Horror Genre Games

cannibalgirl

CAGiversary!
Is it just me or is the horror genre of games not as scary as it should be? I miss the games where I would nearly piss myself because of the pop out scenes or just the games that got under your skin and in your head.

One of the really good horror games that didn't get what it deserved was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem , the sanity meter and the tricks it would play on you were crazy and would really screw with you.

Of course there is the other good horror games like Resident Evils, which are not as scary as they once were and have somehow turned to mainly a shooter game, still very fun though. There is also the Silent Hills, which also seem to not be as creepy as they once were. There are the somewhat newer games such as F.E.A.R., Dead Rising and Alone in the Dark, but I feel there just is not enough horror/survival games that are good. Bring out the shotgun and give me some horror, damn it!

You could give Dead Space a try.

But I get what you're saying. There's less psychological horror out there now. It's unfortunate, but it's really not where the market is right now.

If you have a PS3, you may want to consider Siren (the new one downloadable off the PSN). I haven't heard much about it, but it's as close as you're going to get to what you're describing in the current gen. And don't discount the ol' PS2. That thing has a plethora of survival horror games... Haunting Ground, Obscure, RECVX, Fatal Frame series...

Last edited by a moderator:
the Fatal Frame series is the only one that legitimately creeped me out.

Resident Evil has always been too cheesy to be scary, imo.

The re-done Resident Evil for GC creeped me out just because if you had played the original you were expecting things, but they changed it so they could still scare you or at least get you to jump.

Fatal Frame is another good one, it was creepy and it messed with your head. I like movies and games like that and sadly both are lacking right now!

Maybe I'm an easy scare, but I think Dead Space is about as good as it gets as far as creating fear. I know the stuff is coming, but the soundtrack (I personally think the Dead Space soundtrack rivals The Shining's great soundtrack) and the dark atmosphere does a great job of building up tension and setting you up for the next scare. If I let my guard down, that's when I'll get scared the most.

I totally agree with you on Resident Evil. I love the games, but since the GC remake, they've moved away from horror and and making it more of an action game. It's still a great franchise though.

Dead Space is awful for scares, it wants to scare you with things that make you jump.

Fatal Frame is much creepier,but I have no idea if nintendo has any intent to bring FF4 over here to us starving wii gamers.

Dead Space is probably the scariest game I've ever played. It's the first game that's actually had me jumping quite a bit since Resident Evil GC.

I third dead space, its not so much the monsters or the jump factor, the environments, music and art direction just make you feel uncomfortable and alone.... perfect for a survival horror game in space.

there was a game i picked up at gamestop call of cthulhu for the oringal xbox that uses a sanity meter like eternal darknes, i honestly havent tried it yet, but that might be something to look into. Also ive heard good things about 'the thing' but i havent tried that either.
Nothing really current gen but at least you can find this dirt cheap :)

enjoy

[quote name='ninja dog']the Fatal Frame series is the only one that legitimately creeped me out.

Resident Evil has always been too cheesy to be scary, imo.[/quote]

I second the Fatal Frames.

If you are in a dark room and have a great headset Condemned is a pretty spooky game

I wish I hadn't lost my disc so I could keep playing through it with my new monitor and headset :/

How come part 2 isn't on PC yet?

Survival Horror supposedly died becoz nobody wanted to play Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose.

instead, they whined about the death of a genre since they didnt want to play what the genre offered them

[quote name='JEKKI']Survival Horror supposedly died becoz nobody wanted to play Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose.

instead, they whined about the death of a genre since they didnt want to play what the genre offered them[/quote]

I own both. :D I have most of the Survival Horrror selection of last generation.

[quote name='JEKKI']Survival Horror supposedly died becoz nobody wanted to play Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose.

instead, they whined about the death of a genre since they didnt want to play what the genre offered them[/quote]

I played them, and they sucked.
I want the genre to make something innovate.

I am such a fan of Call of Cthulu. Also the Silent Hill series. I am one of the few who really liked 4 I bet. Man, those ghosts just freaked me out. I really need to import Siren so I can share it with my family.

