Hooking up my PS2 for online play.

Raptix

CAG Veteran
Hey, I'm having problems connecting my PS2 to the internet. I have one of those new, small PS2's with the network adapter built into it and a broadband connection. I unplug the ethernet cord (CAT 6 type) from my computer and plug it into the corresponding port in the back. I then take the "Online Start-up Disc v3.0" and pop it into the PS2 and turn it on. My broadband requires a user name and password, so I go to that option. Tried doing it automatically from there and it didn't work. Then went on to my computer to check my IP, Netmask, Gateway Router, DNS and even the host name. Didn't work. Retry about 6 times then give up in frustration. Why the hell is it not working!? I even bought a new ethernet cord and it still doesn't work! Why? I know I should ask my ISP but until the X-mas vacation is over I can't reach 'em, so I'm relying on you guys right now. Please, send any ideas because I have run out and am inches away from smashing this POS with a hammer, then taking those bits, throw 'em away, then light the garbage can on fire where I then lob a grenade into it!

Do you have Cable or DSL? (Cable has a coax running into the modem, DSL has a phone line). Who is your provider?

If you have cable you should not need a username/password. You said you do, so I am guessing you have Yahoo! DSL or something.

If you have DSL I won't be able to help much, as I don't have an adapter or DSL :) But those are questions that someone else would need to know to help you ... I assume.

Out of curiosity, you didn't buy a Crossover CAT cable did you? I've seen that mistake a few times.

Also, last night I got my little brother online - he has DSL and choosing auto config worked for him just fine, thankfully. There were three options, I think they were "I don't have an ISP, I do have an ISP and I have broadband (LAN)" or something similiar. We chose LAN (then auto-config) though for some reason I thought it would of been ISP since DSL still dials. If you have DSL and chose ISP, try LAN. No login/pass needed and no issues going through a router.

I'm no net wiz, but that's what worked for his DSL connection. When I setup my Cable connect, it was through a wireless adapter so it was manual, which took a few tries to get right, but all the info I needed was available in my routers setup.

Another thing to try is to unplug the cable/dsl modem, connect your PS2, then plug it back in so it 'refreshes' - then try and connect.

I think I've finally found the root of the problem. After looking at my ISP provider's site it said that if I enter the ethernet cord directly (which I do) I'll need to register the PS2's MAC address. First that didn't seem like a problem since I knew what that was, but in order for me to register it, I have to pay an additional $15/month to my ISP (which is Telus by the way) to get their play pack, allowing me to hook up PS2, X-box Live and other crap. So screw that, I'm going to buy a $30 router instead so I don't have to pay by the month and don't have to disconnect the cord from the computer everytime I play. Hopefull this will work. Thanks for your help guys.

PS I have another forum post on here called "Killzone Online 2-player?", but since no one is replying to it, I'll ask again here. Are you able to play Killzone online with 2 people on one PS2? And for that matter, are you able to with SOCOM II? Plan on getting that game along w/ the router tomorrow. Hooray for Boxing Day week!

Lets see if I can help. I'll do it in a Q and A type fashion.

Q:Are you connecting the PS2 on a router?
A: If so, you will have to manually input all the IP,DNS, NETMASK ect. In the configuration area of the PS2 network setup disk. Also if your connected via a router you will also have to open the ports that the PS2 uses to get online (search google for those), I myslef (I'm on DSL) just made a DMZ(demilitarized zone) for my consoles. A DMZ makes it so that the internal firewall that blocks the ports don't block the ports anymore, I assigned my consoles an IP thas is a DMZ so I wouldn't have to worry about port forwarding. You would have to do that in the router configuration screen.

Q: Does your ISP block ports that your PS2 uses?
A: If they do your screwed, just call them (I know you can't now) and they should tell you.

Q: are all the port numbers and user name/passwor correct?
A: Happens to the best of us, make sure everything is correct, one off letter or number throws everything off.

That's the only things I can think of that will casue your PS2 not to work.

FWIW, I hooked up my PS2 to my cable broadband connection via router, and let it do the auto-config, and it took about 5 minutes and automatically did everything. A router is definitely worth it, I've got two computers [sometimes 3, my work computer] and a PS2 hooked up, the 2 computers are always online and I don't have a problem. TimeWarner wants 15 bucks a month for 'home networking', where they lease you a router or give you multiple IPs. In most cases, that's not necessary [the mult IPs]. My 80$ router has more than paid for itself over the 3 years I've been using it.

Yeah I have a Linksys standard 4 port router. Most ISP's require an extra $5-$20 a month to get multiple computers on broadband. With a router, you can do it yourself and save a bundle, glad you figured everything out.

I have a linksys router downstairs; one port connects to the living room computer, the other port runs upstairs into my room and connects to a hub. My PC, my brother's PC, my XBOX and my PS2 are all in the hub. I basically used the auto-config for everything and it worked fine. Although obviously I guess you should try some of the techniques people mentioned here since your auto-config didn't seem to work. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that it's always worth it to just try the automatic stuff first, before you go opening ports and whatnot. Oh and this is all using Optimum Online Cable modem, not sure how similiar that is to your setup.

D_s - of course - well, assuming you mean a wireless router and a wireless adapter type of setup. That's how I play. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G and the Microsoft Wireless "Xbox" Adapter (but works fine for my PS2 as well). The initial setup is a bit trickier, especially if your network is keyed, but once set up, it works just as good as a wired connection (I've seen no lag so far).

Raptix,

If you are positive you have a CAT6 cable, and not a standard CAT5, that is going to be your problem to begin with.

I'm not entirely sure, but a CAT6 may be a cross over cable (as was mentioned earlier in this thread by HYDE). A CAT5 cable is used to network computers through a router or hub or switch or some other peice of hardware. A CAT6, assuming it is cross-over, would be used to directly connect two computers to each other without a router.

Simply put, the internal wires of a CAT5 cable match on both ends. So wire A starts at port 1 and ends at port 1. When information gets to a router, the router takes care of transferring it to the next PC.

(For all the techies, yes, I know it is much more complex than this and I'm using incorrect terms, but just bear with me for example's sake).

The information on some wires has to be passed to the other computer in a precise manner, and has to switch ports usually. So the stuff on Wire A starting at 1 needs to end at 4, the stuff on 2 goes to 5, etc. This is what a router does.

Without a router, there is nothing to "switch" the information. So with a CAT6, if you have two comps hooked up directly, the wires inside are orientied to end at different ports. So Wire A starts at 1 but ends at 4. This eliminates the need for a router.

Bottomline: You need to get a CAT5 cable. After that, just use a router and have the PS2 auto config itself.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Strell

[quote name='Strell']I'm not entirely sure, but a CAT6 may be a cross over cable (as was mentioned earlier in this thread by HYDE). A CAT5 cable is used to network computers through a router or hub or switch or some other peice of hardware. A CAT6, assuming it is cross-over, would be used to directly connect two computers to each other without a router.
[/quote]
Actually CAT6 cables are available in both standard and crossover varieties. I can personally confirm this since I have CAT 6 cables routed all over the house for my PS2, my XBOX, and 3 different PCs.

However, if the OP's cables are of the crossover variety, he will indeed have a problem. Just wanted to clear up the misconception that CAT6 cables must by definition be crossover cables.

Obviously it is not a cross over since he says he has it from his CPU - and since he doesnt have a router - it is most likely directly from the cable modem - so it will be a straight cable.

bread's done
Back