Hooking up my PC to my tv

PapiChullo

CAGiversary!
So I want to hook my tv up to my PC, so I can watch movies and what not that I've d'led on my HDTV. My TV has a vga input, but I just wanted to make sure I get the right cable before I buy one. So a couple of questions...

1) Is there a difference between VGA and Super VGA cables? If so, what's the difference?

2) I have a DVI and VGA slot on my tower, and I'm using the DVI slot for my computer monitor, for the HD picture. But will the picture on my TV from the VGA slot be a lot worse off? (for example, if I have something that is d'loaded in "HD", that looks sharp on my comp, look considerably worse on my TV?)

3) Will the stuff on my comp be displayed on both my computer monitor and television, or is there something I have to do to switch the signal to one output or the other?

those terms practically mean nothing, dont concern yourself with them.

People have alot of problems doing this because depending on your tv it can at times be very hard to find a resolution that will fit your TV screen.

You may want to check your tv to make sure it can support a computer hooked up to it, just because it has a VGA plug doesnt mean a computer can be hooked into it, FYI.

Not sure what you are asking in #3.

Thanks for your reply.

#3, basically what I'm saying is that I already have my computer monitor hooked up using the DVI slot, and I'm going to hook up my TV using my VGA slot. Will both my monitor and TV receive a signal, or does the computer only display on one device at a time?

3. I can only speak for nVidia cards, so if you have one you can do either or. Clone your desktop, horizontally span it, vertically span it, or use dual view. I'm guessing you either want to use dual view or clone.

[quote name='PapiChullo']Thanks for your reply.

#3, basically what I'm saying is that I already have my computer monitor hooked up using the DVI slot, and I'm going to hook up my TV using my VGA slot. Will both my monitor and TV receive a signal, or does the computer only display on one device at a time?[/quote]
No they wont, your monitor should have either an option to switch between the two.

unless you run a dual screen setup, but man Im not sure if that would work with a TV, like I said I havent dont it in awhile.

But you should check if your tv can support a pc hooked up to it, and if it can you should be able to figure it out, thats how I did it.

But when I did it, it was not very difficult it all.

I did it such a long time ago, I didnt even have an HDTV and had to hook it up with an S video cable LOL.

EDIT: ok maybe you can. :D

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Yeah, my TV can connect to a pc, my roommate has the exact same tv and is running his on his TV alone. I guess I'll go ahead and get a cable and get it hooked up.

Basicly once you hook your TV to your video card it will act as an extended desktop (same as having dual monitors). You will still see all of your icons and the start menu on your monitor. You can drag over icons to the other screen if you so choose. You can also choose in your video card options to make the TV the default screen, but there is no reason to do so in your case.

Depending on what program you choose to run to watch your downloaded media your options range from being able to drag the media player to the other screen or in some other cases having to change the settings in the media player to play on the other screen.

I had some trouble with this too. The 8000 nVidia series doesn't support, damn I forgot what it's called, but basically what it is is that it shows the video on your pc monitor (you can minimize the video, or do other shit) but displays the video full screen on the tv. I'm sure someone knows what it's called.

bread's done
Back