Hollywood Video Used Blu-Rays Online @ 6.99 + 25% code per item

NeuronalState

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
[quote name='robodaddyo']For those looking for blu-ray cases, they have some great quality cases over at Meritline. I ordered 10 pack of single disc slim and 10 pack of double disc slim and total came out to $11.XX shipped. I received them within two business days.[/QUOTE]

meritline offers cashback from bing.com too

[quote name='robodaddyo']For those looking for blu-ray cases, they have some great quality cases over at Meritline. I ordered 10 pack of single disc slim and 10 pack of double disc slim and total came out to $11.XX shipped. I received them within two business days.[/QUOTE]

are those official ones? the ones that are exactly like the movie cases?

By official... it really depends on what you mean. Different studios use different brands. The two most common brands are Vortex and Amaray - I prefer Vortex myself, but the differences are slight at best. If you want "official" look for Vortex or Amaray. I'm not sure what meritline carries, I always get mine from the same guy off ebay for about $10 shipped / 10 pk since I know he's reliable and they are true Vortex cases.

Here are the 12mm double-disc blu-ray cases that I ordered from Meritline. http://www.meritline.com/12mm-clear-blue-double-blu-ray-case---p-38771.aspx
They aren't the "official" ones but they are great and don't have that annoying fold away latch that I've received broken so many times when ordering blu-ray movies online. The teeth will be broken off so the flap won't completely close shut.
It looks like they are out of stock of the 12mm single disc cases as I only saw the 6 mm listed but I will be ordering my cases from them from now on unless the Vortex brand drop in price.
One thing to note is the double disc case are rounded on the top/bottom of the spine but the single disc version are squared, like a book. Doesn't bother me though as these cases are well constructed. I don't play frisbee with them.

[quote name='Izod517']By official... it really depends on what you mean. Different studios use different brands. The two most common brands are Vortex and Amaray - I prefer Vortex myself, but the differences are slight at best. If you want "official" look for Vortex or Amaray. I'm not sure what meritline carries, I always get mine from the same guy off ebay for about $10 shipped / 10 pk since I know he's reliable and they are true Vortex cases.[/QUOTE]

Viva Elites are also some that the studios use. I didn't know amaray made blu cases, I thought they just made the dvd clamshells.

[quote name='trunks982']I added this to the cart which is pack of 10 single disc:
http://www.meritline.com/6mm-clear-blue-double-case---p-38873.aspx

The cheapest shipping was $8.46. Too much. I think i should just get it from ebay.[/QUOTE]Wow. That's some crazy price for shipping those. You wouldn't want those anyways. They're 6mm and will be too thin for the cover page. I know that if Meritline uses USPS, they add Delivery Confirmation so that's included in the shipping price. I've no idea if they're making a profit on the shipping though. $8.46 still seems kind of high.

I got my second order finally today. 3:10 to Yuma, Coraline, Gamer, and Wall-E all in excellent condition; but came in the DVD cases like everything else. I'm considering buying a pack of cases, but that would really negate the point of buying these to begin with, since +$15 really negates all the savings and the point of even ordering anything from here.

[quote name='dmdragon']Viva Elites are also some that the studios use. I didn't know amaray made blu cases, I thought they just made the dvd clamshells.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I thought I was missing someone.

I'll post it again I went here

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=66003&catid=844&clickid=searchresults

Got 10 Single and 2 double vortex cases for just over 11 bucks shipped.

The singles are .45 cents and the doubles are .49 cents. The shipping is 5 bucks, but it still beats most sites unless you are buying like 50+

Code:
2935 	Double Vortex™ Blu-ray DVD Cases  Comments: 	2 	    $0.49 	    $0.49 	    $0.98
2812 	Single Vortex™ Blu-ray DVD Cases   Comments: 	10 	    $0.45 	    $0.45 	    $4.50
 	*Unit prices may differ due to rounding; discounts are applied at the line item level. 	 	 		

Sub Total: 	$5.48
Shipping & Handling:
via Standard Ground (UPS, USPS) 	$4.99
Tax: 	$0.68
Grand Total: 	$11.15

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Finally got a response to the email I sent asking where my refund is for the movies they charged me for, and then decided to email and let me know that the items had been cancelled. Here's what they said:
I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties which are delaying your refund transaction. We are currently working on this issue to correct the problem. We will contact you as soon as we receive an update that the problem is fixed. Again, we would like to apologize for the inconvenient delay while your refund is being processed. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your time and understanding while we correct these errors. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Jordan
Hollywood Video Web Sales
So, they don't have any problems taking money...just giving money back? I haven't had problems with Hollywood before, but this just seems like a really shady response. I might give them 4-5 days, then I'll start the chargeback process.[/QUOTE]

An update on this situation: After two weeks, they still haven't refunded me the amount they overcharged, and my damn credit card bill is coming due, so I'm about to be charged interest on a portion of a bill I never should have been charged for. So, I disputed the charge and sent them the response that Hollywood gave me. I got some damn good deals when this sale first started, but that's fucking dirty to overcharge you and then take so long with the refund that you end up having to pay interest. It's only $7, but I hope Hollywood gets hit with a chargeback on this one. They deserve it.

