Hitatchi 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM SATA drive for PS3 @ NewEgg.com, Now $59.99 AR ($20)

[quote name='slowdive21']interesting review...

Pros: Great price for space

Cons: Died after about 3 weeks, lost all data

Other Thoughts: Used in PS3, Should go with segate[/quote]

You have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. For instance, here is one from a seagate 2.5" sata hdd:

Pros: can't say there is any pros.

Cons: Purchased 2 of these Drives and the first one died while formatting. and the second one died 6 days later.
I sent the first one back for another one and when the second one died I asked for refund. Will let you know what the out come is on it.

Other Thoughts: It looks like these drive are not going to have a very good track record.

This is the best deal I've seen for a replacement PS3 drive yet. The stock drive in my PS3 was a hitachi, too. There's a good deal for a 500gb going on, but it's a little more money that I wanted to spend.

So has anyone actually put this Hard drive in their PS3?
Any problems or concerns?

Also im guessing you cant use the cashbox option on this. ((From Live.com))

I did and it works great. You wouldn't know any difference that I had done it other than if you checked out the system information and saw the amount of free space.

I installed this a couple days ago and everything seems fine so far, it took all of 10 minutes to swap out the drive. After the format I was left wth 263gb of space. I did not receive a billing sheet in the box for the rebate, did anyone else have this happen to them?

[quote name='jtghw']I installed this a couple days ago and everything seems fine so far, it took all of 10 minutes to swap out the drive. After the format I was left wth 263gb of space. I did not receive a billing sheet in the box for the rebate, did anyone else have this happen to them?[/quote]

yeah i just printed out the invoice newegg emailed me and sent that for the rebate. this worked fine according to the rebate tracker.

[quote name='HowStern']Yeah I've been using it for a couple weeks now and everything went flawlessly from the get go.[/quote]

Sounds great Howstern, WatchdogXC, and pun123.

Thanks for letting me know. Know ill be confident and excited when I go to buy this. :)

yea, i put mine in a few days back. smooth as butter.
just now threw the old 80gig in an external enclosure and i'm now using it to move movies from the htpc to the ps3. mostly just because working with the XMB and blu-ray remote is way more convenient than mousing around xp.

damn i'm lazy.

also: for the guy who asked about it, for all the dozens and dozens of rebates i've gotten from newegg, i have always just printed out the reciept online. so you'll be fine.

and OH! one big caveat! if someone out there is planning to upgrade by backing up to an external USB drive, throwing in the 320, and then restoring from that external USB drive (which is the easiest and most logical way to do this) BEWARE!

the PS3 evidently has SOME issues SOMEtimes with SOME usb enclosures. i managed to hit the jackpot. 2 of my 3 enclosures had this problem. what happens? namely, the backup goes perfectly, and then when you go to restore after installing the new drive, the ps3 says "no backup information found here" or something along those lines. it finds the drive, finds the backup, and then at the "counting" stage, it stalls out and fails with that error. it's badass.

i figured out one way to fix it, at least in my case. so if any of you guys happen to win the "my ps3 hates my usb drive" lottery, come crying in here and i'll see if i can be of assistance.

good luck all!

[quote name='gepet0']If you clone the drive will the new drive work or do you have to format and reload everything?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that would work or not. The backup utility basically does though though. You back up everything, then after putting in the new one and formatting, you go and restore what you backed up and it is just like you left the old one.

For my backup, I just used a 80GB drive and I had a reader that I just plugged into it and turned it into a usb drive minus the enclosure. I use it at work to try and recover stuff off of people's HDDs and had used it before and knew it worked.

If you are like me and are kinda iffy about this hard drive(hitatchi)...

Well I have a better deal only if you are planning on buying an enclosure with a 320 WD Scorpio hard drive

Take a look at the math:

$79.99(Hitatchi-HDD)+($12 Nippon lab enclosure)

=91.99-($20 MIR)=$71.99 ship NOT incl

or
this NEWEGG combo( 136441) = $76.88 ship incl

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.136441

(THIS IS THE BETTER DEAL READ ON)

So in the end you can get a quality western digital hd plus you don't have to pay and extra $20 upfront.The prices will work out the same
because you will be paying for shipping with the hitatchi.

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried using a 3.5" HDD in an enclosure to restore my PS3 stuff on there but it doesnt work. It doesnt show up in the backup utility. It just cant find the HDD.

Do these SATA harddrives have to be anything specific?

Like 2.5" or 3.5"?

Im seeing much cheaper deals on ebay for internal SATA HDDs..
Considering getting one off of ebay.., they even come with free 3 to 5 year warrantys.

It has to be 2.5", as 3.5" won't fit inside of the PS3. 5400RPM is preferred, as that's the speed of the stock drive. Some people have reported possible issues with 7200RPM drives due to heat, and a minimal increase in loading times.

I wouldn't touch a hard drive purchase on eBay if you gave it to me for free. You never know what you're getting with buying a drive from there.

[quote name='shrike4242']It has to be 2.5", as 3.5" won't fit inside of the PS3. 5400RPM is preferred, as that's the speed of the stock drive. Some people have reported possible issues with 7200RPM drives due to heat, and a minimal increase in loading times.

