Hori Fight Stick EX2 for 360 39.99 at Gamestop

Chlorox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Title says it all I thought this was a pretty good deal myself. I've been looking all over for a decent option to play Street Fighter IV with and this by far was the best deal.

For the same price as one of the fight pads you can get your own stick:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42265

There's the link I know it says Virtua fighter 5 stick but it varies by location on what they actually have. So check the site see if a store near you has got one my store only had 2 left and i was quick to jump on that deal.

P.S. I really like the Fight Stick it takes a little getting use to but seems to be a really great quality product.

Yeah unfortunately that's the sucky thing I'm sure they've got a really low supply. One by me had them the next closest one was 45 minutes away.

dont own 1, here its good, debating driving 25 miles south in a snowstorm after work to get 1, I live 15 miles north of work

hmmmm

I have this stick and don't like it a whole lot. I guess its ok if you really need a 360 stick and are trying to save some money but honestly I'd imagine the SFIV sticks will be at least a little bit better.

i have this stick, it's pretty good, my only complaint is a i wish it were a little heavier. If you are an arcade stick elitist, you probably don't want this stick, but as a first stick, I'm very happy with it. I use it mostly to play SFT2HDR and some SCIV, (and hopefully SF4 soon :)) picked mine up for about this price on ebay last month. I couldn't find one at a gamestop and I looked quite a bit.

[quote name='anandxxx']Thanks.

Does it work well with other XBLA games? Solid quality? Nice and heavy? I don't really care what it looks like.[/quote]

What takes some getting use to is that the stick is set in a square boxed area like the japanese arcades have. US ones are more circular so that takes a little getting use to it's not bad though. The stick feels very solidly built and I've got no problems with the overall quality of the product.

I think it's a great alternative to the Street Fighter fightpads that are out considering they cost the same amount and you're getting a better quality product. I've read about a lot of problems with the fightpad and some inconsistencies with it.

If you also have the skills and know how you can actually upgrade this stick to a higher quality one: http://pineconeattack.com/2008/12/0...with-authentic-arcade-parts-xbox-360-version/

[quote name='Flak']I've heard it's pretty bad at picking up on quarter circle moves in the Street Fighter games, true?[/quote]

no. i have one and i dont have trouble like that.

my only problem was shortly after getting it, one of the buttons got stuck in, but after playing with it a bit, it came back out and has been fine ever since.

its great for arcade games like Pacman CE too, AND it works on PC as well

MODIFY YOUR EX2! That's what I did. You can EASILY modify the stick with Sanwa restrictor plates! The buttons are a little more complex, but you can easily do these mods for under $20

This is the Tutorial I used for JUST the stick

Here is button mod Link with photos, beware that my AVAST AV calls this site as a trojan when opened in Google Chrome, BUT default IE settings seem to block the Iframe load (do not override if it asks you to Download anything)

Here is a good (but not cheapest) place to get said parts
you may also try ebay.

I ordered $13 worth of parts:
Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate
Sanwa LB-30-N Joystick Bat Top (or you can keep the ball)
Sanwa JLF-CD Shaft Cover & Disk

Keep in mind EVERY time a fighting game comes out on 360 the EX2 is repackaged with new stickers. There are DOA4, VF5, and SC4 variants, though due to Madcatz licensing probably NOT a SFIV version, so get the SC4 on clearance now...

speaking of that sc4 stick, there not a link for that on gamestops website is there? couldnt find one myself, then again none of the sticks do

I'm not sure why everyone bashes this stick like it's some $10 piece of shit from Nuby or something like those DragonBall sticks that float around ebay and woot.

It's definitely not as good as some of the other choices, but for the price, it can't be beat. Unless you're playing competitions and are very very particular about arcade parts, which is perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with it. The quality is not "arcade" perfect, nor are they made to put up with the abuse an arcade cabinet gets, but it will DEFINITELY make your experience with arcade titles and fighting games much better than with the standard d-pad on the 360 controllers.

[quote name='pasko']Thanks OP, fair price[/quote]

No problem man like I said I've been looking for a decent deal on a stick and was surprised when this came up. If you look on ebay a lot of these are going for like 60+ same with amazon. $40 just can't be beat.

Thanks OP. I picked one up and I was immediately able to notice a huge difference compared to a standard 360 controller. I was able to pull off specials no problem in SFIIHD.

I'm getting mixed signals on if this arcade stick after reading some reviews, is it any good for old school arcade games like Pacman?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'm getting mixed signals on if this arcade stick after reading some reviews, is it any good for old school arcade games like Pacman?[/quote]
I bought this stick a month after getting my 360 back in November 2007 along with a copy of Virtua Fighter 5. As a stick for 3D fighters I've found it to by dynamite. I've had no problems pulling off any moves with Pai or any other character from any other series.

As for arcade games like Pac-Man, I absolutely hate it. The only one I like with it is Galaga. I'm planning to do the eight-gate mod here on it next month to see if that helps with XBLA games. I initially thought that since it was a four-gate it'd be perfect for all my Namco XBLA stuff. Oh how wrong I was.

http://www.championedition.com/?p=17

Just my opinion after 14 months of ownership.

[quote name='gar3']
As for arcade games like Pac-Man, I absolutely hate it. The only one I like with it is Galaga. I'm planning to do the eight-gate mod here on it next month to see if that helps with XBLA games. I initially thought that since it was a four-gate it'd be perfect for all my Namco XBLA stuff. Oh how wrong I was.
[/quote]

Actually it's not a four way gate, it's just a square 8 way. If you were to rotate the gate 45 degrees it would act as a 4 way allowing you only to hit one microswitch at a time. I don't think the octagonal gate will do you much better for games like pacman.

