Hinge Crack times TWO - DOH!

redsox6391

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So ten minutes ago I was playing some Pokemon, but when I shut it off, I noticed something horrible.

ANOTHER fuckING HINGE CRACK!

This is the second one! The first one happened LAST summer. So when I get back from work I am going to have to go through the same fucking process all over again. fuck. I hate this. I want to switch colors. Stupid fucking hinge cracks.

You guys are making me paranoid of my hinge now!!! I inspect it everytime I use it!!! No signs of any cracking, yet.
Is it due to normal useage, or is the hinge getting stressed any some way?

You know... If you changed your avatar, you might have better luck! I had to bust your chops a bit when I seen your avatar!! :lol:

6.gif

I've had my Polar Lite since Day 1 it came out in the US (June 11 I think?), and it is perfectly fine, although the touchscreen is getting worn out from all of those damn Ouendan spinners ;)

Bought a Onyx at Christmas time, no cracks but there are little wear spots from that little condom looking sleeve thing that i keep it in...just bought Castlevania DOS, what a great game!

I think the hinge crack is only happening in the polar white ds lites. mine contracted it about 5 months after I bought it. it doesn't really bother me that much, but the second it gets bad or just aesthetically displeasing, i'll be contacting nintendo to fix it for me.

I've had mine for a few months, no cracks as of yet. I'm pretty sure it's only a cosmetic thing, right? It doesn't actually break the hinges.

Mines been cracked for around 6 months. Hasn't got anyworse and I'm not anal so I've not bothered with it.

Screens are perfect, no sense risking dead pixels on a replacement for a cosmetic defect that doesn't bother me.

[quote name='yukine']I've had mine for a few months, no cracks as of yet. I'm pretty sure it's only a cosmetic thing, right? It doesn't actually break the hinges.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just cosmetical, the DS is far from being rendered useless. Only reason to worry is if you are anal retentive.

[quote name='halu102']Yeah, just cosmetical, the DS is far from being rendered useless. Only reason to worry is if you are anal retentive.[/quote]

Exactly. Dead pixels are a far greater annoyance than a simple hinge crack which never worsens. I used to protect my DS Lite in a case, but these days, I carry it in my purse with no case whatsoever. DS's can take a beating. My hinge crack has never worsened, and I'm good with it.

those hinge cracks are likely from you opening the ds from the side. open it from the center and you won't be putting so much pressure on one end

The problem is the hinge cracks get much worse over time, since they are caused by overtightening of the plastic in the factory, and are stress fractures. So if you have a hinge crack, take care of it now before it gets worse and renders your system useless. I have seen people have the led lights fall off their systems and have the whole top screen fall off from the hinge crack and these are adults who take care of their stuff.

Mines been cracked for at least 6 months and hasn't gotten the slightest bit worse. Just a little crack in the middle of the hinge. And it shouldnt' get anyworse as crackign alleviates that pressure.

If the light and screen are falling off, something worse is wrong with it than just the normal little hinge crack.

At any rate, it doesn't bother me and not worth sending it off and getting one back with dead pixels.

In the unlikely event that it did get seriously worse down the road (which I doubt will happen given it's not changed at all in 6 months+) I'll just pick up a new one. $130 not a big hit to my budget.

That sucks...I was thinking of getting a polar white but I heard about hinge cracks so i just went with the black DSL instead (since I liked it just as much anyway). I find overall DS lites are quite crappily made actually...I've played with quite a few of them and I'd say about 30% of ds lites have some issue with them. Maybe not an issue to make it unplayable or something...just not function as smoothly as it should...

[quote name='SL4IN']I think the hinge crack is only happening in the polar white ds lites. mine contracted it about 5 months after I bought it. it doesn't really bother me that much, but the second it gets bad or just aesthetically displeasing, i'll be contacting nintendo to fix it for me.[/quote] Not for my Onyx. Maybe it was because of the constant drops, but it did crack. This is the third time that it happened, I had a polar and a original DS that both had hinge cracks.

When I get this fixed, (Or when I get a new Polar White one, getting tired of the Onyx color) i'm going to treat it has if it's god.

bread's done
Back