I wouldn't touch a hard drive purchase on eBay if you gave it to me for free. You never know what you're getting with buying a drive from there.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head on both accounts. I haven't really seen many tests that put a 7200PRM drive significantly ahead of a 5400RPM drive, so I would just stick with the stock speed. And yeah, I wouldn't buy any kind of storage from eBay, unless it's a reputable company that happens to have an eBay store. Buy it from Newegg, TigerDirect, ZipZoomFly...anyone...

Well.. I mean I bought my HDMI cables off of ebay for dirt cheap and they were almost pretty much exactly NEW and work perfectly..

Actually, they arent cheaper on ebay. Oh well. Im going to cough up $80 + $7 in shipping for this. I only have less then 1GB left on my 60GB HDD for my PS3. I need this.

My money right now: :-({|=

And dont make fun of me! Im on cheapassgamer ok?!

I did the same picked up an enclosure and had no problem with putting my 60G in and formatting a 2nd partition fat32, used backup (55G-should have just deleted some game files was a little lazy took an hour) then restore, my new one is working awesome. Plenty of room. DL a bunch of new demos just to test it, no problems.

[quote name='A_FITZ']Guys, is a Terrabite possible on the PS3..? After people telling me theres no such thing and a person before telling me there was...I just found this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3346290&Sku=TSD-1000AS[/quote]It's terabyte, for starters. :whistle2:s

The Barracuda 7200.11 is a 3.5" desktop drive, not a 2.5" laptop drive. The Seagate drives that are laptop/2.5" drives are the Momentus. WD's drives for laptops are the Scorpio line, and Hitachi's drives are Travelstar drives.

If I buy this off newegg should I buy it with or without a 2 year warranty? ((Almost runs me $107 with 2 year warranty)

Should I really be worried that it might break in a year? I mean..the one in my PS3 lasted 2 years. ((Stock 60GB))

[quote name='A_FITZ']If I buy this off newegg should I buy it with or without a 2 year warranty? ((Almost runs me $107 with 2 year warranty)

Should I really be worried that it might break in a year? I mean..the one in my PS3 lasted 2 years. ((Stock 60GB))[/quote]The Hitachi drive has a 3 year warranty. You don't need any "additional" warranty.

Also, a step-by-step process on doing the swap. One of many, actually:

http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62032875,00.htm

Hmm...decisions, decisions...

If I replace my current 60 GB HDD with this one, all I have to do is back-up my game saves on a flash drive and than just install my games again?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Hmm...decisions, decisions...

If I replace my current 60 GB HDD with this one, all I have to do is back-up my game saves on a flash drive and than just install my games again?[/QUOTE]

That is what I did since I did not have a spare HDD handy to back up everything else. I had to re-download and/or re-install all my games, but the game saves transferred just fine from the flash drive.

Keep in mind, if you do F@H and have not associated your account with any specific team, your work units will not be saved or transferred.

Well I got mine in the mail, and I replaced my drive but o boy was that not fun......

freaking screws got stripped on me, and I had to sit there with a needle nose plyers taking 2 of the screws that got stripped out.

After that though, it was a very simple and straight forward process, and it went nice and easy, and worked flawlessly. I made a back up of my ps3 on my Freeagent go 250gb drive ( had to format it to fat 32 for the PS3 to detect the my USB drive ), and it backed up everything from my game install data, games saves, wallpapers, music, videos, my PSN account, my PSN games, even the home beta, all got copied perfectly.

+ some internetz for sony making such a simple and easy to use backup method.

did the same thing on my 60G, took a small drill bit and drilled a hole in the screw in the middle, just enough to get a grip with needle nose. Worked like a charm. The lesson here is get the right tool for the job rather than grabbing any old screwdriver.

Okay guys, I need tech support. Got it installed just fine, luckily had the perfect screwdriver. However, it's a new PS3 that I installed it into, had never been turned on before, and it's giving me weird messages.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

"If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains update date of version 2.36 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region."

So apparently it has to be started up with the stock HDD first before you can put in a new one. Unless you have system software on a disc, which I don't...

Any thoughts? I'm going to take the new HDD out, but the original back in, and see if that works, then try taking it out and putting the new one back in again. I hope I don't have a defective HDD or a defective PS3! Wish me luck. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully there will be some advice for me. :S

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Okay guys, I need tech support. Got it installed just fine, luckily had the perfect screwdriver. However, it's a new PS3 that I installed it into, had never been turned on before, and it's giving me weird messages.

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

"If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains update date of version 2.36 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region."

So apparently it has to be started up with the stock HDD first before you can put in a new one. Unless you have system software on a disc, which I don't...

Any thoughts? I'm going to take the new HDD out, but the original back in, and see if that works, then try taking it out and putting the new one back in again. I hope I don't have a defective HDD or a defective PS3! Wish me luck. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully there will be some advice for me. :S[/quote]

The same thing happened to me and I couldn't find any other cases of it. Before I did the swap, I connected an external USB HDD and ran the PS3 backup utility on it. When I put in the new HDD, it gave me this message so I went to the playstation website, downloaded the 2.53 firmware update, put it on a USB stick in the directory it specified, then held select+start until it started the process. Then it let me reformat my drive and I was up and running. After I was at the XMB, I went to the PS3 backup menu and told it to restore from my USB drive... it took about 30 mins but everything is up and running exactly as I had it before.. even movies and music I copied from my upnp share were restored

+1 for Easy upgrade.

