Home Theater System + Questions.

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
:wave:

I just purchased this TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...aquos&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218010847639) when it was on sale. I'm really happy with it!!

So now I need to get a home theater system..and to be honest.. I really don't know anything about sound.

I wouldn't know the difference between a good one and a bad one and a great one from a horrible one. :(

So any suggestions on what to look for? Anything specific anyone has in mind they could recommend? I have a PS3 so I do not need one of the bundles with a blu ray player. Even if no one has any specific recommendations, I'd appreciate just some things to look for. What are things to avoid and what are the things to really try and aim for?

Basically, when I was buying a new TV I was looking for 46-47 inches, 120hz and full 1080p. Shit like that.

And of course, the cheaper the better :bouncy:

:lol: I am a RETARD with this stuff. When you say multi-source.. do you mean surround sound? Like I said, I am an utter moron and noob with sound stuff.

What you just linked me to--how does that get set up? Through HDMI? How would I be able to play Xbox or PS3 or watch TV (I have my cable box on HDMI) and be able to use the sound?

:lol: expensive!!!

That's what I don't understand. Do I just need speakers..do I need a receiver? I don't understand anything about this!

If you want surround sound you need a receiver capable of it. You may not need 7.1 and Pioneer also makes a great 5.1 receiver as well - but it only has 2 HDMI inputs. I guess it all depends on how many HDMI components you are going to be using. If it;s just the PS3 and maybe one other thing then it's all good.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538971212/pioneer-vsx-819hk?s_c=site_search

There's also a lower priced 7.1 receiver with three HDMI inputs. The one I linked to in the other post has 4.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/538168931/pioneer-vsx919ahk

Those prices are pretty cheap for what you are getting.

The TV will only do 2.0 / stereo sound, so anything that gets fed directly into the TV will be stereo sound.

The receiver would take the 5.1 or 7.1 (7.1 only comes on some BluRay movie titles and PS3 games) sound and output it to the speakers. You'd feed all of your sources into it, such as the Xbox 360, PS3, cable box/DVR, etc, usually via HDMI or component. Most people don't need 7.1 sound, and any receiver will output the sound as it sees speakers available. The .1 is for the subwoofer, and the 5 is for the five channels of sound:

Front Left
Front Right
Center channel (for dialogue)
Rear Left
Rear Right

You'd need to connect the speakers to the receiver with speaker wire, or a wireless speaker kit, which has a transmitter and receiver.

A "soundbar" is a speaker device that simulates 5.1 surround sound by working with 2.1 or 3.1 speakers and fakes rear speakers. They're easy to set up, since they're just one device, though they won't take the place of a receiver and speakers.

HDMI cables do video and audio and they're digital. Component cables are analog, and you need a TOSLink cable (which is an optical cable) with it to do surround sound.

This is one option for a "everything you need in one box" solution:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S3200&class=Systems&p=i

It comes with a receiver that does 5.1 surround sound, plus six speakers, in a single box. It's an entry-level system that would work for your needs. I don't own it personally, though I do own an Onkyo receiver and love it.

The big thing you need is to figure out everything you'd be hooking to the receiver and determine how many inputs you'd need for all your devices. PS3 and 360 can connect via HDMI or component + TOSLink, PS2 and Xbox connect via component + TOSLink, Wii and GameCube connect via component.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a nice little system posted on SD today for ~219 after tax from sony style. 3 HDMI inputs, etc. It's not fancy, but at that price, it'll do the job for most people.

what shrike posted
thats the easiest decent thing you can do and it doesnt suck which most of the cheaper solutions do.

I am also looking for a theater setup. How does the one shrike posted work. There's 3 inputs, but only 1 output. So does it take all 3 and just use one 1 hdmi cable output to the TV and send everything there?

[quote name='Mako1215']I am also looking for a theater setup. How does the one shrike posted work. There's 3 inputs, but only 1 output. So does it take all 3 and just use one 1 hdmi cable output to the TV and send everything there?[/QUOTE]

yes, switching is then done by the avr.

Glad shrike got in here before more sony htib setups were recommended. That is where I send everyone looking for a budget system. Op, a budget for this does help btw. You should pop over to avs forums. They will have all your answers. Just read what they recommend for all the people requesting a home theater on a budget.

