Holy crap it worked: Zellers 2/$30 (inc. Far Cry 2)

Ashground

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Tip of the hat to zoro69 for this one. Didn't see a thread for it, and it's big enough to merit its own thread so people don't miss it.

Zellers is currently having a 2/$30 sale, ending on the 30th. Normally this isn't news, since they stick to clearance titles for sales like this, but there are some big names in it this time, including Far Cry 2. I had a hard time believing this, even after seeing photos of a receipt, but I just got back from my lunch break where I picked up Far Cry 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for PS3. They were both locked up and labeled as $59.99. When they rang them up, the total came to $30. This only happened after both games had been scanned and totaled.

Sale flyer is here: http://zellers.flyerservices.com/ca...468-4273-afbf-c3cd9607f1f6_101_Z853P06_ON.jpg (bottom right; doesn't have any info on titles, though, so odds are the flyer itself will be of little use)

Thanks OP, I picked a pair for Farcry 2 at the zellers in Metrotown. One for me and one for my friend. Total came to $33.60. The only thing I didn't like was that the male cashier used a black marker to "cross off" the bar code. He said this is to prevent people from returning the game without a receipt for full price.

I managed to pick up a decent haul; all DS games that I really wanted.

[quote name='awworld']The only thing I didn't like was that the male cashier used a black marker to "cross off" the bar code. He said this is to prevent people from returning the game without a receipt for full price.[/quote]
I really don't see anything wrong with that since you'll likely be tearing off the cellophane anyway; unless of course you were actually going to try to fraud a store with it, and if that's the case, sham on you.

So, anyone have an extra copy of Far Cry 2 for the 360 that they'd like to sell for $15+shipping+finder's fee?

The games I got were nothing special: EBA, FFTA2, Magical Starsign and CrossworDS.

They're more or less I've played a bunch now with copies I can call my own (or in FFTA2's case, for the second time).

Just tried at the southside Zellers in Edmonton [by Toys R Us] and was not able to get the 2/30 deal on Far Cry 2.

They had 2 copies of Uncharted @ $59.99 and I think 6 of Far Cry 2 @ $39.99. Asked the cashier to ring them up and try, but neither game worked.

Was worth a shot anyway.

Good on the person that got it @ Kingsway. :)
Too far for me lol.

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']Just tried at the southside Zellers in Edmonton [by Toys R Us] and was not able to get the 2/30 deal on Far Cry 2.

They had 2 copies of Uncharted @ $59.99 and I think 6 of Far Cry 2 @ $39.99. Asked the cashier to ring them up and try, but neither game worked.

Was worth a shot anyway.

Good on the person that got it @ Kingsway. :)
Too far for me lol.[/quote]
Uncharted is not a part of this deal, so if you had them scan one of each it would not work, if you had had the cashier ring in two copies of Farcry 2 then it would have worked, the promo requires two qualifying games in order to work.

[quote name='Azumangaman']All I did was ask for Far Cry 2 (360) out of the cage. Then I asked for Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS) then he rang them up, and it was automatically 2/30.[/quote]

i should've gone on my lunch hour as soon as i read this.
i figured if it worked this morning for him itill work at 5pm for me.

NOPE! i did give the kid working a nice laugh though. i bet my face was priceless when he rang them up.

3 Hamilton Area Zellers = no FarCry2 2/30
if someone gets the deal after me, PM me!
ill run meet you there and save me some sweet games please!

So I just used this deal today. Picked up Eternal Sonata and Halo 3. Halo 3 is the Limited Edition with the metal case and bonus disc, and the disc is a little scratched up.
I googled it and apparently it's a common issue. (seriously, WTF packaging people) http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/f...ge/70958/?biz=1

What do I do now? Apparently, the free disc replacement program ended in 2007, and to get a replacement now would be $24. Has this happened to any of you guys before, and did Microsoft do a free replacement? (after 2007 of course) I haven't got a DRE yet, but I'm kind of dreading it. It also doesn't help that installing the disc to the drive apparently introduces a bunch of issues to Halo 3.

Far Cry 2 was available as well, but I have it on PC and I don't really like it at all.

[quote name='constellation']So I just used this deal today. Picked up Eternal Sonata and Halo 3. Halo 3 is the Limited Edition with the metal case and bonus disc, and the disc is a little scratched up.
I googled it and apparently it's a common issue. (seriously, WTF packaging people) http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/f...ge/70958/?biz=1

What do I do now? Apparently, the free disc replacement program ended in 2007, and to get a replacement now would be $24. Has this happened to any of you guys before, and did Microsoft do a free replacement? (after 2007 of course) I haven't got a DRE yet, but I'm kind of dreading it. It also doesn't help that installing the disc to the drive apparently introduces a bunch of issues to Halo 3.

