High speed internet

I don't know if it's available to you, but SBC DSL is only $26.95 a month. It works pretty good for XBL. Mine isn't blazing fast, though. I average around 300kbs.

It depends where you live, how much it costs, etc. I like in Brooklyn, NY and have Optimum Online (which my job pays for he haw).

Any service that is reliable should be fine, whether it is cable or dsl. I personally overall prefer cable modem as a high speed service, but the debate goes on forever. The Verizon DSL around here is a lot slower than cable and has very little upload bandwith but that shouldn't be too big a problem if you just want to use it for Xbox live.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']Alright my fellow cheap-asses, I need to know what high-speed service to go with for xbox live. Dsl or cable? Aol broadband or road-runner cable? Any advice is appreciated.[/quote]

however depending on where you live, time warner is running a deal that is digital cable and a 3 meg connection for 46 a month, and aol for broadband is not a ISP it is just a service that you run on your existing broadband connection or at least as far as i know
unless you have a faster service available, time warner's road runner is the way to go

Optonline (cablevision) approaches 10 megs a second. I think i'd die if I had to go back to DSL :) j/k

Dsl is slower than cable in my experience. Cable internet is just like beign on a lan. It is easy to hook up a router, and additional computers. Dsl has that lame software you ahve to install.

I use msn dsl, works great. Faster than dial up and almost as fast as my cable internet I used to have but was more than twice as much a month. Only pay $24.99 a month, whereas comcast cable internet was $59.99 a month here. Haven't had any issues playing Live with DSL, I have a wireless network and it never lags and recieves a strong signal. If you want to save money and don't really need to dowenload a bunch of files uberfast, then DSL is the better choice.

Big Nick,

You're right about it being slower (there are exceptions) but as far as the router....they work with DSL fine too, and if you have a router you don't have to install the software to the PC's. You can configure the router to authenticate to the DSL modem through the PPPoE.

Of course, one benefit to some DSL service is that you can use multiple PC's without having to get a router. When I had verizon dsl a few years ago I just installed the software on each PC and had the DSL modem connected to my switch....each machine got it's own IP address from verizon....that you can't do with cable...sometimes there are some internet based services that don't work or need additional configuration when you're sharing a single IP address with a router, and you don't need to with DSL that works the way mine did. There are always advantages and disadvantages........

Overall, cable rules....

[quote name='BigNick']Dsl is slower than cable in my experience. Cable internet is just like beign on a lan. It is easy to hook up a router, and additional computers. Dsl has that lame software you ahve to install.[/quote]

[quote name='jshorr']Big Nick,

You're right about it being slower (there are exceptions) but as far as the router....they work with DSL fine too, and if you have a router you don't have to install the software to the PC's. You can configure the router to authenticate to the DSL modem through the PPPoE.

Of course, one benefit to some DSL service is that you can use multiple PC's without having to get a router. When I had verizon dsl a few years ago I just installed the software on each PC and had the DSL modem connected to my switch....each machine got it's own IP address from verizon....that you can't do with cable...sometimes there are some internet based services that don't work or need additional configuration when you're sharing a single IP address with a router, and you don't need to with DSL that works the way mine did. There are always advantages and disadvantages........

Overall, cable rules....

[quote name='BigNick']Dsl is slower than cable in my experience. Cable internet is just like beign on a lan. It is easy to hook up a router, and additional computers. Dsl has that lame software you ahve to install.[/quote][/quote]

I know, its just a pain. Cable rules!

I was just writing about this on another thread, where someone was setting up their wireless network. You will need a router to share the internet connection if you are going to get 1 IP address from the cable company, which is standard. Sometimes they will let you have more than one for free, or sometimes you can buy them for say $5 per extra address per month. If you can only get 1 and/or don't choose to pay a higher monthly fee to get more you will need a router.

Exception: If you were dead-ass broke you could use a PC as a router and use internet connection sharing but that's not recommended, the PC would have to be on for any other device to reach the internet and I don't know how well it would work with Xbox live. Definately not recommended.

