Honda Odessey EX or Pilot 4WD LX

vasco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I am about to have a new addittion to the family and my wife's Civic and my Rio won't fit them and travel stuff. So now she wants me to get an Oddessey, I don't wanna drive a soccer mom vehicle and get a Pilot. I know both have pros and cons, but I told my wife I would ask the CAG community. Thanks for the help in advance!

Your wife is correct. According to Consumer Reports anyway. I dunno if its the case now, but those Hondas were nigh impossible to find new when my family was looking to buy a van.

I'd highly recommend the Pilot (esp. the new one if you can afford it). My cousin has one and theyre pretty decent cars. The new one is actually pretty damn nice looking too. Other friend has an Odessey. I wouldnt. I dont like them at all. Big, sluggish tanks. Go for the Pilot.

positive8.jpg

[quote name='jPoD']I'd highly recommend the Pilot (esp. the new one if you can afford it). My cousin has one and theyre pretty decent cars. The new one is actually pretty damn nice looking too. Other friend has an Odessey. I wouldnt. I dont like them at all. Big, sluggish tanks. Go for the Pilot.[/quote]

My friends Dad drives an odessy and after a few short years it has already begun to fall apart (and he is very careful with his cars). I'd go with the Pilot if you want to retain some manlieness

I got a pilot drove to florida a 1000 miles with the whole family great suv for the family.Also drove in the recent ice and snow it was great

well i am in a similiar position and due to things I do on the weekends and space needed I am going to have to go with the odyssey...Yes it is like buying a car with a pair of scissors cutting off my nutts, but if you are having a baby there is a couple of things that odyssey provides that the pilot doesn't...for starters the slidding opening doors...it allegedly (according to people i know with babies that have them) make putting the child into the car a lot easier...the other thing is the gas mileage...you will do better on the mpg in the odyssey...believe me it was tough for me as I badly wanted the pilot, but due to the extra space, the electronic opening side doors, and the mpg I have decided to go w/the odyssey...when you buy one, i do believe they will give you the scissors

I've never been to MD, but snowy weather would warrant a 4WD, so that would be the most significant reason to stick to your guns with the Pilot.

Still, I have an Odyssey and it is a life saver as far as convenience and practicality. There's a ton of space which you'll need for those trips to the relatives' house (and if you have kids already you know you have to take the whole damn house with you for infants and toddlers), and of course the sliding doors and low clearance for the liftgate are the best for getting the little ones in and out of their car seats and accessing the trunk, respectively. Plus, the van rides and handles like a car, has automatic stability control for variable road conditions, and is very quiet and comfortable.

But if you only care about what other people think of you or really need the 4WD (which isn't really true "off-road" 4WD, of course), then go with the Pilot.

the pilot , mdx and the ridgeline i believe is all build from the odyssey platform.

personally i have 4 year old twin girls and before they were born i traded in a honda prelude for a mdx. i was thinking about getting a minivan but like most people here are saying about the scissors thing i elected to go with the mdx. at first i was really into the mdx but on a vacation to california i ended up renting a dodge minivan and found out how practical a minivan is. the ease of entering and leaving the vehicle through the sliding doors. how the shotgun passenger can get up and move to the back rows while the vehicle is still moving. if i had to do it again i would have gotten a minivan instead of a mdx. yeah i have 4wd and i live in chicago. and i use my 4wd maybe once a year.

so my suggestion as a cag and a parent is go for convenience not image. and think pilot odyssey same platform same shit.

Yup. You turn the nuts in before you drive away.

We have an Odyssey and love it. With three growing kids. The space is a lifesaver. Along with the gas milage helping the pocketbook between all their activities.

I can always jump in my Civic if I don't want to be confused with the soccer mom crowd.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Get the Pilot..... (however don't they have an awd odyessey ?... still the pilot is coooler)[/quote]

Unfortunately, they don't have an AWD version of the Ody. The Sienna has that available in the higher trims, though. Toyota's van is also highly rated and a very nice van in it's own right. Once I made up my mind that I needed a van, I had a tough time making the choice between the two, but over here there's only one Toyota dealer and getting one for a fair price compared to the Honda would have been more difficult. Honda's VCM tech was also a deciding factor.

Really, the OP won't go wrong with either choice. Both the Pilot and Ody are tops in their respective classes.

IMO toyota dealership are very very very arrogant...I looked at the sienna, and I have very long legs and don't fit in any toyota well (before I got my passatt I wanted a highlander but didn't feel comfortable.) My dad had the avalon and I dont like driving his car. I took the sienna out and it was nice, I was much more comfortable behind the odyssey though. When I got back to the office and the guy was selling it to me...they kept going on and on how great toyota are..I brought up how the odyssey is rater higher in the majority of reviews on the 2 caravans, and they were flat out denying it, and changed the subject to the new powerful engine they had. I said for $2k less i could get the odyessey and they had both back doors electronic slide open, where the sienna model i was looking at didn't have any...I told them I felt more comfortable in the odyssey, but the deciding factor was going to come down to cost and features and the odyssey had them beat on both...the sales rep goes and get the office manager...he listens to me and then he gets back on the engine rant, saying if i got the odyssey 10 years from now my car would be in the front lawn not moving and I could say well at least the door would auto open...I had it by then, explained that they were ranked 2nd in that class, I was getting a safer, more featured rich and $2k cheaper odyssey why would I want to buy the sienna...this was 2 months ago, and the sales rep still calls me every 2 wks

Well, thanks for the input fellas. I have until the 28th to take advantag of the 3.9% financing. I test drove both of them. Both are awesome. I like the pilot becuase if my wife has her way, and we buy a boat, I can pull it with the Pilot. I love the fact that the Ody has the power sliding doors. But it makes no difference to me since the only time we'll be driving this vehicle is when we go to long distance trips. That means I lug everything while my wife opens doors. The Pilot carries 8 while the Ody carries 7. I like the Multi outlets the Pilot has, but I like the fact that the Ody gives me 3 more miles per gallon. They both have 5 star crash ratings and safety features. I looked at the Sienna. But I almost punch the dealer in the face when I told him I wanna do things my way when he asked me why not sign now. He says I don't know what I want. So Honda is definately gonna be it. Image is nothing when it comes to the well being of me and the family. But if a boat is in the picture, I guess one outdoes the other.

bread's done
Back