Hori Fighting Stick Ex2 Toys r us In store only

s2k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I just called and checked local stock (you can do this online).
Price: 59.99

Its regular price but these babies are hard to find especially with street fighter 4 and marvel vs capcom 2 coming out.

Its a new item so many many stores should have them in stock.

I hear its a great stick for those on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
good news but the only store that has it around me is 370 miles away sadly. And Hori EX2 is a pain to mod actually. If you are going to mod it's better to buy the SF4 SE stick because their parts use that plug in easier to remove.

$30 @ Gamestop.

The ones that are more in-demand right now are the SF IV ones from MadCatz I believe (and in the case of those it is the TE sticks that are in highest demand), those are going to either be the generic-looking Virtua Fighter ones or the Soul Calibur ones.

They are good for modding though. I don't think I'd pay $60 for one, but they are good for modding.

Yeah but good luck getting them at gamestop they have s sold out a long time ago. This is a new item at toys r us just picked up 2 one for me and my bro and i got street fighter annversary for ps2. Signed up for the toys r us card got 10% off the two sticks and 40% off ps2 street fighter game.

[quote name='s2k']Yeah but good luck getting them at gamestop they have s sold out a long time ago. This is a new item at toys r us just picked up 2 one for me and my bro and i got street fighter annversary for ps2.[/quote]

I'd say good luck finding them at TRU as well. New (as in recently minted) seems unlikely as well, sounds like another TRU with years-old stuff sitting in the stock room (or from one of their distro centers). Unless Hori figured they needed to cash in on the SFIV craze (but if that is true and/or their intent they are quite a bit late).

Reminds me of the time I went into a local TRU and saw a freshly opened box of copies of non-GH GT4 on the shelf for $8 each about 2+ years after it went GH.

I got 2 at TRU and they had 2 left and i called another store near and they said they just got them in.

I just finished playing SF4 and SF2HD remix. I have to say wow for 53.99 (got 10% of because I signed up for a toys r us card) its a hell of a stick. Much better than the mad catz SE xbox one i had but ebayed because i dident like it too much. This is a great alternative for those waiting for TE sticks to be shipped or to actually find them.

Crazy. In-store availability says they are available at most TRUs around here. Not a deal, not sure why Hori is bothering re-releasing these this long after SFIV came out (and this far from MvC2 coming out), but guess it is worth it if you want one of these bad enough to pay retail.

I would get one of these but I think either my TRU aren't getting it or not got the shipment yet. I hope they'll have it soon. I am sick of playing SF4 with my 360 controller and miss my Ultra and lose =(

[quote name='pimpster4183']Is this stick good for games like SC4, SF4 without modding it?[/quote]

If you aren't a hardcore player, it's a decent stick. But expect it to wear out fast if you smash it like crazy (well i guess anything would wear out fast if you do that). Sanwa parts are just to make the stick more sensitive, and i guess last a bit longer. From what I know Hori makes really reliable stuff unlike Madcatz lol.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I would like to get this, but I want some TRU coupon to use on it.[/quote]

Spoken like a true CAG, I'm in the same boat would be great for the Soul Calibur 4 from the BBY sale, and there are usually 5 off 25 babiesrus/toysrus coupons floating around but...i dunno if thats good enough.

[quote name='s2k']I got 2 at TRU and they had 2 left and i called another store near and they said they just got them in.

I just finished playing SF4 and SF2HD remix. I have to say wow for 53.99 (got 10% of because I signed up for a toys r us card) its a hell of a stick. Much better than the mad catz SE xbox one i had but ebayed because i dident like it too much. This is a great alternative for those waiting for TE sticks to be shipped or to actually find them.[/quote]

You signed up for a credit card just to get $7 off your purchase? :wall:

[quote name='PhrostByte']You signed up for a credit card just to get $7 off your purchase? :wall:[/quote]

Well i bought 2 sticks 59.99 each makes it 12 bucks off for both or 6 each and then an extra 10% off SF for ps2 which is about 1.10 cents. I was going to pay with my credit card anyway and i have the money to pay it off now. I already made the payment with my checking so It was extra savings for doing nothing.

[quote name='s2k']Well i bought 2 sticks 59.99 each makes it 12 bucks off for both or 6 each and then an extra 10% off SF for ps2 which is about 1.10 cents. I was going to pay with my credit card anyway and i have the money to pay it off now. I already made the payment with my checking so It was extra savings for doing nothing.[/quote]

So you took a hard credit pull for $13 savings? LOL.

If you do plan on trying to get one of these from a TRU and the store locator says they're in stock, i'd call ahead if you have to travel a long ways to get to one. I've been told the store locator is usually highly inaccurate a majority of the time.

I'm unsure if this is such a great deal or not. Simply for the fact that if you want a good stick, the Real Arcade Pro would be much better.

[quote name='PaRappa/GMRTAG']Just to let you guys know that TRU card will hit you with over 20% interest. What a RIP OFF![/QUOTE]

It's a store card, what do you expect? People definately should read those terms and conditions before signing up more often, but they don't.

If you really want that discount, pay the card off right away on the due date so they can't stick you with the interest.

Haha, seriously these are not easy to mod. To anyone who says they are, go look at what it takes to mod the recent madcatz sticks.

and yes, it will work for any fighter that lets you map buttons how you want them to be.

If my store still has it in stock tomorrow I'm in for one. I need to use this TRU GC from the RE5 deal anyways, and I'm borrowing SF4 from a buddy for a couple weeks so this will work.

thanks for posting OP, I would have probably lost out on this GC!