Considering you have a ps3, if your really into movies I'd try for a reciever with truehd sound. Another way to save is buy the reciever, front and center speakers. Skip the rear and sub till you can buy better front speakers and move the fronts to the rear. The energy take5 speakers get good reviews for budget priced, Pair those with a reciever and your on your way. Obviously monoprice for all your cable needs.

[quote name='rmb']Considering you have a ps3, if your really into movies I'd try for a reciever with truehd sound. Another way to save is buy the reciever, front and center speakers. Skip the rear and sub till you can buy better front speakers and move the fronts to the rear. The energy take5 speakers get good reviews for budget priced, Pair those with a reciever and your on your way. Obviously monoprice for all your cable needs.[/QUOTE]

On that note, this is what I have:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S7100&class=Systems&p=i

This package is nice because the receiver is quite good, and it includes two speaker stands, which alone can cost over $100. I'm a complete HT noob, and I was able to get everything set up in a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon. The fact that it includes an audyssey microphone to calibrate speaker levels helps tremendously.

I did have a couple problems. One set of speaker wire was defective out of the box, but that wasn't a big deal as I'm only using a 5.1 setup for now. The other was that the screws for the speaker stands were not in the package. I called Onkyo, faxed them a copy of my purchase receipt, and had the screws at my door in a couple days.

I couldn't be happier with the whole thing. A quick Bing search shows most places selling it for around $600-700 with 2-8% cashback. I got mine last year from J&R Electronics for less than $500 with cashback, but they don't stock the HT-S7100 any more.

I'm going to invade your topic to ask a quick question. I've been interested in getting a surround sound system when I can afford it, but there was one part I forgot about. Wires. Do many people NOT run the wires through the wall? How do you do the back speakers without the wires looking like a mess? I don't live in a permanent residence, so I can't run it through the walls.

Some run them in the wall, along the wall, or put a rug down over the wires. I think someone in the thread said something about wireless but I don't know if you can get a wirless reciever for all theater systems or if they only come with some of the home theaters in a box.

As for brands Onkyo is a good one and I have a reciever that is made by them. It is a cheaper one that was only around 200 bucks and works fine for me. I would stay away from sony as I have learned in the past with car audio that their audio products are not that good.

I would also stay away from home theaters in a box that have built in DVD and maybe BD. I had one in the past that was a 5 disc DVD player and only 5.1 I would get was for DVDs only. However that was one that I bought at walmart and this was about 5 years ago. So just make sure that if you do get one that will will do 5.1 or 7.1 for everything and not just the build in DVD/BD.

well the simple answer is to buy a wireless kit but i refuse as i dont think theyre up to par.
before i bought my house i had my wires run under the base boards and carpet.
in my house now i didnt even bother to hide them. im building some stuff for the home theatre when its time they will go in the walls.

edit - as far as staying away from sony their lower priced htib are not very good there is absolutely nothing wrong with their avr's
the reason you see onkyo suggested so often here is because the speakers they box with the cheaper htib are actually useable.
theyre the cheapest decent htib you can get as far as most are concerned.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']I'm going to invade your topic to ask a quick question. I've been interested in getting a surround sound system when I can afford it, but there was one part I forgot about. Wires. Do many people NOT run the wires through the wall? How do you do the back speakers without the wires looking like a mess? I don't live in a permanent residence, so I can't run it through the walls.[/QUOTE]
On the floor, against the wall. Most of it is hidden behind furniture, but the sections that are visible are unobtrusive. If you're really anal about it you can usually tuck it under the carpet.

If you have to run wire across open floor (as I do, where my kitchen meets the living room) you can run it through those wire guides. The actual name escapes me, but I know they sell them at Home Depot.

Thanks. I didn't think about cord coverers. Although I also had an idea just now that would work as well. I could just run the side that would run out in the open with the blocked side and use a longer cable for it. Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier :p I guess I was thinking about it being like my ethernet cord in the open. I trip over it a lot, but I don't mind if I do, because the clip on the tip of it was already broken, so when I trip over it, the loose connection just comes out.

I got the same TV. Personally Im just getting the soundbar. I don't feel like messing with home theater again and its for my bedroom, so space saver.

