Home theater system help.

ImSoFly

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am planning on getting one once i get my tax return money or maybe sooner if there is some kind of discount i can get on one. I was looking to spend no more than 500 on a good system, and about 3-400 ont he periphials. I dont know which one to get. I was looking at the samsung one with the four big boy speakers. Ill list what i have and if the electronic experts could lend me a hand that would be great.
TV: 32inch Samsung hdtv lcd (Its the new one with the curved bottom)
Ps3: dont have cables yet cause im not sure which to get
Ps2: with psyclone component cables
Wii: with nintendo component cables
hdtv Digital Cable: time warner component cables
Please let me know all the things i need to connect my systems to the surround sound system. All the wires ill need and i need a component switch too. I think i messed up by spending 60 on the psyclone component cables cause ive read that the official sony ones are the same thing for half the price. Thanks in advanced.

First you need to find out how many HDMI ports your TV has. My Samsung (40") has two. You will likely want to get HDMI cables for your PS3 and HD cable box if you have the space. My Time Warner box runs fine with the HDMI cables. Since the PS3 runs 1080p, you will need to have an HDMI cable for this one at a minimum.

With my setup, everything runs into the TV and then the sound is output to the stereo (some via optial, some normal R/W). This is not the only way to do it, but it works for my setup.

I don't know if the PS3 will up convert your existing DVD's, but if you don't have one of those, you might want to look at one. Samsung makes one and Sony makes a 5 disc upconverting DVD player for about $150.

I'd also consider a universal remote to run all of your stuff, but both the Wii and PS3 run on bluetooth, so you will need to see if you can fine one that will run components via IR and Bluetooth.

Cables, buy them at monoprice.com. Don't pick those up at the store and for the most part, the crap they feed you about Monster cables being necessary is just that....crap. Why pay $129.99 for an HDMI cable, when you can get that shit shipped from monoprice for $15.99.

Hope this helps.

TBW

The Onkyo HT-S790 is the perfect $500 system. It's only $409 on Circuitcity.com and you can do in-store pickup too.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...48967/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It really is awesome. Watching Star Wars: Episode III on 7.1 sound is just stunning. The sound is just so clear and loud, it's awesome. The only problem I have with it is the design. If you're looking for a sleek, sexy home theater system, steer far away. But if you want great sound quality, pick up this system. I'd also reccomend an Optical Audio Cable to hook up to your DVD player in order to get true 7.1 sound.

thanks for the replies, but i would like more opinions. Also can someone give me a price estimate for the total and if you have the patience break it down for everthing i am gonna need from the systems to the switch and wires. I would go to bestbuy and ask that department they have but they usually try to push either the best or what ever is not selling well on you.

Onkyo's HTiB's are pretty good (though I'm really not a fan of HTiB's) so that's definitely a good option for under $500. At that price point though, I'd look for a 5.1 rather than a 7.1 since the speakers you'll be getting will very likely be quite a bit better.

I'm going to assume since your TV is new it probably has one HDMI input.

I'm going to reccommend this Onkyo system because it has hdmi inputs and an output and Onkyo is a great brand and this system has great reviews. This system has 3 component inputs and 2 hdmi inputs. It also comes with an upconverting DVD player.

The onkyo - http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S894&modelid=115&group_id=1&detail=1

The ideal situation would be for you to have an hdmi cable going from your TV's HDMI input to the reciever's HDMI output. Therefore you would be switching your components from your receiever rather then your TV now.

The PS3 would go into the receiver's first HDMI input, this signal would carry video and audio.
The PS2 would go into the receiver's component 1 input and you will also need a opticial cable to get true 5.1 to go into optical 1.
The Wii would go into the receiver's component 2 input and you will have the red/white cables going into video 2.
The Digital cable can go into component, have it go into component 3, that is the digital cable's video. If the digital cable box has an optical out you can connect it to optical in 3 for true 5.1 or have red/white audio cables going into video 3 for stereo.
Then have the dvd player that comes with it going into HDMI 2 for upconverted DVD's.

Cables I reccommend:
Optical audio cables for anywhere I reccommended an optical cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2&style=
HDMI cables for anywhere I reccommended an HDMI cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2219&seq=1&format=2&style=

monoprice is the absolute best place for cables. cheapest, best customer service, and look identical to the $140 monster cables.

and for speaker wire just pick up some 16 gauge at home depot.

I will recommend the Onkyo HTIB as well. Especially the 790. The best part about Onkyo's HTIB compared to many other brands is that they just rebadge their stand alone receivers and stick some speakers and a subwoofer in with it. In most other cases, the reciever in a HTIB setup is designed to be powerful enough for the speakers it comes with.

bread's done
Back