spend $400 on a PS3 when you can get a stand-alone for half as much. The BDP-S350 is also upgradeable via ethernet or cd-r.

BTW, you should've picked up on the Samsung deal @ Amazon today. Could of had 8 movies + player for around $150.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why not just get him a PS3? It's one of the best players out there and is easily upgradable via firmware.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player according to many sources.

I got one to play games but when I saw my first Blu-Ray on a HDTV, I was sold. Everything looks (And sounds) amazing.

[quote name='brennok']From everything I have read it comes down to the PS3 versus [FONT=Verdana, Arial]the Sony S350 versus the Panasonic BD35. [/FONT][/quote]
Yup. I own the S350. Not had a single problem personally, but there are some complaints about disc compatibility and audio dropouts at AVSforum. Problems like these seem to happen to all brands to varying degrees though.

Hmmm

Well it looks like we'll probably get the Panasonic BD35 and then Ill get the 4 Blu Rays for free basicallly from Amazon and then the 2 straight from Panasonic and Disney.

Im not 100% sure so more discussion is welcome and appreciated, but at the moment we are leaning heavily toward the idea noted above.

As always, thank you all for your input and help.

I have done extensive research and testing between Blu-ray players so I can give you a very accurate picture of the playing field right now. The Blu-ray landscape has drastically changed over the past 3 months, with newer standalone players finally passing the PS3 in overall quality. Specifically:

The Pioneer BDP-51FD is by far the highest quality Blu-ray player under $500. It is not the fastest nor is it the most user-friendly, but it has by far the best A/V quality for Blu-ray & DVD (using latest firmware) as well as by far the best build quality - it is built like a tank. So for the A/V enthusiast, tweakhead, or person who appreciates gear that feels solid, this player is the obvious choice.

However that Pioneer player will run you around $415. If you want something a bit cheaper, your next best bet is the Panasonic DMP-BD35 ($220) or DMP-BD55 ($310); while they are not in the same league as the Pioneer, they are probably the next best bet. The Sony BDP-S350/S550 are also good, but a notch below Panasonic. While the Panny/Sony players do not offer video or build quality that approach the level of the Pioneer, they are a bit more user-friendly and significantly cheaper which some may need.

The PS3 would probably be the worst choice you can make; it's DVD upconversion is weak compared to newer standalone players mentioned above, it has no ability to deinterlace 1080i Blu-rays to 1080p, and it has less features than the Panasonic DMP-BD35 while costing twice as much. Also, since it is for an older person he would likely be much more comfortable with a standalone player.

Finally, whatever player you do get him, make sure you instruct him how to update it to the latest firmware. Blu-ray is still evolving and thus any players will need to receive firmware updates in the near future. The more user friendly players like the Panasonic can be setup to download and apply firmware updates automatically in the background when connected to the internet, so if the person is bad at burning CD-Rs and whatnot but has a wireless router, you might want to consider buying a wireless ethernet bridge and setting up the player for auto firmware updates. Another option is to call the company and request them to automatically send CDs in the mail when new firmwares are available - Pioneer I know will do this for free if you request it.

[quote name='Ruined']I have done extensive research and testing between Blu-ray players so I can give you a very accurate picture of the playing field right now. The Blu-ray landscape has drastically changed over the past 3 months, with newer standalone players finally passing the PS3 in overall quality. Specifically:

The Pioneer BDP-51FD is by far the highest quality Blu-ray player under $500. It is not the fastest nor is it the most user-friendly, but it has by far the best A/V quality for Blu-ray & DVD (using latest firmware) as well as by far the best build quality - it is built like a tank. So for the A/V enthusiast, tweakhead, or person who appreciates gear that feels solid, this player is the obvious choice.

However that Pioneer player will run you around $415. If you want something a bit cheaper, your next best bet is the Panasonic DMP-BD35 ($220) or DMP-BD55 ($310); while they are not in the same league as the Pioneer, they are probably the next best bet. The Sony BDP-S350/S550 are also good, but a notch below Panasonic. While the Panny/Sony players do not offer video or build quality that approach the level of the Pioneer, they are a bit more user-friendly and significantly cheaper which some may need.

The PS3 would probably be the worst choice you can make; it's DVD upconversion is weak compared to newer standalone players mentioned above, it has no ability to deinterlace 1080i Blu-rays to 1080p, and it has less features than the Panasonic DMP-BD35 while costing twice as much. Also, since it is for an older person he would likely be much more comfortable with a standalone player.

Finally, whatever player you do get him, make sure you instruct him how to update it to the latest firmware. Blu-ray is still evolving and thus any players will need to receive firmware updates in the near future. The more user friendly players like the Panasonic can be setup to download and apply firmware updates automatically in the background when connected to the internet, so if the person is bad at burning CD-Rs and whatnot but has a wireless router, you might want to consider buying a wireless ethernet bridge and setting up the player for auto firmware updates. Another option is to call the company and request them to automatically send CDs in the mail when new firmwares are available - Pioneer I know will do this for free if you request it.[/quote]

Some great info here. I am curious to know how more improved these players are compared to a ps3 and my pc bd drive.

