Hollywood Video to stop renting Cube & XBOX games all games 9.99 or less to buy! YMMV

briansraregames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Just got word today that all Hollywood Video stores will cease to rent XBOX and Gamecube titles. My source is a Hollywood Video store manager and he said that all gamecube and XBOX titles are available to purchase out of rental. All gamecube and xbox games will be $9.99 or less. He did also say that this may be on a district by district basis, but should be going national soon, so YMMV. I already bought a bunch of $9.99 cube titles at a few local stores (NW Indiana) stuff like Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Mario Party 5-7, Pikmin 2, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis, etc and I did get them all for $9.99 each. So if your local Hollywood video has any good cube or xbox stuff in rental, you might want to check it out. Happy hunting!

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-001S-2.jpg

Oh yeah, one more thing: Since this info came from a managers memo, general CSR's probably won't have any idea what you're talking about when you call and ask about this clearance. Also, there probably won't be any kind of display either. Be sure to speak directly to a store manager or assistant manager and ask them about buying a game out of rental.

This is a perfect time to rebuild my Cube collection and pick up stuff I missed out on. Thanks Brian!

Hopefully they give you the old case and manual. Which should be pristine, considering that part just stays on the shelf.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Hopefully they give you the old case and manual. Which should be pristine, considering that part just stays on the shelf.[/quote]

Every game that I got had the original case, a few were missing manuals though. And honestly, as far as condition goes, the games that I got were pretty good, and I can always resurface them if the need arises.

Hollywood usually has resurfacing machines on site and if you're lucky and have a Gamecrazy attached you can take it over there. Also thanks for the heads up OP.:D

I know the one HWV by me has a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II for XBox in stock, though I'm trying to remember what game I stashed the case/manual behind. LOL

I bought a copy from them at one point, but they wouldn't junk out the manual/case since they had ONE more in stock, so I returned it.

I'm trying to think if they have any other 'better' games, since I think they also had copies of Rez and other one time 'hard to find' games.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Yea! $10 for scratched up, stickered up, sticky games that are missing the cases and instruction books. Sign me up, dawg![/quote]

Shut up.

No luck at the Hollywood Video in my town. There was still a place for X-Box rentals, but nothing for Game Cube. There used games were nothing more than the usual $25.00+ crappy movie PS2 games. The only Game Cube game I could even find was some Yu-Gi-Oh! Game... it was $9.99, but the used X-Box games were still labeled the crazy prices.

Guess this means I'll have to use my remaining free rental coupons on new DVD releases now. Since there isn't crap worth in the PS2 section of my store, if this is true.

As for the people wondering if the games have instructions & the case. Easy way to check is to see if the real case is sitting underneath the rental box. Because much like their DVDs, they usually have something empty there to show where it sits on the shelf. If there isn't a case underneath, then you would have to settle on the rental box & no instructions.

[quote name='equest943']You don't need resurfacing, they're Gamecube games![/quote]
WTF is that supposed to mean? Guess you haven't encountered a scratched-up GC game that will give you the "dirty or scratched disc" message yet. Trust me, even a minor scratch can give you that message.

When you guys try this, be sure to ask about "Buying the game out of rental." Don't expect there to be a huge display with $9.99 games on it. If you find a game you want, take it up to the rental counter and ask about buying it out of rental.

So far no go at Hollywood Video in Auburn, MA. But they have a ton of stock, I bet this will happen soon.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']if mine has cubivore, I'm jumping in. [/quote]

Same here. I've been wanting this one for awhile although I'm not too sure a video rental place would have it at this point. Will check it out at lunch. Thanks OP!

They used to sell of their games to Game Crazy. Won't they end up just sending the games to Game Crazy if there is one in the store?

Hey Indiana, thats exactly what I said like 5 lines up. Its the only thing that makes sense. My gamecrazy receives all of our games from Hollywood all the time. They never sell them out of rental.

[quote name='Indiana']They used to sell of their games to Game Crazy. Won't they end up just sending the games to Game Crazy if there is one in the store?[/quote]

See, that's what I thought too, but the stores around here all have gamecrazy and they were still selling them.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Hey OP, what district are you in?[/quote]

The three stores I checked were all in South Bend, IN...I'll be checking a few more around here later on today and let you guys know if I find out anything else.

No go in Indianapolis. I checked out the store between 10th and 11th street just west of MLK, and the guy couldn't find any e-mail or memo telling him about this, but said to keep checking back.

I have one closing my area that has an attached Gamecrazy (hour away though) so I imagine that one will definitely have this. Unfortunately the two others near me have a Gamecrazy attached and a mini Gamecrazy (display case with new games and the GC logos and artwork) so I doubt they'll be doing this.

Its a no go in the Tulsa, OK area too. And there is an Xbox MVC2 there and all I can do is stare at it. (...and a tear falls...)

I checked in Winston-Salem, NC and no go, but the one I looked at (Country Club Rd.) is closing down in two weeks so maybe I'll score something better!

Well, I checked 3 more stores in my area (All three w/Gamecrazy) and they weren't running the deal either. I even spoke to a couple of store managers and they both said that such a deal would never happen at locations w/Gamecrazy. So, it looks like got extremely lucky at those stores. I'm starting to think that it is indeed only good at stores without gamecrazys...but all of the stand alone Hollywoods in my area have closed so I can't look into it. So in the end, I really don't know what's going on. It can't be just these three stores, can it?

No luck on 4 (14.99 or less)for 30 but they did have 3(9.99 or less)for $15 promotion going on.Picked up KOTOR,StarWars Battle Front,Star wars Republic Commando,&MGS3 for 32.00.KOTOR was 14.99,the rest were $5.This was in Los Angeles Wilshire/Western.

They did have signs for the 4 (14.99 or less)for 30 but the guy on the front desk told me the promo ended last month.I was gonna pick up WindWaker and Tales Phantasia but I would have paid 14.99 for each game.

I will be checking my Hollywood tomorrow afternoon! If I remember correctly they had A TON of games for sale when I was there in December, hopefully they are doing the sale...I need to build up on the game cube games I missed out on.

I just found out about this now and I just came back from the store. I want a copy of Pikmin 2 that I found at my HV. I asked but they said they wouldn't sell but should I call and tell them about this deal? Would the instruction book be inside the display case or rental case?

bread's done
Back