Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

PR Mega X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hey all. With Halloween quickly approaching, I'm trying to get into the spirit by watching some horror movies. I know there was a thread like this last year, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I've got Netflix Instant this time around, so I'm looking to find out what other CAGs are watching to scare themselves shitless :D

So far, I've watched Dead Alive, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Let Me In. I'm saving the Nightmare on Elm Street flicks for my party next weekend, and I've got both Waxworks movies in queue. What other essentials am I missing?

the thing(1982) still holds up imo. There's hatchet a really fun slasher and trick r treat which captures the spirit of Halloween really well. I'm pretty sure all three are on netflix.

Halloween
Saw
The Blob
Trick R Treat
Hellraiser
Demonic Toys
People Under the Stairs
Puppet Master
Shocker
Silent Night Deadly Night
Poltergeist
Exorcist
The Omen
Pet Sematary

Trick Are Treat.

Poltergiest......scarred me as q kid and I have yet to rewatch it since I still have nightmares about that movie and I'm 27. Also, Pet Cemetery.

Finished up my night with 'American Werewolf in London' and 'Hatchet'. 'Trick r Treat' is definitely on the list -- I've got the DVD, so I'll be bringing it to work on Monday. I'll be picking some more movies from this thread tomorrow -- keep the suggestions coming! :)

Feast is pretty entertaining.

As is Freddy Vs Jason if you haven't seen that for some reason.

Also Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.

The 1982 version of The Thing is the best horror movie ever made. That's what you should watch (It's on Netflix).

Netflix also has the original Let the Right One In, The Fly, The Exorcist, In the Mouth of Madness, House of the Devil and Videodrome.

I also have to give a special mention to Troll 2, since I noticed that's on Netflix Instant as well. That movie is goddamn hilarious. Don't worry if you haven't seen Troll 1, since they have nothing to do with each other.

The Descent
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
30 Days of Night
Dead Snow
High Tension
Silent Hill

Don't know if any of those are on Netflix or not..

This is difficult because I have seen so many and love most anything horror but might I suggest:

The Haunting - The Black and white one, the new one is shit

Phantasm - These are pretty out there but at least the first two are entertaining.

George Romero's Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead. Zack Synder's Dawn of the Dead wasn't all that bad either.

Dagon - Underrated awesome movie, the best of the Lovecraftian films I have seen besides the one below, though it has little to do with the story of the same name.

The Reanimator - If you liked Dead Alive you should love this.

Near Dark - If you liked Aliens, you'll get a kick out of the cast.

Pumpkinhead - I don't know I just always liked that one.

Prince of Darkness - It's not the best Carpenter movie but I always liked it. It gets points for having Alice Cooper and deadly mouthwash that shoots out of the ceiling.

I tried to list at least a few that most people would not mention. By the way, I noticed you listed Evil Dead 1 and 2 but not Army of Darkness. I think you probably have seen it but just in case know that movie is Evil Dead 3. They just titled it differently. It's a bit more comical than scary but Bruce Campbell makes it worth watching.

Edit: The guy above me mentioned The Descent, I have to agree. One of the best horror films made in recent years.

There was a thread like this one last year. On it someone introduced me to Marble Hornets on youtube.

So I feel I have to return the favor and recommend it this year. It's a pretty good indie series on youtube. The first 26 entrys encompass "season 1" and clocks in at roughly the same legnth as a slasher film. I suggest checking it out.

Movie wise I 2nd "Trick r Treat" and i'd avoid all of whoknows' picks and go for the far superior originals. Avoid the 4th-rate shlock that the sequals produced. Also avoid the new "The Thing" unless you never saw the first (much better film).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']
Movie wise I 2nd "Trick r Treat" and i'd avoid all of whoknows' picks and go for the far superior originals. Avoid the 4th-rate shlock that the sequals produced. Also avoid the new "The Thing" unless you never saw the first (much better film).[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the new The Thing or are you just talking out of your ass? I'm going to go with you haven't seen it since you're in the delusional camp of the original is a classic 10/10 movie and anything newer is garbage. Also the 1982 The Thing can be counted as a remake, but since it's old, and not current, it's a masterpiece, right?

EDIT: And for the record, Ebert gave both the 1982 The Thing and the prequel the same 2 1/2 out of 5 score.

[quote name='whoknows']Have you seen the new The Thing or are you just talking out of your ass? I'm going to go with you haven't seen it since you're in the delusional camp of the original is a classic 10/10 movie and anything newer is garbage. Also the 1982 The Thing can be counted as a remake, but since it's old, and not current, it's a masterpiece, right?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet and I am interested. I may go to the theater tomorrow and check it out. I tend to like anything horror whether it's a remake or not. Some of them are better than others though.