Far Cry 2 was available as well, but I have it on PC and I don't really like it at all.[/quote]
Apparently BBV/RV has disc repair services, in the ball park of $4. Might be your best bet!

[quote name='No One']Do all DS games qualify? How about Chrono Trigger?[/quote]
Not all DS games qualify. At least for my store, only the games 'out of the cage' worked, so hope they start pulling shit out from behind the glass.

Yes take two of the games widely reported as working (a few mentioned on rfd being in a bin but a requiring an overide excluded) and buy them together. It will *look* like it doesn't work as they scan in...but that will change.

If you take one it wont work

If you take one that does count, with something no one has mentioned getting (why???) that doesn't work together...it wont work.

If you take 2 that don't count...it wont work

Its not a difficult concept.

Like I mentioned before in my post, I can try to pick up an extra 2 copies or so at my local Zeller's here as long as the deal is still on. I think as long as it's not the same cashier then it should be fine honestly. When I was there this afternoon there was probably about 4 copies for the 360 and about the same for the PS3 on a glance for Far Cry 2. So shoot me a PM and I can try to pick up 2 more copies if need be tomorrow and possibly the day after and I can fire them off in the mail. $15+shipping+finder's fee. I don't mind doing this if it will help out some fellow CAG'ers get ahold of the game.

[quote name='zoro69']Yes take two of the games widely reported as working (a few mentioned on rfd being in a bin but a requiring an overide excluded) and buy them together. It will *look* like it doesn't work as they scan in...but that will change.

If you take one it wont work

If you take one that does count, with something no one has mentioned getting (why???) that doesn't work together...it wont work.

If you take 2 that don't count...it wont work

Its not a difficult concept.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='awworld']Thanks OP, I picked a pair for Farcry 2 at the zellers in Metrotown. One for me and one for my friend. Total came to $33.60. The only thing I didn't like was that the male cashier used a black marker to "cross off" the bar code. He said this is to prevent people from returning the game without a receipt for full price.[/quote]Was it that filipino guy? I friggin hate that guy >_> I remember him giving me sooo many issues when I tried to price match Mario Kart DS two years ago.

I'm guessing the black marker is just on the plastic wrap?

[quote name='Firestorm']Was it that filipino guy? I friggin hate that guy >_> I remember him giving me sooo many issues when I tried to price match Mario Kart DS two years ago.

I'm guessing the black marker is just on the plastic wrap?[/quote]

Hey Firestorm, Yes to both your questions. But Windex works in removing it.

[quote name='Firestorm']Was it that filipino guy? I friggin hate that guy >_> I remember him giving me sooo many issues when I tried to price match Mario Kart DS two years ago.

I'm guessing the black marker is just on the plastic wrap?[/quote]

TRUE PEOPLE LIKE THAT need to pleasure themself more or something so uptight for no good reason!!!

[quote name='danthemightyone']anyone in ottawa area got FC2?[/quote]

yeah i got the last two (they might have more but that was the last two on display) for the ps3 from the zellers on merivale in nepean. traded both for killzone 2 at EB since they dont have a trade in 3 for killzone 2 for some reason.

I just picked up 2 opies of Far Cry 2 for the 2/30 deal. Pretty sweat. My store had like over 8 copies, I guess that's one of the advantages of living in a small town. Still don't have a rogers though :cry:.

Can I return a copy without a receipt to like Future Shop for a gift card?;)

My Zellers had a list of games... about 3 pages long. FC2 wasn't listed, so they wouldn't give it to me for the sale.

I got SSX Blur on Wii, and F1 on Ps3 instead anyways..

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']I just picked up 2 opies of Far Cry 2 for the 2/30 deal. Pretty sweat. My store had like over 8 copies, I guess that's one of the advantages of living in a small town. Still don't have a rogers though :cry:.

Can I return a copy without a receipt to like Future Shop for a gift card?;)[/QUOTE]

No, it's fraud.

i just got 2 copies of far cry 2 is there anything else that works that are big titles like fable 2, gears 2, littlebigplanet, Resist 2 etc????

the roads are brutal today so i'm gonna head out tomorrow to see if i can grab 2 copies of fc2. i wanna trade them in for a preorder at eb. i may also trade in rock band:acdc at bbv and pick up battlefield: bad company while i'm at it.

I just traded in my extra 360 copy of FC2 to EB for $20. I didn't care, I still made a bit of a profit.

Anyways, the Zellers in the Woodbine Center in Toronto still has plenty of them when I went there yesterday.