I'm new to this forum and have it from a reliable source (Home Media Magazine) that Movie Gallery, the owner of Hollywood Video, will begin shutting down operations in the next two weeks. The following is from the Home Media Magazine website:

Movie Gallery Shutting Down All Stores

Posted: 01 May 2010

Bankrupt Movie Gallery, owner of Hollywood Video, will begin shutting down operations in about two weeks, followed by a nationwide liquidation sale, sources familiar with the chain said.
Store personnel at a Hollywood Video in Chino, Calif., confirmed the pending closure, saying the store had been notified April 30 that business would remain as usual for the next two weeks, followed by a two-day closing and then liquidation.
A manager at a Hollywood Video in Riverside, Calif., said liquidation would last anywhere from six to 10 weeks.
“I have mixed feelings about this,” he said. “What can you do?”
Gallery and Hollywood Video locations in Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina and Oregon also confirmed the pending shut down, according to a report by The Birmingham News.
It wasn't immediately clear if the closure affects Gallery operations in Canada, which are not part of the bankruptcy filing.
Wilsonville, Ore.-based Gallery, in a recording, declined comment.
It filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Feb. 3 for the second time, citing liabilities in excess of $540 million and domestic store base of 2,600 locations.
The chain lagged significantly behind competitors Blockbuster, Netflix and Redbox with no download, mobile, by-mail or kiosk operations in place.
Facing shutdowns of nearly half its stores after the bankruptcy filing, in addition to mountains of debt, Gallery had scant financial resources to transform itself in the rapidly changing home entertainment industry.
Gallery posted a combined operating loss of $7.9 million for the period from Feb. 3 through March 7, according to a filing with U.S. bankruptcy court in Richmond, Va.

Now that the 25pv code doesn't work I'm not sure I'll be shopping there anymore. I still have an order processing since April 2nd!

[quote name='mediamjb']I'm new to this forum and have it from a reliable source (Home Media Magazine) that Movie Gallery, the owner of Hollywood Video, will begin shutting down operations in the next two weeks. The following is from the Home Media Magazine website:[/QUOTE]

I think in about 10 years, kids are going to find it ridiculously strange that there used to be stores strictly devoted to renting movies. Long live Netflix and Redbox.

I still have some orders "processing" since 3/29. I sent them off some emails and am waiting for an update. I had even made the orders small (1 to 3 items) so that they wouldn't be delayed for too long. This is rediculous.

[quote name='robodaddyo']I still have some orders "processing" since 3/29. I sent them off some emails and am waiting for an update. I had even made the orders small (1 to 3 items) so that they wouldn't be delayed for too long. This is rediculous.[/QUOTE]

Do a chargeback. I was in the same position as you and after they told me they forwarded my problem to their Merchant Provider, I never heard back from them.

Unless their prices bottom out, since they're going under officially, I'm staying away from ordering anything.

Doesn't surprise me to see Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery to go under. They really didn't seem to have any plans to turn the company around and simply decided to stay the course straight into the black hole of death.

Just heard back from CitiBank on my disputed charge. Unfortunately, they're practically as fucking retarded as Hollywood Video. I prefaced my dispute by saying that there were 3 items from my order that had been cancelled, and that Hollywood Video did refund me for 2 of the items...and that the only amount being disputed was for the 3rd item.

Their response to me was "We have investigated your dispute and found that you received a refund for $7.44 from Hollywood Video on 4/8/2010" NO fuckING SHIT!!! That's why I said I had been refunded for two of the items. Can anybody explain to me how someone gets a position with that much authority without having simple reading comprehension skills? I guess it's time to call and tear someone a new asshole.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just heard back from CitiBank on my disputed charge. Unfortunately, they're practically as fucking retarded as Hollywood Video. I prefaced my dispute by saying that there were 3 items from my order that had been cancelled, and that Hollywood Video did refund me for 2 of the items...and that the only amount being disputed was for the 3rd item.

Their response to me was "We have investigated your dispute and found that you received a refund for $7.44 from Hollywood Video on 4/8/2010" NO fuckING SHIT!!! That's why I said I had been refunded for two of the items. Can anybody explain to me how someone gets a position with that much authority without having simple reading comprehension skills? I guess it's time to call and tear someone a new asshole.[/QUOTE]

Citi is a horrible company. We've had problems with both the bank part and mortgage part. Calling rarely helps as usually you get nothing but lies. Those are just my experiences and hopefully you will have better luck.

[quote name='Headfamilyga']Citi is a horrible company. We've had problems with both the bank part and mortgage part. Calling rarely helps as usually you get nothing but lies. Those are just my experiences and hopefully you will have better luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks. I mean, it's only $7, but I just have this expectation of people doing their job properly. I guess I'm crazy that way, lol. I guess if they completely fail to comprehend what I'm telling them, I'll just ask them to close my account. They should understand that. Really, the only reason I've kept it is for their "virtual credit card" feature, but now Paypal has the same thing.

