Honestly should I pick up a PSP?

Sk

CAGiversary!
I kind of want one, but I've been hearing some rather bad things about their quality. I'd be using it for gaming, some music listening, and some mild video watching (really mild). Mostly it would be used for gaming and for music.

I've heard some bad things about the screens quality and the system's over quality too.

I'll either get a PSP or wait for a 5th Gen iPod for music (when it comes out). I really need a new MP3 play because my 3rd gen iPod got stolen a few months back.

Any suggestions would be great. I really don't want to buy one and regret it.

If its gaming and mp3 playback, get/stick with a gameboy of some sort and get an iPod. To get a mem stick thats worth a damn for music (1gig) your adding AT LEAST $100 to the $250 price of the psp. $350 right there. The games are entertaining, but not worth the price of admission yet. I do enjoy playing luminies/wipeout/ridgeracer, but theres not a killer app for it yet (much like a DS at the moment, but thats why i said Gameboy).

Keep in mind, i own a PSP and 4 games, 2 movies, and i still dont really back the system.

If you're asking for my honest opinion, no, it's not worth it. Movies on it are pretty worthless (unless you're a frequent traveler), and there isn't even one 'must have' game. It seems like there's actually more movies scheduled for release on it than games. Battlefield 2 with online support would be worth it, though.. same with Socom.. but both of those are scheduled for November at the earliest..

Oh, and, of course, the apprentice.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/520986.asp

And look at this guy's thoughts..

Usman Chaudhri: 5/21/05
I HATE I T
"It's true Donald trump will do anything for a buck ! I giv hai a buck if he giv me $1000,000.00

Wow. Broken english, commas in the wrong place.. hilarious

Nah, wait til it's battery life is improved. That's what I'm waiting out for any way. It's rather pitiful from what I hear.

It's worth it if you play A LOT of games on the go. I commute 3 hours a day on the train and I'm extremely happy with my purchase even though I own no movies and only have Lumines and HSG. I also have a GBASP that I play regularly too. There's not much out yet but $250 is a small price to pay to make my awful commute a little more bearable...

[quote name='SpottedNigel']

Keep in mind, i own a PSP and 4 games, 2 movies, and i still dont really back the system.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same... and when you see your new shiny system with 14 dead pixel.... it just a total killa...

Wait another year until sony lessen then dead pixel problem... still I rather get an ipod, the PSP is big and bulky to carry around in your pocket...

If playing SNES-era games for hours at a time is your thing, then by all means get a GBA.

If you want to carry around a brick that has 2 screens, a built-in chat program, and really dig games where you use your PDA stylus to touch womens panties and manipulate goldfish (like every male in Japan between the ages of 14 and 85 I imagine)...then by all means, get a DS.

If you want the closest thing to a console system that you can carry around in your pocket and is good for at least 4 hours of gaming, or video and MP3 playback...and you have the cash, get a PSP.

The equations really aren't that hard. If a GBA has enough "portable gaming fun" for you then why spend the money on a fancier system? I can't really recommend a DS if only because...well...I do think the system sucks. I think its too much bulk for too little "fun game experience"...but thats an IMHO, and your mileage may vary.

PSP is pretty cool, IMHO......and if you have to have one portable, at least this one does it all.....drop the dollars on a larger Memory Stick, put a few videos on it...some Mp3's...and buy a few games and your'e set.

Question ... how do people get their IPOD stolen? I have a Creative Zen Micro, and I guess people are too scared to try and take it or something? Do you just leave it somewhere and then come back and it's gone or have it stolen from your car?

The PSP just isn't worth it. The so-called "Value Pack" is $250, you'll want to buy at least one game for another $50, and to get a decent sized memory stick to put your music on, it'll run you at least another $50. That's $350 bucks.

For the same price, you could go buy a GBA SP ($60 at CC this weekend), a GBA game ($30), a portable DVD Player (some good ones at Target for $140), and an iPod shuffle (512 MB model for $100). You'd still come out $20 bucks ahead with some better gadgets to show for it.

Finally, don't let people convince you that the PSP is anymore portable than the DS. The DS is pretty big to lug around, that's true, but the PSP doesn't fit in your pocket any easier, especially if you want to keep it scratch-free. You'll more likely be babying it in a protective case.

FYI: Most games are $39.99 now at TRU...although I'm not sure if thats a sale or a new price drop. I admit $50 bones is alot to pay for a portable game...but I also accept that a $50 PSP game will more likely contain alot more content than a $30 GBA game with SNES graphics...to me I'd rather spend $50 on something I'll enjoy playing than something I'd spend $30 bucks on just to "settle for".

And give it time, the used PSP games will be turning up.....as they do with all systems.

It really comes down to wether the OP likes playing GBA-style games, or if they want the eyecandy and a more console-like experience. wether its worth it or not depends on how deep your pockets are.

People just run up and snatch iPods, they target people with t white ear buds and wait for you to pull it out to change the volume or skip a song and the instant they see it? *yoink*

But anyway once again we have one of these skill "convince me" threads. For god's sake there's more than a wealth of information on the net if you just go look for it that will help you to make the choice or avoid it, stop putting your faith in other people to make a 250 dollar decision for you.

In the end if you buy it and dont like it they only person you can be angry at is yourself. But if you bought it and were happy with it after doing the research you'll be that much more saticefied.

[quote name='opportunity777']Question ... how do people get their IPOD stolen? I have a Creative Zen Micro, and I guess people are too scared to try and take it or something? Do you just leave it somewhere and then come back and it's gone or have it stolen from your car?[/QUOTE]
Someone broke into my dorm room. Kind of out of my control.

FYI I really don't care about the GBA comparisons, I already own one. (Bought it at launch)

[quote name='2poor']no more stupid "convice me" threads[/QUOTE]
Rather than bash why don't you be a grown man and just avoid a thread you don't want to read. Basically stop bit@hing. All I want is people's opinions.

[quote name='Sk']FYI I really don't care about the GBA comparisons, I already own one. (Bought it at launch)[/QUOTE]

You have a GBA already? Just get an iPod/other mp3 player to go with it. By the time any "Must Have" games come out for the PSP(if any), the system will probably be cheaper, and possibly upgraded.

FYI, i got mine through various Gamerush deals, so no, i wouldnt pay full price for it, or any of its games.

bread's done
Back