[quote name='Mako1215']One more question. What is the difference between the master hd sound and all that.[/QUOTE]
I assume you're referring to DTS-HD Master Audio? That and Dolby TrueHD are surround formats that use lossless compression. Since there's no data loss you get sound that's essentially identical to the studio master.

Compare that to Dolby Digital and DTS (common with DVDs) which are lossy formats.

[quote name='Allnatural']I assume you're referring to DTS-HD Master Audio? That and Dolby TrueHD are surround formats that use lossless compression. Since there's no data loss you get sound that's essentially identical to the studio master.

Compare that to Dolby Digital and DTS (common with DVDs) which are lossy formats.[/QUOTE]

if youre not using a player that decodes it all or has the ability to be updated youll want to ensure your avr will decode it.

This is a little late to the party, but I'll post anyway for anyone who comes across this thread. Since you're a CAG, I'm assuming that you're going to be on a budget, but still want the best system possible. The PS3 can output HD sound, so you'll want something that can accurately transfer that into your ears. If you want a great sounding system with lots of inputs and capabilities, you'll want an onkyo receiver. You'll then want great 5.1 sound, which means Polk Audio. Lastly, you'll need cables and wire to set this up, which means Monoprice. Here's some links to get your research started.:

Polk Audio rm6750: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B0002WTK4S

Onkyo tx-sr606: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-90w-x-7ch-HDMI-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

Monoprice stands (and everything else): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=2

I also recommend Monoprice for speaker wire (14ga is great), optical and HDMI cables.

All of this puts you at a total under $600 for everything. Considering that you have a nice TV and a PS3, you won't have any reason to upgrade anything for a long, long time. If you have any questions about any of these sites or products, post here or send me a PM.

[quote name='Relysis']This is a little late to the party, but I'll post anyway for anyone who comes across this thread. Since you're a CAG, I'm assuming that you're going to be on a budget, but still want the best system possible. The PS3 can output HD sound, so you'll want something that can accurately transfer that into your ears. If you want a great sounding system with lots of inputs and capabilities, you'll want an onkyo receiver. You'll then want great 5.1 sound, which means Polk Audio. Lastly, you'll need cables and wire to set this up, which means Monoprice. Here's some links to get your research started.:

Polk Audio rm6750: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B0002WTK4S

Onkyo tx-sr606: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-90w-x-7ch-HDMI-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

Monoprice stands (and everything else): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=2

I also recommend Monoprice for speaker wire (14ga is great), optical and HDMI cables.

All of this puts you at a total under $600 for everything. Considering that you have a nice TV and a PS3, you won't have any reason to upgrade anything for a long, long time. If you have any questions about any of these sites or products, post here or send me a PM.[/QUOTE]
no offense but those are not even close to the only options.
and the gauge of speaker wire needed is decided by the length of its runs nothing more.
all the big manufacturers offer something comparable to the 606.

dont state opinions like facts, youre doing a disservice to cags who may look for reliable information on this subject.

Ok I can't seem to find anything at all. I want something that will play everything the PS3 can perfectly. I use my PS3 as a bluray/gaming system. I also want it to be able to play my 360. I use HDMI for both of those. Also I hook up my Wii every now and again. Also wireless speakers since I don't feel like messing around with wires and I want a clean setup.

And for around 500$ would be nice, but always the least amount possible for something good is ideal. Thanks.

O and also for my cable too. So I need 3 HDMI in, and some component cables.

for cables monoprice.

what do you want? 7.1 ? 5.1?
2.1?
how big is your room?
do you want floor standing fronts?

Now I know that as soon as one mentions they were a salesman, most people call bullshit and stop listening, so I don't blame you if you skip this. I sold TVs and Home Theater for about three years back in the day. Most of what I knew then still holds up today, so I thought I'd define some terms for you.

Basics Components

Receiver - This is more or less the brain of your audio system. It is largely what controls (or houses what controls) everything from volume and input selection to whether or not you'll be using DTS or Dolby Digital. It also houses the amplifier, which is what normally powers your speakers. What you want to look for is something with plenty of inputs, that can decode at least DTS and Dolby Digital.

Speakers - I'm assuming you know the basic function of these guys. The speakers normally take care of your mid and high range sounds. A 5.1 set-up (the baseline of home theater at the moment) will have two in the front, two in the rear, and one "center" speaker. The rears are typically used for ambiance and limited effects, while most of your action will be produced by your fronts. Almost all dialog comes from the center (which is why it's normally resting under your TV set, but people are known to get creative). Despite what Bose tells you, tiny speakers do mean tiny sound (I'll cover them in a sec), so I would recommend you get these as large as your aesthetics will allow. Especially the fronts.

