Holy Hell! Everyone must go see Old Boy.

Tromack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I just watched this movie and damn. This is easily the best movie I have seen all year, and probably the best movie I have seen for a couple of years. It is hideously fucked up, but at every turn you think you have just seen the most fucked up part only to have it mess with your head more. I know it is in very limited release in the U.S. but go see it. If you can't go see it download it and send your $5 to them later. Everyone must see this.

I wouldn't say its the best movie I've seen, but its definitely the most shaq'd up (then again most Asian movies these days are as well). The last 20 minutes or so just seemed to drag on painfully slow. Otherwise its an overall unforgettable movie...

*possible uhh... spoiler*

especially that one scene where the girl is on the toilet and Daesu tries to cop a feel. That has to be one of the most awkward 'sex' scenes ever. My friends were cracking up over how ridiculous it was.

I saw it almost a year ago (import dvd). I thought it was great but I only watched it the one time. I very much could have missed even more greatness, lost in all the fuckupedness. :lol:

Korean cinema has vastly improved.
Oldboy was a hell of a movie. It was a shame that i read the spoilers before i saw it.
One thing im not sure about was that new zealand wind thing. Where do i hear it?

That's not a movie you want to be spoiled on beforehand.

While I really respect the movie's direction and general audience manipulation techniques... I couldn't really recommend it to anyone who wasn't into very extreme films. Extreme is in violence and general degradation of everyone and everything in the movie. This is coming from someone who loved Battle Royale. It's not even the gore in the film (which is already pretty bad), it's the way the story is told that's affecting. Which is in fact a mark of a good director, here.

Definitely not a movie I enjoyed all the way through, exactly. Certainly a reserved recommendation.

question that will determine whether or not i take tromack's advice:

is this movie more shaqfued up than 'requiem for a dream', or less?

[quote name='2poor']seems like everyone that saw it likes it. what's it about exactly?[/QUOTE]

One night, the main character (I forget his name) and his buddy are leaving the police station after receiving citations for drunk & disorderly. Someone kidnaps the main character and holds him capfive for 20 something years inside a room with only a tv and a bed. The doors are reinforced so there's no way for him to punch or shoulder his way through. Whenever they need to feed or bathe him, the room is gassed to make him pass out to prevent escape. One day, they gas the room and he, expecting to wake up in the same room for the past 20 something years, finds himself on the roof of some building. He then decides to find out who did this and why and then kill him in vengence. The rest would be revealing the story. If anything, Kill Bill comes close to storyline (and even then it's still far off) but the twists and gore are about 30 times more brutal than anything from Kill Bill. Come to think about it, the story's kinda like if you mixed the movie 'Cube', Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, and the HK gore flick 'The Audition'. If you like this movie, check out Three Extremes as well. It's another mindfuck korean movie.

[quote name='jaykrue']One night, the main character (I forget his name)[/QUOTE]

Daesu.

[quote name='jaykrue']If you like this movie, check out Three Extremes as well. It's another mindfuck korean movie.[/QUOTE]

Oddly Cut is the only piece of Three Extremes that I haven't yet watched. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Daesu.

Oddly Cut is the only piece of Three Extremes that I haven't yet watched. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You gotta finish it. I think it's my fave.:bouncy:

[quote name='jaykrue']You gotta finish it. I think it's my fave.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I'll do that. And speaking of Three Extremes ... I have never, and now will never, eat dumplings. :lol: :puke: :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'll do that. And speaking of Three Extremes ... I have never, and now will never, eat dumplings. :lol: :puke: :lol:[/QUOTE]

:lmao:

I'll still eat dumplings but you'll never catch wanting to learn to play the piano ever again.:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back