Horrible FYE experience.

PhiLeingFunkie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
They have been having these coupons at the counter that reads "20% EXTRA ON ALL TRADE INS WITH COUPON" So on march 1st (when the coupon started effect) I took 12 dvds into my local FYE at 11am. I asked if it was a good time to do trade ins and 1 of the 2 employees working said "We dont offer any cash." I said im looking for store credit and he responds "ok, we only accept 5 dvd's a day."

Fine by me. First thing I did, I handed him the coupon. He rang up the dvd's I gave him and said that I would have 16.74 on my gift card. I told him that I had the coupon for the extra 20% and he handed me the coupon back and said "Here, I already gave you an extra 25%" as if doing me a favor. I told him that the 25% was me accepting store credit and that I would like the 20% stacked and he denied.

I gave up and decided to take the rest of my dvds to the next FYE which is about 15 miles from my house. As soon as I walked in the lady proclaims "No trade ins."

Im more frustrated than anything through the whole experience. I REALLY hope this is only my area FYE as I have had good experiences with them before.

I have decided to take my dvds to Wherehouse.com instead now.

The same Wherehouse.com that is owned by Trans World Entertainment who also owns FYE?

Sorry to hear that, however I have never had any issue trading in a my local FYE the only thing that has ever happened is they wont take a DVD because the store has to many.

I realize they are one, but their prices (especially used) are much better than FYE b&m stores. I chose FYE because it was local for me and I didn't have to go through the shipping process. Their blu rays go for nearly the MSRP which is hard for me being an online shopper and being used to the cheaper prices.

I went in an FYE the other night to do it, it was around 9pm. Maybe its a little late, but it doesn't take long to do trade ins and frankly its part of their job. Anyway, they turned me down because it was too late, so I went upstairs to Saturday Night Matinee (Transworld owned) and they told me they don't do trade ins on weekends. Clearly one or both of the store's employees feel some sort of entitlement and felt as if they didn't have to do trade ins though they clearly were accepting them.

I came back the next day to do some trade ins at the FYE, and they tell me they can only take movies they don't have in stock and are worth a certain amount. Fine, I'm not going back empty handed, I got enough for an over priced blu ray so I was at least happy with that.

So I ended up going to a different FYE a day or so later which took the rest of my movies no questions asked. Is this wildly different customer service really that commonplace with this company? I long ago decided I would do my best to stay away from their stores because their prices are really terrible, and all my experiences a few days ago really just reminded me why I'm probably never going back there after this.

This was an isolated experience for me. I have traded with them recently; as little as a month ago, and the transaction was more than satisfactory. The only thing going for FYE and trade ins is the convenience of walking in and out with instant store credit, but after today I am just going to rely on the internet.

I did get bioshock for 20 bucks so thats something FYE could be worth in the future, a random unannounced (widely announced on here of course) sales.

FYE sucks - pretty much all there is to it. Besides random once in a while sales like Bioshock for $20 and a few rebates - no reason to go in there

Only reason I went in there was to trade a bunch of stuff--of course, the fact that i got decent trade credit (plus brown bag bonus) was balanced by the fact that most of their regular prices were rapacious. I managed to get Full Metal Panic Fumoffu for 20 bucks, and a couple of Xbox Live things for 50% off, so that helped.
My bad experience was actually with FYE.com. I was going to use some of my store credit on an order when they had TV on DVD on sale a few weeks back. First the webform wouldn't take gift cards. Then they got that fixed, then with no notice cancelled my order the last evening of the sale. I wrote back complaining, and they said "Reorder it at full price, and we'll adjust it." First, I didn't have that much store credit, and second, um, no. Plus it was real tough paying sales tax *and* shipping on most orders.

^^ Especially with them lowering trade in prices. I miss the days of going into EB, picking up a new copy of Malice for $4.99 and 5 minutes later I am at FYE getting $21 cash for it.

My local FYE's also have stupid rules about trades. No trades on weekends, only 12 - 5 p.m. trades are accepted during the week etc.