Subwoofer - This is the .1 in 5.1. It comes in two varieties for your purposes: Powered, and Passive. Powered means it houses it's own amplifier, and as a result can usually create a bigger boom. Passive means it feeds off the amp in the receiver, and so it tends to be weaker.

Bose - While they sure do look pretty, we don't look at audio, we hear it. Bose setups will sound nice at first blush, but before long you'll notice that unless it's a high frequency sound, it's distorted and mushy. The cubes cover only high range sounds, while everything else is crammed into the LFE. Their LFE isn't really a subwoofer. It's more like it's own amplifier. Imagine a soprano opera singer hitting the high notes really well, and everything else sounds like it's coming through cotton. This is just my opinion of course, and judging by their sales figures I'm in the minority.

Cables - At the moment, the two real choices for cables are Optical (TOSLink) and HDMI (there's another one called Digital Coax, but it's typically thought of as an inferior connection and most devices don't use it anymore). Optical is audio only, and most receivers will have at least two of these on them so you can hook in multiple sources. HDMI is that Video cable you probably bought to hook your PS3 up to your TV. Well, it carries audio too, and just as well as the Optical cable at that. "But if I hook the PS3 into the receiver, how do I get it back to the tv?" you ask?

Video Switching - An often overlooked feature of a good receiver, video switching makes it awfully convenient to have several things hooked up at once. ESPECIALLY when your receiver has HDMI switching. Really keeps the amount of behind-the-tv cable clutter down.

Now my recommendation for you is:

HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) - A perfect starter system, and generally cheaper than getting everything separately. What you sacrifice in sound quality and flash you make up in convenience. Some come with a DVD player built in to the receiver, which I would recommend against, mainly because they tend not to give you additional inputs for hooking up things like your 360 or PS3, and more often than not they don't do video switching either. Others (like my choice below) are just a receiver, speakers, and everything to hook them up in a small to mid-sized area.

That's the more current model of what I have (wish I'd waited a year for the HDMI inputs, but I got a good deal). Sure I could have spent a couple grand putting together something nicer, but after all those years of building stuff for other people, it lost it's allure for me. Onkyo makes a good product, especially when it comes to HTIB, but there are cheaper alternatives out there. Good luck.

EDIT - WIRELESS SPEAKERS

I didn't see that post above about wireless speakers. I wouldn't do it. They sound like crap when compared with wired stuff. If you don't want wires, you don't want surround sound.

Good post ^^
Thanks. I'll be doing 5.1 ( don't need 7.1 atm )
My room is a decent size. I don't know the exact specs.
and standing floor speakers are fine with me.

I just want something that will fit my budget and handle all my devices.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']Now I know that as soon as one mentions they were a salesman, most people call bullshit and stop listening, so I don't blame you if you skip this. I sold TVs and Home Theater for about three years back in the day. Most of what I knew then still holds up today, so I thought I'd define some terms for you.

Basics Components

Receiver - This is more or less the brain of your audio system. It is largely what controls (or houses what controls) everything from volume and input selection to whether or not you'll be using DTS or Dolby Digital. It also houses the amplifier, which is what normally powers your speakers. What you want to look for is something with plenty of inputs, that can decode at least DTS and Dolby Digital.

Speakers - I'm assuming you know the basic function of these guys. The speakers normally take care of your mid and high range sounds. A 5.1 set-up (the baseline of home theater at the moment) will have two in the front, two in the rear, and one "center" speaker. The rears are typically used for ambiance and limited effects, while most of your action will be produced by your fronts. Almost all dialog comes from the center (which is why it's normally resting under your TV set, but people are known to get creative). Despite what Bose tells you, tiny speakers do mean tiny sound (I'll cover them in a sec), so I would recommend you get these as large as your aesthetics will allow. Especially the fronts.

Subwoofer - This is the .1 in 5.1. It comes in two varieties for your purposes: Powered, and Passive. Powered means it houses it's own amplifier, and as a result can usually create a bigger boom. Passive means it feeds off the amp in the receiver, and so it tends to be weaker.

