Home Theater Hookups

schwartzvald

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Been building a shoestring-budget home theater ever since I got a cheap DLP projector at an auction, so I've been doing lots of eBay searches, and, well...

I think I just nabbed around $150 in premium home theater cables for about 4 bucks on eBay. I'm not talking Hong Kong-made "Super Deluxe ROHS 1080p Category 2 CL2 In-Wall" types, either... not that there's anything wrong with those. I mean the overpriced nitrogen-injected dielectric richie-rich cables, with super-purified copper and such, and pointlessly-high HDMI bandwidth.

I seem to have scored big, unless I'm TOTALLY missing something in the fine print... and I quadruple-checked the auctions and the auctioneer's feedback. Even if it's a scam, it's worth the experiment for four bucks. The only thing that worried me is that the auctions survived a relisting, and they didn't seem to be mis-categorized. Although they were hard to search for, lost in a flood of HDMI bulk sales.

If anyone's interested I'll add more as it develops... I'm still in disbelief, waiting for the "you got scammed" hammer to fall.

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']You could of gone to monoprice.com[/quote]

Yeah and you would of known that they where going to show up and be good quality.

Actually, half the stuff I'm using is coming from monoprice. Love their stuff. :D I just bought these because they were such a good deal.

Still communicating with the seller about getting combined shipping, but it looks totally legit. I'll make happy pictures with the digital camera when the package arrives.

speaking as someone who uses bang-for-the-buck home theater equipment, but also owns some overpriced fancy-pants cabling (a lot of it new -- bought from yard sales and swap meets), i am of the opinion that the high end stuff is useless, unless you're pairing it with ultra high end components. i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you aren't. much like watching a blu-ray disc on a 13" B&W TV, you aren't going to notice any difference between a $4 HDMI cable and a $180 HDMI cable (oftentimes, they're literally of identical quality and construction).

that said, a score is a score, and if you landed some expensive and high quality cables for give-away prices, then congrats. maybe you could even sell them for a tidy profit.

I run a couple of higher end components and all of my cables are from monoprice. I have a 75' HDMI, a 50' HDMI, and several smaller ones that work fine from them. All of my in wall speaker wire (along with the in wall HDMI) has come from them with great results. Since I went 7.1, I figured about 300' of speaker cable would do it. That was barely enough.

[quote name='schwartzvald']Still communicating with the seller about getting combined shipping, but it looks totally legit. I'll make happy pictures with the digital camera when the package arrives.[/quote]

There's a good chance you'll be getting a picture... and only a picture ;)

JK - good luck OP!

Stuff came in today. I got more than a picture:

cable.jpg

Again, I don't advocate overpriced theater cables, but for 4 bucks plus shipping, I'll bite.

bread's done
Back