Horror remakes that could work

lokizz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
with all the debate over rob zombies version of halloween im curious to know which if any horror films many of you would think should be remade or if done could be successfuly remade. i know alot of people here who grew up on some of the classics might not feel that they could ever be redone but if you could or would remake one what film or films would you think could be successfully remade?

as i stated in the halloween thread im up for seeing Something Wicked This way Comes remade. maybe as a kind psuedo sequel to the original film or as a complete sequel set in present days. alot of the themes in the film ( regrets, desires) easily hold up in this day and age and itd be cool to see a film set in a small town setting although maybe it could be done at a coney island kind of place.

and joaquin phoenix would make an awesome mr dark hes got the right look and attitude to pull it off im just not sure if the kids roles should have kids of the same age or if you should go for using teenagers.

id also like to see Day of the Dead remade using George Romeros original script for the film but again im not sure if you should try to do it and set it in the 70s or 80s or maybe set it after the dawn remake in the present day.

i also think you could remake The Stuff but change the stuff into something more contemporary like vitamin water or some kind of diet medicine or sugar substitute.

I'd love to see a remake of Santa Claus Vs. The Martians; it is without any doubt the finest horror movie ever made.

[quote name='Bezerker']They need to re-make The Evil Dead 1, 2 & Army Of Darkness.[/quote]
flame bait
n. [common] A posting intended to trigger a flame war, or one that invites flames in reply. See also troll.

Flamebait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the troll often has no real interest in.

;)

[quote name='Bezerker']They need to re-make The Evil Dead 1, 2 & Army Of Darkness.[/quote]
I'd like to see this post remade.

The correct answer to your question OP is They Live. Seeing that treated seriously with a big budget would be awesome. And although Roddy Piper couldnt be the lead in it, perhaps he could be wise mentor to the main character ... kinda like Kris Kristofferson in Blade.

[quote name='Short Round']I'd love to see a remake of Santa Claus Vs. The Martians; it is without any doubt the finest horror movie ever made.[/QUOTE]

Close.. but I gotta say Plan 9 from Outer Space takes that title.

[quote name='Maklershed']I'd like to see this post remade.

The correct answer to your question OP is They Live. Seeing that treated seriously with a big budget would be awesome. And although Roddy Piper couldnt be the lead in it, perhaps he could be wise mentor to the main character ... kinda like Kris Kristofferson in Blade.[/quote]

yeah that would be good for a remake. its one of those films that lends itself well to the present day atmosphere. the way people go on and on about ipods and what not and all the crazy shit people do . maybe make those watch communicators/telporters into iphones. not everyone can afford them so itd make sense for them to be more than what they seem to be. id make the aliens look diff though. actually piper could play the guy who popped in and out of the tv broadcasts telling people and warning them about what was going on.

The correct answer to your question OP is They Live. Seeing that treated seriously with a big budget would be awesome. And although Roddy Piper couldnt be the lead in it, perhaps he could be wise mentor to the main character ... kinda like Kris Kristofferson in Blade.[/QUOTE]

Seeing it treated seriously would ruin the movie. Seriously.

Debbie does Dallas-Return of the Clap"

I still think Rob Zombie should have made something new and fresh and not a remake because with a Halloween movie he is not going to get away with straying to far from the originals without it getting ravaged by reviews and fans of the Original run...

They already are remaking Evil Dead, http://imdb.com/title/tt0434020/

For me a horror remake I don't know I was very happy when the 'remade' Dawn of the Dead but something else I would have to say They Live but it would have to be done right and not ruined.

Modern Hollywood Remake: Take classic, successful film from the past. Replace anyone older than age 30 in original film with someone aged 19 in new version.

Replace plot with lots of beauty shots of 19 year old cast.

Up the gore by 1000, make sure everyone is pretty, even when being mutilated.

Make sure every 10 minutes a new hip song is played to promote sales of Soundtrack CD.

Replace generic location shots with shots containing lots of billboards for SPRITE, RED BULL, and SMIRNOFF.

If they HAVE to remake movies, remake ones that didn't live up to their potential back in the day. Take a b-movie like Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, and remake THAT one. Don't take a classic horror movie and re-make it just because it worked 20 or 30 years ago as an original film.