Bose - While they sure do look pretty, we don't look at audio, we hear it. Bose setups will sound nice at first blush, but before long you'll notice that unless it's a high frequency sound, it's distorted and mushy. The cubes cover only high range sounds, while everything else is crammed into the LFE. Their LFE isn't really a subwoofer. It's more like it's own amplifier. Imagine a soprano opera singer hitting the high notes really well, and everything else sounds like it's coming through cotton. This is just my opinion of course, and judging by their sales figures I'm in the minority.

Cables - At the moment, the two real choices for cables are Optical (TOSLink) and HDMI (there's another one called Digital Coax, but it's typically thought of as an inferior connection and most devices don't use it anymore). Optical is audio only, and most receivers will have at least two of these on them so you can hook in multiple sources. HDMI is that Video cable you probably bought to hook your PS3 up to your TV. Well, it carries audio too, and just as well as the Optical cable at that. "But if I hook the PS3 into the receiver, how do I get it back to the tv?" you ask?

Video Switching - An often overlooked feature of a good receiver, video switching makes it awfully convenient to have several things hooked up at once. ESPECIALLY when your receiver has HDMI switching. Really keeps the amount of behind-the-tv cable clutter down.

Now my recommendation for you is:

HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) - A perfect starter system, and generally cheaper than getting everything separately. What you sacrifice in sound quality and flash you make up in convenience. Some come with a DVD player built in to the receiver, which I would recommend against, mainly because they tend not to give you additional inputs for hooking up things like your 360 or PS3, and more often than not they don't do video switching either. Others (like my choice below) are just a receiver, speakers, and everything to hook them up in a small to mid-sized area.

That's the more current model of what I have (wish I'd waited a year for the HDMI inputs, but I got a good deal). Sure I could have spent a couple grand putting together something nicer, but after all those years of building stuff for other people, it lost it's allure for me. Onkyo makes a good product, especially when it comes to HTIB, but there are cheaper alternatives out there. Good luck.

EDIT - WIRELESS SPEAKERS

I didn't see that post above about wireless speakers. I wouldn't do it. They sound like crap when compared with wired stuff. If you don't want wires, you don't want surround sound.[/QUOTE]

The specific model he mentioned here is available as a refurb for $130 cheaper than the retail price.
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S3200&modelid=90&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=0

[quote name='Mako1215']The only thing that kills this for me is the fact that the hdmi can't handle audio.[/QUOTE]

My fault entirely. I missed that on the description. CNET reviews are your friend when it comes to those kind of specifics. I believe the next model up may do audio through hdmi, but I wouldn't take my word for it.

[quote name='PuNK45S']Well, I can't guarantee it, but this is the step-up from that model, so it might have it.
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S5200&modelid=95&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=0

and if you buy it before 10/16 and sign up for ClubOnyko (free signup) you get an extra 10% off for columbus day[/QUOTE]

I was looking into this system as well, unfortunately it also does not pass audio over hdmi. I got this info from a newegg review.
Does any have a good htib that does?

Try this for a receiver:
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR607&modelid=67&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

Refurb'd unit at $379.99, 10% off additional due to the Columbus day promotion. 6 HDMI inputs, it'll do HDMI audio and the like. Should be what you need for a while. Just need to add speakers and subwoofer.

I have a refurb TX-SR876 and it's a monster of a receiver, though outside your price range. It's matched to these speakers in 7.1:
http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecommerce/productdetail.aspx?productID=144501&menuID=33 (speakers)
http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecommerce/productdetail.aspx?productID=144990&menuID=33 (sub)

I think they sound pretty good. AVSForum.com likes them as some good entry speakers.

For a HTIB option, you might want to try one of these two:
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S6100&modelid=100&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S7100&modelid=108&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

7100 is more powerful and expensive than the 6100, though both will do audio over HDMI, and they're including 7.1 speakers. Both are "last year's models", though I think they'll do you well. 10% additional savings as refurbs when you sign up for Club Onkyo.

[quote name='shrike4242']Try this for a receiver:
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR607&modelid=67&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

Refurb'd unit at $379.99, 10% off additional due to the Columbus day promotion. 6 HDMI inputs, it'll do HDMI audio and the like. Should be what you need for a while. Just need to add speakers and subwoofer.