Ah ha! So all I need is the update software on a USB stick and I should be okay? I'll download it and give that a try. Thank you so much! I put the original HDD back in and it worked fine, started it up, got the settings right, but then the new HDD was back in and saying the same thing.

Why are we the only ones who had this problem?

I'm going to try downloading the update to a stick and popping it in. Hopefully that does it! I don't want to have to lug an external HDD over to backup. Hopefully that's not necessary, because, as it's a new system, I have nothing I want to back up.

Was on a nice box on my front porch : D

Time to install this beauty... ((It came in perfect packaging to where it looked like it would be impossible to damage it.)) Never knew it was so small

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Ah ha! So all I need is the update software on a USB stick and I should be okay? I'll download it and give that a try. Thank you so much! I put the original HDD back in and it worked fine, started it up, got the settings right, but then the new HDD was back in and saying the same thing.

Why are we the only ones who had this problem?

I'm going to try downloading the update to a stick and popping it in. Hopefully that does it! I don't want to have to lug an external HDD over to backup. Hopefully that's not necessary, because, as it's a new system, I have nothing I want to back up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if it's a new system, there's no need to do a backup. Good luck with the upgrade!

[quote name='Mastershredder']Yeah if it's a new system, there's no need to do a backup. Good luck with the upgrade![/quote]

Got it to work doing exactly what you told me! Thanks for the help. Maybe newer PS3s don't have flash memory and just keep everything on the HDD?

Any Cheap Prices/deals for an External USB HDD?

I need to transfer everything from my 60GB to this new one.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Got it to work doing exactly what you told me! Thanks for the help. Maybe newer PS3s don't have flash memory and just keep everything on the HDD?[/quote]

Could be. Glad it worked out for ya.

Please someone answer me..

Any Cheap Prices/deals for an External USB HDD?

I need to transfer everything from my 60GB to this new one.

I don't know anything offhand. Just check out newegg or amazon and find one you like at a size you want. Any will work. You just have to format it to FAT32. Also, you'd probably get better answers on the PS3 board at this point and not bumping up this constantly.

You won't be able to back up everything. Unfortunately you can plug in a large hard drive and only be able to back up 32GB of data due to the FAT32 format limitation. I had to go in and delete a bunch of stuff to upgrade to this Hitachi 320 GB drive. I mostly deleted my game installs to make room. Another problem I have run into- I bought a hard drive enclosure from newegg to use my extra 60 GB drive for back-ups. However now that I plug in the drive, it does not show up under hard drives on my Windows based desktop. It does show up under my device manager but I can't do anything to it or open it up. I wanted to reformat it but I can't even do that. I plugged it in to the PS3 and it doesn't show up as anything under the menus. Basically the drive is worthless right now. Any thoughts?

[quote name='Purkeynator']You won't be able to back up everything. Unfortunately you can plug in a large hard drive and only be able to back up 32GB of data due to the FAT32 format limitation. I had to go in and delete a bunch of stuff to upgrade to this Hitachi 320 GB drive. I mostly deleted my game installs to make room. Another problem I have run into- I bought a hard drive enclosure from newegg to use my extra 60 GB drive for back-ups. However now that I plug in the drive, it does not show up under hard drives on my Windows based desktop. It does show up under my device manager but I can't do anything to it or open it up. I wanted to reformat it but I can't even do that. I plugged it in to the PS3 and it doesn't show up as anything under the menus. Basically the drive is worthless right now. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Windows won't format large drives using the FAT32 file system; you need 3rd party software like Partition Magic to perform such a format.

Windows doesn't recognize the file system on a PS3 drive and the drive has to be reformatted for Windows to use it but obviously, reformatting will wipe the PS3 drive and its contents. Not sure what the PS3 file system is but it's not FAT32 or NTFS or anything Windows or Mac compatible.

Ok , but no one answered by question though

Are there any good deals going on with an External USB HDD?

[quote name='Purkeynator']You won't be able to back up everything. Unfortunately you can plug in a large hard drive and only be able to back up 32GB of data due to the FAT32 format limitation. I had to go in and delete a bunch of stuff to upgrade to this Hitachi 320 GB drive. I mostly deleted my game installs to make room. Another problem I have run into- I bought a hard drive enclosure from newegg to use my extra 60 GB drive for back-ups. However now that I plug in the drive, it does not show up under hard drives on my Windows based desktop. It does show up under my device manager but I can't do anything to it or open it up. I wanted to reformat it but I can't even do that. I plugged it in to the PS3 and it doesn't show up as anything under the menus. Basically the drive is worthless right now. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Fdisk is your friend. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867

Well just got a 500GB External USB Harddrive ((Seagate)) for $100.

Going to use it to transfer some files from the 60GB HDD to the new 320GB.

bread's done
Back