[quote name='blowmefer']What are you talking about?

It was EASY to mod!

I picked up one for when SFII HD Remix came out, and modded it using these guides / links:

http://www.championedition.com/?p=16
http://www.championedition.com/?p=17

The play-ability improvement is HUGE.

I never want to play a fighter (or any classic arcade-type game) using a regular controller again![/quote]

that my friend is barely modding it lmao. That's just like wasting your money if you're only doing those 2 right there. You really made me laugh showing me how to change the knob and the stick washer. Modding include replacing the buttons themselves and the delay pad. Hori EX 2 doesn't use the unplugable connectors you'll have to solder and stuff to those stuffs in. In MoonLK's link is how you really mod a EX 2.
Here is a fighter's guideline to these sticks:
If you're not going to mod EX2 is a better stick to have because it's usually cheaper.
If you want real sanwa stick/buttons/delay board get the SF4 SE stick because it has plug connectors for easy replacement.

Do you basically have to hit all three punch buttons together on that stick? I don't see a button there that you can designate as that.

[quote name='ezellaur']Do you basically have to hit all three punch buttons together on that stick? I don't see a button there that you can designate as that.[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='PhrostByte']LOL[/quote]
As helpful as that was, would you happen to also know the answer to my question or no?

[quote name='ezellaur']As helpful as that was, would you happen to also know the answer to my question or no?[/quote]

Yeah.. you have to hit 3 buttons at once.. it's not exactly the hardest thing in the world.

[quote name='craigbezzle']If you're going to buy a Hori and mod it, you may as well just build a custom stick.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

The mods I showed are to make the Hori Stick a little more usable for light/medium usage.

The other link that Moonlk posted about is more of an Extreme mod, more for people with HEAVY usage.

And craigbezzle is right, if you are going to buy an Hori Stick, and mod it to that much of an Extreme... Why even buy one? You really should be making one at that point.

[quote name='blowmefer']Exactly!

The mods I showed are to make the Hori Stick a little more usable for light/medium usage.

The other link that Moonlk posted about is more of an Extreme mod, more for people with HEAVY usage.

And craigbezzle is right, if you are going to buy an Hori Stick, and mod it to that much of an Extreme... Why even buy one? You really should be making one at that point.[/quote]

A lot of people like the size of the ex2 but they want arcade quality parts in it, several several people have done so. Not everyone who wants a high quality stick has the tools or skills to make their own box.

Again, it only seems like an extreme mod because its fairly difficult to do with this stick. If you go for one of the madcatz sticks, its simply a matter of removing some screws, unplugging some wires and putting in the new parts.

I saw this the other day too. Am I the only one with an issue with these sticks cause theres never a comfortable place to put em? I got a saulabi from korea for my ps2 and never use it because I never had anything good to place it on. Always tempted to build a stand so it felt like the arcade but never did.

[quote name='fairtrade']Aren't you better off with a d-pad for Pac-Man than an 8-way stick?[/quote]

Have you ever used the d-pad on a 360 controller?

I've used sticks for almost all XBLA games that were originally in arcades... with the exception of ones that require dual sticks (ie, Robotron).

They play like a dream.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']Have you ever used the d-pad on a 360 controller?

I've used sticks for almost all XBLA games that were originally in arcades... with the exception of ones that require dual sticks (ie, Robotron).

They play like a dream.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I've got the DOA Hori stick, and it makes playing games like Frogger infinitely more accurate than trying to use the 360 controller.

[quote name='tankass']I saw this the other day too. Am I the only one with an issue with these sticks cause theres never a comfortable place to put em? I got a saulabi from korea for my ps2 and never use it because I never had anything good to place it on. Always tempted to build a stand so it felt like the arcade but never did.[/QUOTE]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Enternal/oldroom.jpg

This is my room from years ago when my child nerd powers were at its fullest. My hot rod which I have since modded for 360 is by that tv like object. (Back then tv's were big and bulky and you couldn't hang them on walls) Anyways, I have a candy arcade cabinet more or less like a regular arcade, just about a foot shorter so you can sit at them with a chair instead of a stool. The candy arcade cabinet had a piece of wood underneath to make it full size, I turned it up on it's side and used it for my hot rod and it worked perfectly. I will pick up a hori on Friday and will mod it. For me it's cheap to do, I was given that arcade cabinet and a lot of happ and non happ arcade parts.

Says they have them in stock in a couple stores by me, but I'll wait for my SE pre-order.

To say these are better then the SE Madcatz stick is bullshit, and also can't be modded as easily.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']Have you ever used the d-pad on a 360 controller?[/quote]

Y'know come to think of it I don't think I have. I always had the Hori for any games that used the d-pad. But Pac-Man Vs. is a 4-way game so it seemed academic that an 8-way stick wouldn't be the best option. Maybe not.

[quote name='Import']Says they have them in stock in a couple stores by me, but I'll wait for my SE pre-order.

To say these are better then the SE Madcatz stick is bullshit, and also can't be modded as easily.[/QUOTE]

I have all 3, SE, TE and EX2

yes true EX2 is pain to mod. but it is better than the SE madcatz (if you are refering to the standard street fighter madcatz stick, not TE). the EX2 button has a better feel and more responsive than the SE.

Looks like I am going to make a trip to TRU. Thanks OP for the heads up! Recent Ebay/Amazon prices have been sodomy with no vasoline. People have the nerve to be charging $60-$120 for the FIGHT PADS!

I do not mind pay $60 for a stick. Not to mention I do not plan on modding anything.

bread's done
Back