Not that it matters since the values aren't that great (based on Wherehouse.com) and my 2 local FYE stores no longer sell games.

i've only traded into fye recently (brown bag promo), but i must say my experience was fine. in and out rather quick. the second time the cs forgot to apply the 20%, but i just reminded her and she did it no questions. i've never shopped there and noticed their prices suck, but after rebate and backstage pass, some prices don't look that bad. i preorded no country on blu-ray for $16.xx maybe even $13.xx if i get the option for the extra $3 for taking a gift card instead of check.

i got turned down the first time i went in because they were "too busy" (the clerks were just standing around) and was told to come back the next day. then when i did they guy at the desk was hesitant to take my blu rays that i got in the ps3 promo because he thought they were stolen. he eventually took them but i should have been in an out the day before and not forced to come back another day due to how "busy" they were.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']My local FYE's also have stupid rules about trades. No trades on weekends, only 12 - 5 p.m. trades are accepted during the week etc.[/quote]

[quote name='silentspork']I went in an FYE the other night to do it, it was around 9pm. Maybe its a little late, but it doesn't take long to do trade ins and frankly its part of their job. Anyway, they turned me down because it was too late, so I went upstairs to Saturday Night Matinee (Transworld owned) and they told me they don't do trade ins on weekends. Clearly one or both of the store's employees feel some sort of entitlement and felt as if they didn't have to do trade ins though they clearly were accepting them.[/quote]

I'm thinking these instances may have more to do with local pawn shop laws than anything else, especially your's YoshiFan. At GS and Blockbuster, I know there are different tiers for trading depending on local law, and those stipulate hours and amounts that can be traded.

Transworld really varies by their companies. Wherehouse & Suncoast seem to be the best for following promotions, FYE is a complete crapshoot. I've got 4 locations in a decent distance from my house, its been a lot better this year for the promotion (some stores even gave 50% bonus since 45 was too "uneven"). Last year, all 4 stores gave different amounts instead of the 45%, with one refusing to abide by the rules altogether.

They didn't fondle you in the backroom??
I figured since you said HORRIBLE experience, something along those lines went down, they just didn't accept a coupon, if I went around bitching about places not accepting coupons I'd be crying until I turned 60...
Get over it...
-Goatman

[quote name='goatindaruffness']They didn't fondle you in the backroom??
I figured since you said HORRIBLE experience, something along those lines went down[/quote]

That would be a whoreable experience.

I've heard the same no trade-ins on weekends crap a thousand times. I just stopped going to FYE and started selling on half.com. Its pointless to be dealing with some of the dumbest employees I've ever met, as well as one of the most unorganized shelved space in a B&M media store I have ever seen. FYE sucks.

I can kinda see having cutoff hours for trades; lots of places, especially service, don't start new things within 1/2 hour of closing (then again, lots do, like restaurants).
I think only 12-5 M-F is insane/stupid, however. I expect weekends to be busier, I would also expect staffing to be better. I could understand "trades come after paying customers", and a limit on items traded in at one time depending on how busy the store is.

Besides them picking and choosing which titles they deem as current or needed, I've had no major problems with them. Which reminds me that I still have store credit there that I need to use.

[quote name='dtcarson']I can kinda see having cutoff hours for trades; lots of places, especially service, don't start new things within 1/2 hour of closing (then again, lots do, like restaurants).
I think only 12-5 M-F is insane/stupid, however. I expect weekends to be busier, I would also expect staffing to be better. I could understand "trades come after paying customers", and a limit on items traded in at one time depending on how busy the store is.[/quote]

I thought that I was the only one who had frustrating run ins with FYE.
Yesterday I went in to trade an Extra HD DVD copy Big Lebowski that I had gotten from the GS sale. (Happy I didn't trade it because today I found out that it's only worth .25, but anyways...) The box had the GS sticker on it, and they said that they don't take in trade-ins from GS? WHAT? Apparently according to the CS rep,
"We don't take any trade ins from other stores..."
My question is then where do people get the stuff that they're trading in? Thin air maybe... That makes absolutely no sense... The other rep standing next to him says "Yeah, because they use a different tagging system then we do, and it's hard to get the stickers off to in order to scan the items...
On top of that, they don't take in trade ins with in an hour of closing time, (Get this...) "BECAUSE IT TAKES TOO LONG TO SCAN THE ITEM, PREP IT, AND THEN PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF!!!"

I had bought Bioshock from them the day before for $20, but I really don't want the game it was a total impulse buy... I really just want my money back, and to be done with FYE totally...

[quote name='dtcarson']I think only 12-5 M-F is insane/stupid, however.[/quote]Ask them if there is some reason they can only do it during this time; I'm guessing it's the law. Stores don't do stupid things like that, because if they are taking trades it's because they think it's profitable, and limiting that limits profits.

i agree with everyone here that FYE is a horrible company.