Dawn of the Dead was, IMHO, an exception.....I dont like it 1/10th as much as the original (fast moving zombies? but they're DEAD...!?)...but it wasn't terrible. In fact I can't watch that movie now without saying "this isn't Dawn of the Dead, its the DEAD RISING movie".

I'd like to see a hard R remake of IT not some made from tv version. It would have to be two movies because that shit is so damn long.

Not really a remake, but a good Frankenstein movie and a good Werewolf movie would be really great as long as they don't make them all about the special effects.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I'd like to see a hard R remake of IT not some made from tv version. It would have to be two movies because that shit is so damn long.[/quote]

The television movie scarred me. Seriously. I saw it when I was like 8 or 9 and even now, deep in the dark recesses of my mind, Pennywise the Dancing Clown, otherwise known as Bob Gray, is wiating for me in the sewers.

Supposedly New Line Cinema is waiting to see how well Halloween does to give the thumbs up for a Friday the 13th remake. If it does get made, I'm betting they'll put Jason in it instead of his mother being the killer.

[quote name='Zen Davis']The television movie scarred me. Seriously. I saw it when I was like 8 or 9 and even now, deep in the dark recesses of my mind, Pennywise the Dancing Clown, otherwise known as Bob Gray, is wiating for me in the sewers.[/quote]

fuckin tim curry man one of the worlds best character actors. he made that role nobody else could have done it justice.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']
Not really a remake, but a good Frankenstein movie and a good Werewolf movie would be really great as long as they don't make them all about the special effects.[/quote]

But there are good Frankenstein's monster and Wolfman movies. No one can replace Karloff and Chaney Jr. (still one of the best transformation scenes of all-time)

[quote name='fart_bubble']But there are good Frankenstein's monster and Wolfman movies. No one can replace Karloff and Chaney Jr. (still one of the best transformation scenes of all-time)[/QUOTE]

yea i know that, but i am talking about putting a modern feel to the movie, nothing like hip hop chipmunks, or even over the top special effects, but something that reflects today's culture and homage if you will.

[quote name='fart_bubble']But there are good Frankenstein's monster and Wolfman movies. No one can replace Karloff and Chaney Jr. (still one of the best transformation scenes of all-time)[/quote]

i liked the frankenstein in Frankenstein Unbound( or maybe it was unleashed) the film where the guy from the future goes back in the time of frankenstein.

i also really liked the werewolves in the first howling film very cool and realistic looking. now howling 2 i loved 2 but it was mostly due to all the tits and ass scattered all over the film and that sweet fuckin theme song.

i still need to see those classic monster films though i feel like a fake saying im a horror fan and having never seen any of those. i did however see the classic phantom of the opera that movie kicked ass.

the thign that sucks the most about modern monster films is the damn monsters are so cliched and fruity. why the hell do vampires have to be moody goths or emo kids needy for gay attention? and why do werewolves always have to be mindless animals? why not smart werewolves or rough badass vampires ? those monsters need a complete makeover its way past time for someone to make them more than what they are.

like the way they remade the vampire genre in lifeorce.

Though I really love the film (and it probably shouldn't be remade), I wouldn't mind an update to The Cat People as long as its done the right way

How about Fright Night? I don't think a remake of that could ever work. No way in hell. The original was so perfect.

The correct answer to your question OP is They Live. Seeing that treated seriously with a big budget would be awesome. And although Roddy Piper couldnt be the lead in it, perhaps he could be wise mentor to the main character ... kinda like Kris Kristofferson in Blade.[/QUOTE]

As good as that movie is it would suck if remade. It is better left as is and a big budget would kill that movie. Now I'm going to have to find my copy on dvd and see it again.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The Nightmare on Elm Street series...

Modern day special effects would make this even more gory and hellish.[/QUOTE]

I don't know Robert Englund made that role. It would have to be him to play it again if not then it will be worse then The Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Atleast 2 you had to see just so you could say you saw all of them.

I think Killer Clowns from Outer Space should be remade or remake Leprechaun.

Hmm maybe Maniac or Deadbeat at Dawn might work out, I know I know don't mess with the obscure stuff. But, I really think these films could work in a modern day setting. Anyway, did you guys see the trailer for the Wizard of Gore remake?

[quote name='sendme']As good as that movie is it would suck if remade. It is better left as is and a big budget would kill that movie. Now I'm going to have to find my copy on dvd and see it again.