At the same time, I can see his trepidation in wanting to recommend it based on A: The fact that the original is so damned good. It's pretty high up on the list of best horror films ever made (I don't think it wins though, but that is another discussion)

EDIT: Nevermind I can't read

Ravenous
The Crazies (remake)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Haunted Palace
The Dunwich Horror
The Legend of Hell House (the biting and scratching 8D )
Night of the Comet

[quote name='whoknows']Have you seen the new The Thing or are you just talking out of your ass? I'm going to go with you haven't seen it since you're in the delusional camp of the original is a classic 10/10 movie and anything newer is garbage. Also the 1982 The Thing can be counted as a remake, but since it's old, and not current, it's a masterpiece, right?

EDIT: And for the record, Ebert gave both the 1982 The Thing and the prequel the same 2 1/2 out of 5 score.[/QUOTE]

The original is a classic 10/10 movie. I'm not gonna say newer horror movies are garbage, because they're not, but the new prequel, while good, is not even on the same level.

Also, have you seen the original The Thing from Another World? Because I have, and it sucks balls. It really does. The 1982 remake was considerably more faithful to the original short story and is better in every way.

Lastly, Ebert rates on a 4 star scale.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The original is a classic 10/10 movie. I'm not gonna say newer horror movies are garbage, because they're not, but the new prequel, while good, is not even on the same level.

Also, have you seen the original The Thing from Another World? Because I have, and it sucks balls. It really does. The 1982 remake was considerably more faithful to the original short story and is better in every way.

Lastly, Ebert rates on a 4 star scale.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a 10/10 movie personally, but it is a great movie. The prequel had a slightly different take which I liked. If it was the exact same thing it would have been boring to watch.

Yes I've seen the 1951 movie, and no I didn't really like it.

And regardless of the scale, he gave the same score to both movies.

I just have a problem with the ignorance shown towards remakes. Especially when a lot of the originals just don't really hold up nowadays. Something scary 30 years ago may not be scary now.

I honestly have a lot to say on the original/remake thing, but I'm not going to so the thread doesn't go off topic.

I forget what site it was but, they really dove deeper into The Thing and it made me love the movie even more considering you don't know if either of the two actors are infected. I need to dig that site up now because that site made my 6/10 for The Thing into a 10/10.

What about Psycho, The Shining, Dead Alive, Chucky, and of course IT?

[quote name='iRobotZombie']Drag me to Hell

Carrying on the disturbing comic horror style that Sam Raimi loves.[/QUOTE]

Disturbing is correct and this movie is pretty fun so I'll second it. If you're a true fan of Sam Raimi you shalln't be disappoint.

Dig up The Changeling the one from the 1980s, one of my favorites.

Also if you don't mind subtitles there are a lot of decent spanish/asian horror movies on Netflix Instant.

One of my favorite types of horror movies are the people being attacked at home thing, so if anyone likes those...

Them
Funny Games
Eden Lake
The Strangers

[quote name='Vulcan2422']What about Psycho, The Shining, Dead Alive, Chucky, and of course IT?[/QUOTE]

Here we go, nice suggestions.

Alien
Scream

anything twilight zone... movie is great.... the frightners, event horizon is one of the most disturbing movies, the nightbreed, lord of illusions, gremlins is good from now till christmas, romero zombie movies... priest, planet terror, the shining, flatliners, puppet master... of course sleepy hollow

Insidious is good for jump-scares. Want to sit back and laugh while someone chokes on their drink, get that.

The new Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead as well as 28 Days Later & Zombieland.

Highly recommended from me as well. Good ole Zombies.

I'm impressed at the level of the suggestions here... a lot of good taste, CAGs!

I'll add (all on Instant):
- Suspiria (play it loud...)
- Inferno (not as good but cool sequel to Suspiria)
- Deep Red
- Night of the Living Dead (the original)
- Return of the Living Dead
- Cronos (Guillermo Del Toro!)
- They Live

On disc only:
- Zombie (Fulci)
- The Beyond

Hellrasier is a good show (well the first 2) they could of made them better but took a bad turn after part 3..

There is a new one coming tuesday

hellraiser Revelations Though i doubt its any good.

wrong turn okay

I miss the good old days of puppet master ...

[quote name='gorgo']I'm impressed at the level of the suggestions here... a lot of good taste, CAGs!

I'll add (all on Instant):
- Suspiria (play it loud...)[/QUOTE]

As highly as I recommend Suspiria, it's not on Instant.