last summer i bought a 360 there with the trade in credit i accumulated with their previous 45% extra on tradeins

i got home, opened up the 360 only to find that the grey vent on the side of the system was cracked completely , and sticking out. so i got right back in my car and took it over to fye to swap out another one. when i got there the girl behind the counter told me i would have to send it to microsoft , and they could not accept it since i opened it. she repteadly told me she could do nothing, and called her manager, etc and they all said they couldnt do a thing. after i went beserk for about 20 minutes and made a whole scene in the store she finally took it back and gave me my gift card funds back, she also told me to not go to that store again, i told her not to worry that i wouldnt, and also went on to tell the manager how basically i,a nd most of my friends had been ripping the company off by buying enchanted arms for 15 bucks at eb games, and selling it back to fye for close to 40

needless to say a coupel days later, when friends went into to trade more, they would not accept any games

screw this company , i hope they continue to go out of business

i dont trade games or movies so never had those experiences, but the fye/sam goody near me always has lower than gamestop prices on games, so i usually go in there to find stuff like lost planet for $5 or a random 360 game for under 10, customer service though is sucky, they hate being questioned on anything and view gamers as the lowest of lifeforms even though over 50% of the store is the videogame section

[quote name='magnification']I've heard the same no trade-ins on weekends crap a thousand times. I just stopped going to FYE and started selling on half.com. Its pointless to be dealing with some of the dumbest employees I've ever met, as well as one of the most unorganized shelved space in a B&M media store I have ever seen. FYE sucks.[/quote]
QFT

On average, their employees are much worse than Gamestop and Best Buy employees, two sets notorious for outlandishly bad customer service.

Lots of stores have incompetent employees. My worst experiences with FYE has been dealing with the slimy company that takes care of their mail-in rebates. A quick search will get you tons of horror stories about experiences with them.

[quote name='hurley7715']
needless to say a coupel days later, when friends went into to trade more, they would not accept any games

screw this company , i hope they continue to go out of business[/quote]

I was with you up until the return went through. How could you ruin the lick for your friends? You should've just affirmed that you were returning an item that was sold to you in an unacceptable state.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']My local FYE's also have stupid rules about trades. No trades on weekends, only 12 - 5 p.m. trades are accepted during the week etc.[/QUOTE]

WTF? That's ridiculous. How do they expect most of their customers to trade then? I'd be able to get there a half hour before their trading hours end, and break every speed limit in the process, and that's only because I like to get to work early in order to leave work early.

Anyway, I've had mostly good experiences with FYE. I had a nice price adjustment done for the recent $10 off anime deal when the sale price wasn't coming up, and they recently swapped out a single disc from an anime box set I got there half a year ago because I didn't get until the last disc until just recently to find out the last episode didn't work. Long after their 30 days policy, and they still helped me out.

I've been dealing with an issue with FYE since January 20th. I had a $10 giftcard, so I figured I'd grab the $15 copy of Kameo my local store had. I took the box up to check out, and waited...and waited. I stood there for 30 minutes while the girl looked, unsuccessfully, for the disc. After she told me that it was probably stolen, she offered to sell me a new copy...for $60. I politely declined, and left.

Instead, I placed an online order for a DVD...about $13 shipped. 3 weeks go by, I call to ask about it, and they say they can't help until 30 days after the ship date. I call again, fill out a "Lost Shipment" form, and await a refund. A week later, I call and was told the money "failed to transfer" back to my accounts, and that a new giftcard would be e-mailed to me.

So far, I haven't had the money put back on my credit card, or received a new giftcard.

No problems at the two FYEs I've been to (Newark twice & Redwood City, CA). The only minor quibble was from a lady who thought the 20% brown bag promo ended on 2/21 and she made me wait until she went around to other customers (do you need any help?). About 10 min. delay and once I pulled out the brown bag with the 2/28 date on it, she did it w/o further incident.

FYI: if you take the 25% extra for trade, stack 20% on top of that, you get a total of 50% more over the cash price, not 45% (20 + 25%).

[quote name='PRMega']I've been dealing with an issue with FYE since January 20th. I had a $10 giftcard, so I figured I'd grab the $15 copy of Kameo my local store had. I took the box up to check out, and waited...and waited. I stood there for 30 minutes while the girl looked, unsuccessfully, for the disc. After she told me that it was probably stolen, she offered to sell me a new copy...for $60. I politely declined, and left.

Instead, I placed an online order for a DVD...about $13 shipped. 3 weeks go by, I call to ask about it, and they say they can't help until 30 days after the ship date. I call again, fill out a "Lost Shipment" form, and await a refund. A week later, I call and was told the money "failed to transfer" back to my accounts, and that a new giftcard would be e-mailed to me.

So far, I haven't had the money put back on my credit card, or received a new giftcard.[/QUOTE]
File a claim with your CC company if they don't get off their asses.

[quote name='DerangedHermit']File a claim with your CC company if they don't get off their asses.[/quote]

Ive filed a CC complaint against an FYE store. They told me id get a rebate, even though form was expired and i told them so - but they insisted. Figured I wouldn't get it and it was rejected. Charged back the amount of rebate and FYE never responded to the complaint so i got the $20 back.

bread's done
Back