I don't know Robert Englund made that role. It would have to be him to play it again if not then it will be worse then The Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Atleast 2 you had to see just so you could say you saw all of them.

I think Killer Clowns from Outer Space should be remade or remake Leprechaun.[/quote]

yeah a killer clown remake would be sweet. but it needs to me more creepy and scary really tap into what it is about clowns that scare the fuck out of people. and id make them more zombie like. instead of wrapping people in cotton candy make them straight up eat people.

[quote name='Rocko']Jack Frost could also be remade.[/quote]
Yeah, Michael Keaton just didn't kill enough people in that movie.

:)

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Yeah, Michael Keaton just didn't kill enough people in that movie.

:)[/quote]

Your thinking of the wrong Jack Frost. There was a horror movie back in 96 called Jack Frost, about a serial killer who's soul gets trapped in a snowman. They even made a sequel in 2000. Needless to say, they were more funny than scary. I really dont think its worth remaking as the basis was pretty much a ripoff of every other 'soul enhabits some stupid object' movie.

200px-Jack_Frost_cover.jpg

[quote name='Bezerker']Your thinking of the wrong Jack Frost. There was a horror movie back in 96 called Jack Frost, about a serial killer who's soul gets trapped in a snowman. They even made a sequel in 2000. Needless to say, they were more funny than scary. I really dont think its worth remaking as the basis was pretty much a ripoff of every other 'soul enhabits some stupid object' movie.

[/quote]

i thought alot of the deaths were funny. especially when he screwed the chick to death with his carrot nose lol. think she was the same chick from american pie too.

that remake of 13 ghosts could have been done better too.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Aliens vs. Predator, its not like they could make it worse...[/QUOTE]

Hell, the trailer to the sequel alone is 10x better than the entire first movie.

A predator + dual shoulder cannons + two head shots on two random dudes > the first AvP.

I read a few articles stating that people are thinking of remaking the Thing (the John Carpenter version). In a way, that makes sense.

Still, I think they should remake bad films and try to improve on them. Just my 2 cents..

[quote name='Xevious']
Still, I think they should remake bad films and try to improve on them. Just my 2 cents..[/QUOTE]

I agree. One lousy sci-fi/horror film that sucked but had a bit of potential and a few bright spots and good ideas (at least in my opinion) was Ghosts of Mars. I was extremely disappointed in how that turned out.

[quote name='Bezerker']Your thinking of the wrong Jack Frost. There was a horror movie back in 96 called Jack Frost, about a serial killer who's soul gets trapped in a snowman. They even made a sequel in 2000. Needless to say, they were more funny than scary. I really dont think its worth remaking as the basis was pretty much a ripoff of every other 'soul enhabits some stupid object' movie.

[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, thats the first movie I ever saw with a lenticular cover. When you held it at one angle it looked like a regular snowman but if you moved it, it was a weird face. (unless I'm thinking of the other Jack Frost)

[quote name='lokizz'] that remake of 13 ghosts could have been done better too.[/quote]
Yes. Thats a good call on that one. It had a lot of potential but the way it was filmed it just felt bizarre. Plus Matthew Lillard is the worst ever. He just brought the movie down a few notches. That bald guy from Scarface wasnt that great either.

[quote name='Maklershed']If I'm not mistaken, thats the first movie I ever saw with a lenticular cover. When you held it at one angle it looked like a regular snowman but if you moved it, it was a weird face. (unless I'm thinking of the other Jack Frost)

Yes. Thats a good call on that one. It had a lot of potential but the way it was filmed it just felt bizarre. Plus Matthew Lillard is the worst ever. He just brought the movie down a few notches. That bald guy from Scarface wasnt that great either.[/quote]

yeah they should have gotten rid of the family altogether maybe even done it without one or chosen a better set of people to represent them. lillard did bring it down as well as the stereotypical black character. the ghosts were amazing the machine at the end kinda weird but had potential. it should have been more about the ghosts period. i dunno what the original was like since i passed over watching it.

[quote name='smalien1']they are making a day of the dead remake....

and nick canon is in it :([/quote]

dude tell me youre joking..............please??????

[quote name='smalien1']they are making a day of the dead remake....

and nick canon is in it :([/quote]

And his love interest is .. Paris Hilton?

bread's done
Back