Hitachi Drives, good or bad?

decrot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Anyone know if Hitachi drives are reliable? im looking at the 0a38016 model and never had any experience with hitachi drives before. I've always bought a seagate.

I bought one about two months ago and it's running fine. If you're buying from Newegg, I believe most of the negative reviews stem from their subpar packaging of the drives. I'd suggest buying from Amazon or Zipzoomfly.

[quote name='JadoJodo']As I recall, Seagate bought Hitachi, so anything post-merger will probably be worth it.[/QUOTE]
seagate bought hitachi? are you mistaken? don't you mean maxtor

[quote name='decrot']seagate bought hitachi? are you mistaken? don't you mean maxtor[/QUOTE]

You are correct! I got those two confused. I would check the Tom's Hardware benchmarks on it as well as the NewEgg ones.

[quote name='decrot']Anyone know if Hitachi drives are reliable? im looking at the 0a38016 model and never had any experience with hitachi drives before. I've always bought a seagate.[/QUOTE]

They're OK. They've been IBM's OEm supplier for a long time. Western Digital's quality has improved, and Seagate/Maxtor are one and the same as mentioned, Quantum is long gone, so there's not really much difference in HDD quality nowadays.

[quote name='JadoJodo']I would check the Tom's Hardware benchmarks on it as well as the NewEgg ones.[/QUOTE]

The Tom's Hardware review was pretty positive. It's comparable to the competitors across the board if you're using it in a desktop. The one thing that it lacked was access time (which is measured on the order of 0.000001 seconds).

bread's done
Back