What I would recommend is a linksys brand router. On the official supported list for xbox live and tivo, among other things. Strong parent company (Cisco.) Quick firmware releases to address new applications and issues. Good customer support. Always been happy with linksys.

[quote name='BigNick']I know, its just a pain. Cable rules![/quote]

Cable does rule, but configuring a router for dsl literally takes 10 seconds. Even you could do it, Nick ;)

I've got mine set up jshorr described as far as XBOX Live. ICS has shown no problems with me running Live, of course my experience is my own and yours may very. I plan on getting a router but until I do ICS seems to work fine.

I have Comcast in PA and it is much faster than DSL. Even the techs are amazed by the speed. They used to charge like 5 extra bucks for 5 IP addresses a month. I went to do it and they changed it to free. They assign your one IP to the router you have and you can split it off there. Only problem I had was that my 80 foot cat5e cable wouldn't work to my Xbox off the router but it would if you plug directly in to the modem. I might go wireless but I am nervous about interference.

If they are actually giving you 5 addresses a month now technically you wouldn't need the router at all - you could just plug the cable modem into your hub or switch. Usually though they do charge, or don't offer more than one. If you only get one (or want the extra security that the router and firewall provide) you can use the 1 external IP for the router and assign a basically unlimited amount of internal private addresses like you said.

There's no reason that your 80 foot cable shouldn't work. The theoretical limit is 328 feet without something to repeat the signal (hub/switch). Check for interference near the cable run such as other electronic devices, heat, cordless phone bases. If that doesn't work I'd try replacing your 80 foot cable. You can get 100 feet of Cat5/6 pretty cheap on ebay.

Jake

[quote name='Aryss']I have Comcast in PA and it is much faster than DSL. Even the techs are amazed by the speed. They used to charge like 5 extra bucks for 5 IP addresses a month. I went to do it and they changed it to free. They assign your one IP to the router you have and you can split it off there. Only problem I had was that my 80 foot cat5e cable wouldn't work to my Xbox off the router but it would if you plug directly in to the modem. I might go wireless but I am nervous about interference.[/quote]

I replaced it three times from three different boxes. I even tried it at my parents one night just to see since they have the same service. I also noticed it would work on short lengths like 15 feet. I knew the length shouldn't be an issue but I figured the router may be blocking it. It's a Linksys but I can't find anything that says there is a limit. I figure the cable is fine since it works when directly plugged into the modem I even called Linksys for help but they were confused.

Aryss,

Since your 80 feet run is nowhere near the max of 328 feet, something else is going on. If it's not interference, it's something else. Something is causing the signal to degrade over the long run. If it's not the cable, then unfortunately it might be the ethernet interface on the linksys. Are you on the latest firmware of your linksys router? Is there a link light on the back of the xbox and the linksys port when you use your 80 foot cable? I know this isn't a tech forum so if you'd like any additional suggestins or help please PM me.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get AOL broadband! I used AOL broadband for about 3 months this past year and absolutely hated it! I had the aol broadband through time warner cable and whenever I called AOL tech support (which was a lot,) they always told me that they couldn't do anything about the problem and told me to call Time Warner Tech support. After a few months I just got rid of the AOL broadband and decided that hell, I'd rather go back to 56k MSN then deal with the crappy AOL broadband.

Personally, I prefer Time Warner's Road Runner Cable internet connection over anything else. That's what all of my pals use and it works absolutely flawlessly for them, and not to mention that it's faster than hell. Unless you are within like a 3-mile radius of a place that offers DSL, go with a cable connection. I'm not sure how good Comcast internet is, because Time Warner has my territory covered (which is a suburb of Minneapolis, MN) but I'm sure it's great. My advice for you, go with the cable internet connection. If you can, I'd say get Road Runner. But, whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM AOL BROADBAND!

Regardless of how many computers you intend to use with broadband you absolutely, positively need to get a router. With prices starting at a mere $20 it is the single most important security function you can add without adding any load to your computer(s).

This alone is worth the cost of purchase.

bread's done
Back