Damn, I forget about Rule of Rose. Something to look for! I wasn't too interested in Haunting Ground, though it had interesting character designs.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I played them, and they sucked.
I want the genre to make something innovate.[/quote]

I haven't played Rule of Rose, but I did play Haunting Ground. I don't really see how you can argue it didn't innovate. In the game, you're literally helpless and the point is to flee/explore... and there are multiple ways to do each puzzle. You can build your relationship with Hewie (and even spoil him) and it will actually affect how he responds to your commands. I hadn't really seen anything like it at the time.

There's that and when Fiona freaks out because her "invisible fear meter" (I guess akin to Eternal Darkness' sanity meter) gets too high. No health bar. It gets frantic like survival horror should.

The only reason I could see a survival horror enthusiast to not at least appreciate these things is due to the sexualization of the main character.

Dead Space was startling, not scary. Of course you're going to jump if suddenly there's a loud noise out of nowhere, but at no point was I actually scared for my own safety. OK, maybe when
that regenerating monster is chasing you through all those sliding crates. But that was just Nemesis in space.

Nothing will top the original Silent Hill for me.

The latest good survival horror game I've played is Obscure II, on the Wii.

Yeah, it's more like a teen horror flick like The Faculty, but it's got good stuff going on.

[quote name='metaly']Nothing will top the original Silent Hill for me.[/quote]

Yeah I do love that, even if I can pretty much play it in my sleep now. Also SH2's UFO ending is a great callback.

[quote name='B:L']Ever play Clock Tower?[/quote]

Sadly, no. Maybe I'll give it a try some day. The games where something constantly chases you really freak me out, so you may be onto something.

[quote name='chimpian']I third dead space, its not so much the monsters or the jump factor, the environments, music and art direction just make you feel uncomfortable and alone.... perfect for a survival horror game in space.

there was a game i picked up at gamestop call of cthulhu for the oringal xbox that uses a sanity meter like eternal darknes, i honestly havent tried it yet, but that might be something to look into. Also ive heard good things about 'the thing' but i havent tried that either.
Nothing really current gen but at least you can find this dirt cheap :)

enjoy[/quote]

Call of Cthulhu was the scariest game I played so far. Its also pretty hard too.

I enjoyed the 'Thing' but the scares wear off quickly after the beginning of the game. You sort of get used to people turning into the thing.

Another game I like to throw out is an old PC game called Undying which was scary paticularly the first half. Also I have to give props to Doom 3 for being scary at times.

Call of Cthulhu was fucking beastly.
Although the first Silent Hill was probably the best out of games I played in the last 10 years when it comes to horror.

If we're doing horror broadly and not just survival horror, I'd like to issue a nod to Clive Barker's Undying. I only played it for like an hour, but it seemed pretty cool.

Silent Hill Homecoming had a couple of good scares. I know it kind of gets a bad rep but sadly it's still the scariest game I've played this gen.

[quote name='B:L']The latest good survival horror game I've played is Obscure II, on the Wii.

Yeah, it's more like a teen horror flick like The Faculty, but it's got good stuff going on.[/QUOTE]

If you liked the second one, I highly recommend finding the first one and playing it as well. It's a bit more open ended in who you can choose for your team, but the teen horror spirit is definitely present in that game as well. Of course, the story might be somewhat spoiled since the second one explains a lot of what happened in the first. It was released for the PS2, PC, and original Xbox though, so tracking down a copy could be hard depending on what system you'd prefer to play it on.

fatal frame is probably the creepiest game I've ever played. I know what you mean by the games not being as scary as before. The first 3 RE games were the best, the new ones eh not so much.

[quote name='B:L']Ever play Clock Tower?[/quote]Whenever I think of Clock Tower, I always associate that with Hunter Hunted... why, I can't for the life of me remember.

[quote name='cannibalgirl']I would nearly piss myself[/quote]cannibal you may be, but what girl says that? :rofl:

you should really try out Dead Space. Haven't had a game scare me like that for awhile. But RE5 right around the corner too, so maybe it can bring back the scary for you there.

That Hudson game? Does it look like a remake of "Team Innocent" off the PC-FX? That game looked fucking great from the screen shots I saw. I still need to play it.
Oh and look at the original Clock Tower for the SFC, really fucked up. I will admit I quite like Clock Tower 3, it had some really dark moments even though it had nothing to do with the original series.

bread's done
Back