I got two responses from Hollywood Video about my "processing" orders. One, they said that because of the backlog there is a delay but that my orders are still processing. lol
Two, they claimed to email me that one of the blu-rays I ordered was "not in stock" and that I must not have gotten that email so they apologized and said that everything else is processing. I already looked at the two other movies that were on that order and found them cheaper, used at goHastings online so I emailed HV and told them to cancel that order.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering used blu-ray and previously viewed blu-ray movies from goHastings? Good feedback? Do you get the case with coverslip? DVD case instead of blu-ray case?

Just got a shipped order for my real.com order from 4/3. I am getting wall-e, hulk, up and step brothers. I honestly didn't think I was ever going to get these movies but I guess maybe hollywood is finally get everything sorted out.

So, not only have they raised prices, started shipping in DVD cases, and killed the 25% off coupon...but now it takes them one month+ to fill orders as well? lol, wow. I don't think I've ever seen a "deal" go from so good to so bad.

Received my 4/3 order today without any notification of it shipping. I was pleasantly surprised when it came in the mail!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']So, not only have they raised prices, started shipping in DVD cases, and killed the 25% off coupon...but now it takes them one month+ to fill orders as well? lol, wow. I don't think I've ever seen a "deal" go from so good to so bad.[/QUOTE]

The coupon is still working.

[quote name='tylerdurden689']The coupon is still working.[/QUOTE]I just verified this, as well, although I will not be ordering anything more from them as I'm still waiting on a few orders from 4/3 and one from 3/29. What's interesting is that I canceled the last order and that magically showed up two days after my request. Maybe we should all just cancel our processing orders and that will get them to ship? ;)

I ordered Resident Evil Extinction about a month ago and just received it this week. The strange thing is, it went out of stock shortly after I ordered and I never received any emails about the order. I also haven't been charged for it. Since they apparently sent it for free, I guess I can't complain about the long turnaround and lack of communication.

They are really slow at charging your credit/debit account however. In the past I've seen it take up to several weeks before the charges appeared on my debit account online... and mind you this is several week AFTER I finally got said merch from them.

Just placed an order with them for a few DVDs. By the sounds of everyone else, I shouldn't expect them until July at some point

Ive ordered from Hollywood video 3 times.Everytime a nightmare. One canceled order, because one of the eight i ordered movies i ordered was not available. One took over a month to deliver. And finally they sent my order to Colorado, I live in Maryland. Worst of all there is no way to talk to customer service. Phone support is for retail stores only. For any internet orders customer service can only be contacted through email and the response time is 3-5 days.

Good luck to any one that orders. I have had nothing but problems.

Their prices on new stuff even with 25% off is still a freaking ripoff... with a few exceptions. I found the recently released Yes: The Lost Broadcasts for $14.99 pre-25% off. Its MSRP is $20ish so that's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a funny email when I was inquiring about my refund(s) that are owed to me:

"I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties which are delaying your refund transaction. We are currently working on this issue to correct the problem. We will contact you as soon as we receive an update that the problem is fixed. Again, we would like to apologize for the inconvenient delay while your refund is being processed. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your time and understanding while we correct these errors. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Hollywood Video Web Sales"

No surprise this company is going out of business.

[quote name='tylerdurden689']Just got a funny email when I was inquiring about my refund(s) that are owed to me:

"I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties which are delaying your refund transaction. We are currently working on this issue to correct the problem. We will contact you as soon as we receive an update that the problem is fixed. Again, we would like to apologize for the inconvenient delay while your refund is being processed. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your time and understanding while we correct these errors. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Hollywood Video Web Sales"

No surprise this company is going out of business.[/QUOTE]

That's the same response I got when I asked like 3 weeks ago...and I still haven't gotten my refund. Chargeback is your only hope (though Citibank fucked that up for me as well).

[quote name='Demolition Man']Website is advertising a "one day blowout sale" with their Blu-Ray prices back to the $6.99 price they used to sell at. Fail.[/QUOTE]
Hurt Locker, District 9, 2012, and New Moon?! Most probable!

[quote name='Demolition Man']Website is advertising a "one day blowout sale" with their Blu-Ray prices back to the $6.99 price they used to sell at. Fail.[/QUOTE]

Not a Fail at all if it includes new blu's as well :cool:

I doubt at this point they are going to get new stock in from their stores just to sell the stuff off for less than what they would get by selling them in store. Not to mention the "fail" in my opinion comes more from the prices being $6.99 then jacked to $8.99 then reduced one day to $6.99 as a "blowout sale." That's hardly a "blowout" when not that long ago they were selling for that same price. Of course I can be wrong but with how the website looks at 11:50 PM CST... all I'm seeing is the same stock being lowered to $6.99.

Edit:

:rofl:

Now suddenly a good chunk of their clearance and used titles have jumped to $99.99. Major epic fail!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I Was waiting for the website to update for at least one hour and there is no new blu-rays that they have posted. Not a deal but a failure. BUT i still ordered about 5 blu-rays for the hell of it but now I have to wait and see when they're shipping it. Probably will be in about 2 - 3 months.

bread's done
Back