[quote name='anandxxx']Really? Damn, how could it be bad for Pac-Man?[/quote]

Because it's made for fighting games. If you want something for pacman you probably want a 4 way gate on your joystick so that it can only go up/down/left/right.

so I made the venture this evening, low and behold it was actually a doa4 stick that was there, not virtua fighter like the description. Very pleased indeed. Thanks a bunch for linking this op

The DOA stick should be the same price. its essentially the same stick, but has been out of production for some time.

I own the EX2 modded with a 8-way gate and I got to play with the Street Fighter 4 regular edition stick at the Street Fighter event and I would say its worth the extra $40. It adds more weight, better parts and its easier to mod.

The EX2 is not that bad for anyone who occasionally plays fighting games and wants a cheap alternative to the fighting pads. Unfortunately its very light and more difficult to mod, specifically the buttons.

Jdelius is quite right. This is not a bad stick for casual use, but if you're serious about fighting games, you'll crave better control. The soldering, desoldering, and dremeling involved in upgrading a Hori EX2 to arcade-quality parts is a lot more trouble than just getting an SF4 SE stick and performing an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE BUTTONS, THE BUTTONS. THEY BURN! :hot:

Hori Fight Stick Ex2. $40
hori_ex2.jpg

Mad Catz Street Fighter Regular Edition Stick. $80(XBOX 360)
street_fighter_mad_catz_regular.jpg

[quote name='danh920']so I made the venture this evening, low and behold it was actually a doa4 stick that was there, not virtua fighter like the description. Very pleased indeed. Thanks a bunch for linking this op[/quote]

Dang man lucky you. I was really hoping to get some kind of specialty stick rather than the plain jane. I guess after I mod it though that really won't make much of a difference what graphic is on it lol.

I'm glad to have helped anyone that was able to get a stick I hope the sticks bring you great luck in all your fighting game ventures :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from GS in Lake Success, NY near Queens. They had one in stock and I got a $10 discount on it because the box had a dent in it. (Store was empty and the manager was there. I talked some SFIV with him and he was totally cool about giving me the discount, didn't even ask for it.)

Got home and tried it with HD Remix, everything works perfectly! Pretty happy about this deal... $30 after the "damage" discount. :)

I was gonna drive up to the one in lake success but something told me not to... i got a regular ex2 stick for $40 on Jamaica ave. The people working there were surprised i knew about it and how cheap it would be. Great find OP!!!!

[quote name='monkeypoopz']I was gonna drive up to the one in lake success but something told me not to... i got a regular ex2 stick for $40 on Jamaica ave. The people working there were surprised i knew about it and how cheap it would be. Great find OP!!!![/quote]

Yeah, if I have to get something from GS, I usually go to the one on Jamaica Ave, but I was already in Long Island so I figured I'd give it a shot in Lake Success... the Jamaica Ave store also has plenty of the PS3 version of this stick for $30 as well...

I had this stick and it was decent, but I got to where I didn't like to use it. Just a note to anybody thinking of getting one of these.....it's noisy. It clicks every time you move it in a different direction. Fast paced movement becomes a loud click fest and it's very annoying.

[quote name='danh920']i noticed the click, i guess it helps you know when you've gotten the 1/4 circle[/quote]

I thought it was pretty helpful kind of like an audio cue to let you know the sticks positioning during use.

[quote name='Chlorox']I thought it was pretty helpful kind of like an audio cue to let you know the sticks positioning during use.[/QUOTE]

After several hundred "audio cues" you'll be hearing this rampant clicking in your sleep....brutal.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']After several hundred "audio cues" you'll be hearing this rampant clicking in your sleep....brutal.[/quote]

Lol Yeah I can definitely see where it would become annoying as all hell. Just drown it out with some music while you're kickin' ass though and it's all good.

[quote name='raiser']MODIFY YOUR EX2! That's what I did. You can EASILY modify the stick with Sanwa restrictor plates! The buttons are a little more complex, but you can easily do these mods for under $20
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that post, you made my day! I've had a DOA stick for a long time now, and I was never really happy with it since I'm used to real arcade stucks on other consoles. I happened to have a Sanwa stick laying around that I stole the gate from, and it's AMAZING. It doesn't feel quite like a pure arcade stick, but it feels like a nicer version of a Neo Geo stick, which is good enough for me.

[quote name='jdeluis']THE BUTTONS, THE BUTTONS. THEY BURN! :hot:[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! Thanks for this post. I own an EX2 (with sanwa gate) and really enjoy it, but if I were going to mod a stick with new buttons I'd totally buy the new MadCatz $80 stick. Good grief, could they have made swapping those buttons easier!?

That picture rules! Thanks!!

[quote name='walletandgromice']Holy crap! Thanks for this post. I own an EX2 (with sanwa gate) and really enjoy it, but if I were going to mod a stick with new buttons I'd totally buy the new MadCatz $80 stick. Good grief, could they have made swapping those buttons easier!?

That picture rules! Thanks!![/quote]

Here is a better close up of those two sticks.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204592/p-2.html

Hori even soldered the buttons on Street Fighter Stick released in Japan.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14709198&postcount=4687

I just picked mine up out here in LI today using it on Soul Calibur, personally I think you cant go wrong....ps3 owners save 10 bucks getting almost the same stick for 30 out here in Long Island the Cedarhurst and Smithaven Mall Gamestops have them in stock.

Call ahead and ask. The GB/EB online inventory thing is all wrong. I just wasted 35 minutes taking the subway downtown to the GS on broadway and 4th and they didn't have them.

bread's done
Back