Hooking up my laptop to a tv

assassinX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey guys, I have been reading about connecting my laptop to my HDTV CRT, via component cables. I have read that unless my laptop can send component signals out through the vga port, this will not work. However, I dont even know if my laptop can do such a thing. The TV inputs are S-Video, Components ( Y , Pb,Pr ) and 1 HDMI port.

Is it possible to buy a vga to component cable and hook it up to my tv? Also my laptop is a sony vaio with integrated graphics and the only outputs it has are VGA and S-Video. My Tv is a Sony KV-XS955 made in 2005.

Any help on this matter is appreciated :bouncy:

I've been through this problem before. Short answer: it's going to cost you a pretty penny to do it. Most new HDTVs come with a VGA port to solve this problem, but since yours doesn't, you'll need some kind of converter. Depending on how you convert the signal, it could be anywhere from $60 to $125. Converting the analog signal to a digital signal is going to cost you big bucks, as well as converting the VGA signal to Component. Your best bet is to get a new laptop or a new TV.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I've been through this problem before. Short answer: it's going to cost you a pretty penny to do it. Most new HDTVs come with a VGA port to solve this problem, but since yours doesn't, you'll need some kind of converter. Depending on how you convert the signal, it could be anywhere from $60 to $125. Converting the analog signal to a digital signal is going to cost you big bucks, as well as converting the VGA signal to Component. Your best bet is to get a new laptop or a new TV.[/QUOTE]

Or assassinX could give that cable that EV8 posted a shot for like 5 bucks and it won't cost him a pretty penny. The only thing that he's unsure of is whether the laptop would work with the cable, but that's a $5 risk that I think would be worth taking.

It's pretty unlikely that the video card in most laptops would support that cable though. I'd call the support for the laptop company (or the video card company if you the info) and ask before ordering.

I doubt Monoprice would give you a return if it doesn't work given the disclaimer on the site. But it's $5 (plus shipping I assume), so not a big chunk of change if you want to try.

I've not bothered with my laptop--since it's a Thinkpad designed for business--so I'm pretty sure the video card wouldn't support those kind of outputs (only has VGA out, TV doesn't have a VGA port).

[quote name='Chuplayer']Or assassinX could give that cable that EV8 posted a shot for like 5 bucks and it won't cost him a pretty penny. The only thing that he's unsure of is whether the laptop would work with the cable, but that's a $5 risk that I think would be worth taking.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work. I nearly bought that same cable. But unfortunately, the signal types are different. Just look at the Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Like I said, it's not an easy task. The signal can't just be separated or joined, it has to be converted using some kind of microprocessor. That's why the conversion boxes cost so much.

monoprice has a converter for $25, i bought one about a month back. Works pretty good but the video quality isn't the greatest.

Ah, I was afraid of this, and was hopin I wouldnt have to go through the conversion of analog to digital. Thanks for all the help.

[quote name='Access_Denied']It doesn't work. I nearly bought that same cable. But unfortunately, the signal types are different. Just look at the Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Like I said, it's not an easy task. The signal can't just be separated or joined, it has to be converted using some kind of microprocessor. That's why the conversion boxes cost so much.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything on the wikipedia page that says his laptop is necessarily different.

Straight from Monoprice's page, the cable does this...

It can only function with a VGA port that is either able to recieve or transmit Component signals (Y, Pr, Pb).

If AssassinX's laptop can transmit Y, Pr, Pb, then that cable should work. That's the question that AssassinX needs to answer for himself. Either that or take the $5 plunge and see if he lands in a pool without water.

Being that it's a laptop, it might be more likely that the hardware supports that. Should somebody want to use the laptop with a TV for business presentations at work, it would be very useful. It's possible that it doesn't support component, but not even AssassinX knows that for sure.

bread's done
Back