Just came back from Zellers:

2 x Far Cry 2 360 = $30
1 x Far Cry 2 360 + 1 x Brothers in Arms HH 360 = $90
1 x Far Cry 2 360 + 1 x Brothers in Arms HH PS3 = $30

oh, forgot to report what happend at my Zellers, i asked for Far cry 2, and he right off the bat said sold out, and i asked what makes you say that? and he said that everybody bought it for 15 bux each, crazy deal eh? but dont get far cry 2... it really sucks ass....

so i got into an argument with him about how awesome it looks.

yea...... AWESOME!

aw well, ill get to play far cry 2 when it becomes 9.99 few months later...

My local Zellers was sold out of Far cry 2 and Vegas 2. Might check another store tomorrow.

Did manage to get
Mx vs ATV Utamed and Brothers in Arms Hell Highway on the PS3 though

definitely worked. just walked into zellers and asked for 2 copies of far cry 2. The lady scanned them out and came up to 33.90 with tax. She didn't even bat an eye. One for me and one for my bud. No hoarding here. :D

Worked for me fine at Square One Zellers. I got 2 copies of Far Cry 2.

There was about 6 left at 8pm tonight. It's marked at $40 but just ask the cashier to scan it in. Good luck!

[quote name='Bencherstyle']....God damn it! :'([/quote]

did u try it out and was shot down or were there none in stock where u live?

[quote name='stetson717']did u try it out and was shot down or were there none in stock where u live?[/quote]

out of stock. and there isnt any other zellers to try out :(

well, i guess i have to patient. nice Job to people who actually got the game,
i bet it's really great... im ganna play KZ2 instead FarCry 2 :p

and its a Ubisoft game... its bound to go down really really fast.

sorry dude. sold out at the store i went to after i picked up the last two. hopefully someone here will be kind enough to pick up a copy for you and sell it at cost plus a little extra for shipping.

[quote name='stetson717']sorry dude. sold out at the store i went to after i picked up the last two. hopefully someone here will be kind enough to pick up a copy for you and sell it at cost plus a little extra for shipping.[/quote]

its quite alright, i did have a nice argument about how far cry 2 sucks, ( i thought it was great) with the guy who worked there!

Went to my local Zellers, the woman there was barely helpful, I asked for Far Cry 2 and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, both for 360, and mentioned how my "buddy" got them in the 2 for $30 sale. She became pretty bitchy and said "no no that's only for the $19.99 games over there" (points to crap games) and I said "Wells I dunno what to tell ya, it worked for my buddy in Toronto, it should work here, can you just scan them?" So she scans them, of course they come up at regular price...I say "Can you do it as an actual sale?" She agrees. Unfortunately, still came up at regular price. I ask her one last time "Can you scan in Far Cry 2 twice?" Obviously disgruntled, she complies, and voila. Then, she tries to deny the sale, saying it's an error and shouldn't be honoured. In the end, she honoured the price, but made me feel bad, saying she was going to get in trouble...yeah, she's going to get in trouble for the computer scanning in the games incorrectly. So I managed to snag an extra copy of Far Cry 2 for the 360, Bencher I know you wanted in on this deal, does FC2 for the 360 work for you or would you prefer PS3? (P.S. sorry for the long ass post)

[quote name='game_fanatic']Went to my local Zellers, the woman there was barely helpful, I asked for Far Cry 2 and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, both for 360, and mentioned how my "buddy" got them in the 2 for $30 sale. She became pretty bitchy and said "no no that's only for the $19.99 games over there" (points to crap games) and I said "Wells I dunno what to tell ya, it worked for my buddy in Toronto, it should work here, can you just scan them?" So she scans them, of course they come up at regular price...I say "Can you do it as an actual sale?" She agrees. Unfortunately, still came up at regular price. I ask her one last time "Can you scan in Far Cry 2 twice?" Obviously disgruntled, she complies, and voila. Then, she tries to deny the sale, saying it's an error and shouldn't be honoured. In the end, she honoured the price, but made me feel bad, saying she was going to get in trouble...yeah, she's going to get in trouble for the computer scanning in the games incorrectly. So I managed to snag an extra copy of Far Cry 2 for the 360, Bencher I know you wanted in on this deal, does FC2 for the 360 work for you or would you prefer PS3? (P.S. sorry for the long ass post)[/quote]

i REally Appreciate the Care, but i can't to any Online Transactions :(
unless you live around Richmond hill, ( dont think so, you live in Waterloo?))
so you should trade it in at EB for 20 bux. ill get Far Cry 2 soon enough... i guess... thank you tho.

bread's done
Back