I first want to say nice on watching the Evil Dead movies, some of my all time favorites. Since you watched the first two, you need to watch Army of Darkness next of course! I'm really into horror movies as well, so I'll throw some out there even if they've been mentioned already

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Best zombie movie ever made.
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - Second best.
Return of the Living Dead - Watch this if you want a really fun and silly zombie movie.
Halloween (1978) - DUH!
Friday the 13th (1980) - The first 2 are great but they get a little ridiculous starting with 3.
Hatchet - Cool slasher movie while not taking itself seriously at all.
Monster Squad - Fun movie for the family!
The Thing (1982) - Fantastic physical and mental horror movie.
The Haunting (1963) - If you like haunted house movies, definitely check this out. It actually is pretty freaky but you don't really see anything, which makes it even freakier to me. The problem with Hollywood today is they rely solely on visuals, but this movie is scarier than anything new because of the excellent filmmaking, editing and more importantly, the sound mixing.
Amityville Horror (1979) - Same as above but a bit more modern.

Looking at what I listed, I must say I'm kind of surprised at the amount of horror movie remakes that studios shit out. This goes without saying, but avoid remakes to any of these films at all costs except Dawn of the Dead, that was decent but the original is far superior.

[quote name='whoknows']Also 1408. Probably the only two movies based of Stephen King stories I liked.[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of the Shawshank Redemption? Or Misery?

And since this is off-topic, Dawn of the Dead (The original of course), is the best zombie movie ever made.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Not a fan of the Shawshank Redemption? Or Misery?

And since this is off-topic, Dawn of the Dead (The original of course), is the best zombie movie ever made.[/QUOTE]

Forgot about those two actually. Love Shawshank and now that you mention it I'm sure Misery is good, I just haven't seen it in forever. I need to put a rewatch on my to do list.

And I agree about Dawn of the Dead, I prefer it to Night as well. Ken Foree is just too cool.

EDIT: And it's funny, I absolutely hated the Dawn of The Daed remake yet that's one remake everyone seems to think is okay :lol:

I always try to spend 1 day every October going through the original Universal classic library. Some of the sequels get a little tedious, like all franchises, but you can't go wrong with:

Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
The Wolfman
Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Mummy

and for a little more light-hearted of a romp:

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein

Flipping through my netflix rental history (lost access to my instant watch list so this is just from the disc list) I'll list out some unconventional choices.

Return of the Living Dead - 80's zombie horror and comedy

Tremors - another horror comedy from the 80s

Night of the Creeps - more horror comedy

C.H.U.D. - Mutated homeless people, Daniel Stern, and John Goodman, need I say more?

Dead Meat - Zombie cows, need I say more?

Black Sheep - Zombie sheep, need I say more?

High Tension - 95% tense goodness, +5% crap ending

Masters of Horror: Deer Woman / Screwfly Solution

Galaxy of Terror - Cameron's trial run of the movie Aliens on Roger Corman's dime.

The Signal

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

Below - Ghost story on a submarine during WW2

Black Christmas (original) - North American precursor to Carpenter's Halloween

Bubba Ho-tep - Bruce Campbell as Elvis, fighting a mummy, need I say more?

Henry: Portrait of the Serial Killer

[quote name='guardian_owl']Bubba Ho-tep - Bruce Campbell as Elvis, fighting a mummy, need I say more?[/QUOTE]

You could mention that that movie is horrible. I laughed once. In a movie with Bruce Campbell. Sad.

So many different opinions on Bubba Ho-Tep. I love a black JFK and thought the movie was funny. I cant wait for the sequel. Surprised nobody mentioned Critters or Killer Clowns From Cyberspace or the best movie ever......ERNEST SCARED STUPID!! I watch it every Halloween.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for some ideas.

As for an idea IT was good but I can not watch it. I have seen it once and that movie freaks me out and I don't know why. insidious is good as long as you don't watch the last 10 or 20 minutes.

Some excellent suggestions, thanks guys :applause:

Having some friends over to watch movies and get drunk this weekend, so this list is a huge help! Anything with clowns is a no-go while my girlfriend is around -- Killer Clowns from Outer Space scarred the poor bitch to the point of night terrors. Everything else is fair game!

[quote name='PR Mega X']Some excellent suggestions, thanks guys :applause:

Having some friends over to watch movies and get drunk this weekend, so this list is a huge help! Anything with clowns is a no-go while my girlfriend is around -- Killer Clowns from Outer Space scarred the poor bitch to the point of night terrors. Everything else is fair game![/QUOTE]

Imagine Pennywise from IT! She might have a heart attack! Lol.

I can't talk because I watched Poltergiest at 14 and still have horrific night terrors at 27.

bread's done
Back