I am in noo rush to upgrade to a stand alone but how much better is the video quality in these better players?

nice info.. thanks.

A problem I have had with my ps3 player is that occasionally the frame rate just drops randomly. I havent connected via hdmi to my onkyo receiver.

I have only noticed this "lag" with my ps3. I cant figure it out. The only way to get it back to normal speed is to skip a chapter.

[quote name='Ruined']That link is only for a small part of the overall picture. Yes the PS3 is fast, but other players eclipse it in A/V quality and other areas, and many will value things such as A/V quality over speed. In my case I'd easily take a player that looks better over one that is faster, though others may differ there. Using that link would be like buying a car by only looking at its 0-60 performance and absolutely nothing else.

In terms of DVD upconversion, the PS3 fails every single one of the Secrets of HT/Hifi DVD upconversion benchmarks. The new Panasonic/Sony players do well on the HQV DVD benchmarks and the new Pioneer actually manages to best the Silicon Optix Reon processor in said test and in real life material using its new v1.17 firmware (I have both). The PS3 simply can't compete with some of the new standalones in DVD upconversion.

As for Blu-ray disc, 1080p24 output differs slightly between units, but there is a difference. Right now the Pioneer BDP-51FD offers the most clean & accurate output out of all the Blu-ray players out there when its colorspace is set to 4:2:2 & professional mode. However, when you throw 1080i60 Blu-ray discs such as Nine Inch Nails, Galapagos, UFC, etc into the mix players wildly differ. The PS3 fails completely here as it has no ability whatsoever to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p. The new Sony/Panasonic players do a good job here, though not quite as sharp as the Pioneer.

In terms of audio quality, all of the new standalones can bitstream nextgen codecs unlike the PS3, and even at its $220 price the Panasonic BD35 can decode TrueHD & DTS-MA. The Pioneer has fantastic analog output quality with its Wolfsen DACs so if you run a stereo music analog bypass with your home theater system, the 51FD serves as a fantastic analog optical player. Or, if you need analog 7.1 you are not going to top the Pioneer. PS3 can't bitstream, has no analog multichannel outputs, and its analog stereo outputs are low fidelity.

In other words, standalones have begun to bypass the PS3 in the all-important A/V quality field. The Panasonic BD35 is just a tad slower than the PS3, costs half the price, and offers better A/V quality & more features. The Pioneer rules the roost in terms of A/V quality but you sacrifice speed and a bit of user-friendliness in exchange for that maximum A/V quality potential.[/quote]

Interested in tech stuff, so any links to info above would be cool. Can you cite where you get this info from throughout your post. Specifically your info--

As for Blu-ray disc, 1080p24 output differs slightly between units, but there is a difference. Right now the Pioneer BDP-51FD offers the most clean & accurate output out of all the Blu-ray players out there when its colorspace is set to 4:2:2 & professional mode. However, when you throw 1080i60 Blu-ray discs such as Nine Inch Nails, Galapagos, UFC, etc into the mix players wildly differ. The PS3 fails completely here as it has no ability whatsoever to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p. The new Sony/Panasonic players do a good job here, though not quite as sharp as the Pioneer.

FYI--- the ps3 no longer only converts the audio signal to Linear PCM and as of a few months ago does bitstream Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD.

I am not debating that the ps3 is a better player, but it is a good deal if you also play games, ect. Any more info on the above would be great. Thanks.

[quote name='bulldog93']Check out this thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206123

You also get two free Blu Rays (Nightmare Before Xmas and Ratatouille) with purchase of a Panasonic player. You have to send in a form for them.[/QUOTE]

I just got it for $150 from sonystyle.com on Black Friday. Upgraded the firmware via Ethernet, and I love it so far. I've watched 3 Blu Rays and a few scenes from a couple others I haven't had time to watch yet and been super impressed with the picture quality.

I've also watched a couple DVDs and been impressed with the upconversion. Probably a little better than my old Sony upconverting player (NS75H) that I was using before.

If you can get a deal, that's a very good one. PS3 is great if you're a gamer, but with it being $400 it's a tough call. I wasn't interested as I don't game enough to need a second console, and I wanted a player that would work with my harmony remote without having to get an adaptor.

And with this being a gift for your girlfriend's father, it's probably a waste as I suspect he's not a gamer.

[quote name='StevenPF']

FYI--- the ps3 no longer only converts the audio signal to Linear PCM and as of a few months ago does bitstream Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD.

.[/quote]

This can not be correct.

[quote name='guyver2077']This can not be correct.[/quote]

you are correct - I was wrong. The ps3 can only bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS.

Great info Ruined. You helped me out with similar info when I was looking for an HD-DVD player. I am looking for a new blu-ray player for the near future and this discussion definitely helps. And thanks for the post OP.

bread's done
Back