I have a refurb TX-SR876 and it's a monster of a receiver, though outside your price range. It's matched to these speakers in 7.1:
http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecommerce/productdetail.aspx?productID=144501&menuID=33 (speakers)
http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecommerce/productdetail.aspx?productID=144990&menuID=33 (sub)

I think they sound pretty good. AVSForum.com likes them as some good entry speakers.

http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S6100&modelid=100&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S7100&modelid=108&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

7100 is more powerful and expensive than the 6100, though both will do audio over HDMI, and they're including 7.1 speakers. Both are "last year's models", though I think they'll do you well. 10% additional savings as refurbs when you sign up for Club Onkyo.[/QUOTE]

That 6100 is really tempting. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='rmb']Glad shrike got in here before more sony htib setups were recommended. That is where I send everyone looking for a budget system. Op, a budget for this does help btw. You should pop over to avs forums. They will have all your answers. Just read what they recommend for all the people requesting a home theater on a budget.

Considering you have a ps3, if your really into movies I'd try for a reciever with truehd sound. Another way to save is buy the reciever, front and center speakers. Skip the rear and sub till you can buy better front speakers and move the fronts to the rear. The energy take5 speakers get good reviews for budget priced, Pair those with a reciever and your on your way. Obviously monoprice for all your cable needs.[/QUOTE]

You need to have a budget and then go over to the AVS forum. Audio equipment becomes incredible expensive, especially for speakers. Based on your budget, they will probably recommend some good speakers and an inexpensive receiver.

[quote name='shrike4242']Try this for a receiver:

7100 is more powerful and expensive than the 6100, though both will do audio over HDMI, and they're including 7.1 speakers. Both are "last year's models", though I think they'll do you well. 10% additional savings as refurbs when you sign up for Club Onkyo.[/QUOTE]

Shrike,

I don't know about you, but I feel those HTIB options would be best for most people on a tight budget. Speakers just become expensive way too quickly. Not to mention quality subwoofers. (though you did mention some good options if you piece meal surround sound). Finding quality inexpensive speakers can be very difficult and often goes by word of mouth.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Shrike,

I don't know about you, but I feel those HTIB options would be best for most people on a tight budget. Speakers just become expensive way too quickly. Not to mention quality subwoofers. (though you did mention some good options if you piece meal surround sound). Finding quality inexpensive speakers can be very difficult and often goes by word of mouth.[/QUOTE]

i agree, its just the easiest way to go about it. those bundles are so cheap, its hard to reccomend other alternatives in these circumstances.

if someone wants to spend a little more id do as mentioned and spend as much money as i could on speakers, sorta like cameras and lenses.

Yea I was going after the 6100 on ebay, but it got away from because I was at work. It went for 365 :(

[quote name='paddlefoot']You need to have a budget and then go over to the AVS forum. Audio equipment becomes incredible expensive, especially for speakers. Based on your budget, they will probably recommend some good speakers and an inexpensive receiver.[/QUOTE]That's what I did, and how I found the Energy speakers I'm using on my system. The 876 ended up being a recommendation there as well.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Shrike,

I don't know about you, but I feel those HTIB options would be best for most people on a tight budget. Speakers just become expensive way too quickly. Not to mention quality subwoofers. (though you did mention some good options if you piece meal surround sound). Finding quality inexpensive speakers can be very difficult and often goes by word of mouth.[/QUOTE]I agree, the 6100 and 7100 HTIB options are good options, which is why I stuck them up there with the links to the ShopOnkyo.com site. I could have easily gone crazy with speaker costs, though I'm extremely happy with what I purchased for what I spent. Doing piecemeal for a system is always going to be more expensive than a HTIB option. Most of the HTIB's out there aren't that great systems, even for the money. The 6100 and 7100 systems seem like good options because they do audio over HDMI.

[quote name='deathscythehe']That 6100 is really tempting. Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]Happy to help. If you can swing it, the 6200 seems to have some nice upgrades over the 6100, though it's a couple hundred more than the 6100.

[quote name='Mako1215']Yea I was going after the 6100 on ebay, but it got away from because I was at work. It went for 365 :([/QUOTE]Try the ShopOnkyo.com site for the 6100, you might luck out there. Also, check SD and FW for prices on those systems.

bread's done
Back