Horror stories from this this black friday

Cheaponme

CAG Veteran
Im sure there will be horror shopping stories from this black friday,didnt get what you wanted,got in a fight,thrown out of the store ,whatever it is post it here.
Sorry for posting the word this twice didnt know i did until after i posted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a horror story, but my debit card refused to work at Walmart, and then it chargeed me twice I believe. SO now I have to go down to the bank to fix it.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Not really a horror story, but my debit card refused to work at Walmart, and then it chargeed me twice I believe. SO now I have to go down to the bank to fix it.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a pain.

oh im sure there will be some good stories here in a few hours. I might have some good ones to tell when I get home from work tonight.

I'm hoping for one where someone got into a fight over the last PS3 bundle in a store and ripped it out of the hands of a 10-year-old child, then proceeded to laugh in their face. We all know there are people on CAG who would do this just to get a deal. :roll:

I like going out for Black Friday...but there weren't any deals last year that I needed to go out for. I got all my stuff online.

This year, the deals seemed even more lackluster. Decided to head over to Wal-Mart around 7:00 to grab Smallville for my giflfriend. I was able to pricematch Season 8 of Smallville at Wal-Mart (from the BB ad), but the supervisor was a real bitch about it.

Her: "This ad shows it's for the Blu-Rays. Nope, can't do the DVD's."
Me: "It says 'Smallville DVD's' right HERE." *points to ad*
Her: *big sigh* "I'll do it this one time."

However, the cashier was very friendly and apologized a couple times for her supervisor (once she walked away). Made up for it, I guess.

I thinkg a true horror storry is where there is only one console left and the moment you are going to grab it, someone comes it and grabs it just a second earlier than you. NOOOOOOOOOOO. Its ever happened to me. I got in a brawl and got kicked out.
p.gif

p.gif

I hope there're no nightmare stories (as boring as that sounds). Honestly, unless you're in for a new system, I don't see anything anywhere worth getting out of the house. Even Amazon, which only requires a few clicks, has been a let down (except for one or two items).
Hope it gets better...

To add to my debit card misfortune, the CSM at Walmart literally took 10 minutes to walk maybe 50 feet over to the register to do my price match.

Not a horror story but WM tried pulling some real shit IMO.

They were my first stop at just past 5am.

All of the games and dvds on sale were stashed in the grocery side so I missed out on a few things I wanted.

I ended up pricematching the following-
2 dualshocks for ps3 from radio shack at 29.99
500gb passport hd from target at 59.99
2 RE5 360's from bb for 19.99

We started off with the dualshocks....they were trying to deny me the pricematch because the radio shack ad didnt specifically state WHAT TIME those controllers went on sale.

Seriously...they tried denying because it didnt state what time that specific item went on sale. They then went on to try and say that part of the ad said something to the effect of "more deals go live at 11:30am".....it was an interesting conversation going back and forth and eventually they let it go and I got all my pricematching done.

Went to Target to get House season 4 for my gf..they were out but I was gonna pricematch Wolverine and Wanted on Bluray from BB....only to find out that while Target was pricematching, they wouldnt do doorbusters and thats what those 2 were....

So I said f'it and went to bb and shockingly it wasnt bad at all....

In the end, I got EVERYTHING I was out to get except Godfather II ps3 and Midnightclub LA 360 at Wm. From what I heard there were 2 or 3 Wm's that never got those in at all.

When I was in line waiting to checkout, I had overheard a convo between customers and management about the microwave that was a hot deal at WM..the complaint was some lady literally had 3 baskets and had 20-30 of them in those baskets and alot of people got left hanging and management wouldnt do anything because they said there wasnt a limit.

[quote name='Will']When I was in line waiting to checkout, I had overheard a convo between customers and management about the microwave that was a hot deal at WM..the complaint was some lady literally had 3 baskets and had 20-30 of them in those baskets and alot of people got left hanging and management wouldnt do anything because they said there wasnt a limit.[/QUOTE]

20-30 Microwaves could fit into three baskets? That's amazing.

[quote name='Rig']I like going out for Black Friday...but there weren't any deals last year that I needed to go out for. I got all my stuff online.

This year, the deals seemed even more lackluster. Decided to head over to Wal-Mart around 7:00 to grab Smallville for my giflfriend. I was able to pricematch Season 8 of Smallville at Wal-Mart (from the BB ad), but the supervisor was a real bitch about it.

Her: "This ad shows it's for the Blu-Rays. Nope, can't do the DVD's."
Me: "It says 'Smallville DVD's' right HERE." *points to ad*
Her: *big sigh* "I'll do it this one time."

However, the cashier was very friendly and apologized a couple times for her supervisor (once she walked away). Made up for it, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Walmart does this all the time. They make some big deal about how they price match any other ads, then when you try, they have a huge fit about it and always try to worm their way out of it (case in point with the guy who had them give him shit because it didn't state a specific time). It's really fucking frustrating.

I got a full nights worth of sleep and already got my bf shopping done without leaving the house.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooh! Scarrrryyyyy ~ ~ ~

[quote name='SEH']Walmart does this all the time. They make some big deal about how they price match any other ads, then when you try, they have a huge fit about it and always try to worm their way out of it (case in point with the guy who had them give him shit because it didn't state a specific time). It's really fucking frustrating.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree walmart does have a fit when you try to match prices.

There was maybe like ten people outside of my store when I got there. No big deal, most of our sales were yesterday. I did hear a lot of people complaining because the Wal-Mart here started their sales at midnight instead of the advertised 5am, so when 5am rolled around, everything was already gone.

Ever go to a pawn shop on a friday? I seemed to be one of the only few there for their black friday deals (PS2/Xbox 3 for $5 + PS3/360 2 for $15), unfortunately I went during my lunch break expecting an in-and-out affair, but I ended up having to wait 45 minutes because of all the people ahead of me pawning their stuff, which is a rather lengthy process sometimes. Certainly not a terrible BF experience, especially when you consider all the great games I made off with, but kinda annoying that I'll be making up the additional lunch time spent waiting in line.

It wasn't bad at all. The only store I went to was Wal-Mart so I could pricematch Brutal Legend (didn't want to drive all the way to Best Buy). The guy grabbed the game, told me to follow him to the front of the line, adjusted the price, and I was out of there within 10 minutes (7 of those minutes were spent trying to make my way to the door). I then came home and did the rest of my shopping online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working, so no horror stories- however, I did see the strangest, most out-of-place, most "WTF" item I've ever seen in my store on Black Friday.

Bear in mind, I work in an Arts and Crafts store. Paper, paints, yarn, beads... that whole schtick. So, what do I find on our Doorbuster Deal shelf?

HSM1.jpg

HSM2.jpg

...seriously, who decided this was a good idea?!

I did sell one, though- the lady was buying it to have something to punish her boys with if they fought over the game system- she used to have a Britney Spears game for the same reason, but the dance pad broke. Those poor kids... :lol:

I had the best deal and had tons of sleep and $ since I didn't buy anything. bf deals are a thing of the past and crap as we've discovered it as years have gone by. on digg.com there was an article pointing out that alot of the wm, best buy, sears and other stores 'deals' for bf were bogus as you could find them on a regular day for the same price or less with free shipping or very low priced shipping. the only decent thing I saw on sale was left 4 dead 2 xbox 360 game for $34.99 among dragon age and some of the newer games but even at that price the resell value is less than that. oh well

I set my phone and clock alarm for 6 to get up for the Amazon PS3 deal. I ended up hitting the snooze and falling back asleep. However, I dreamed I woke up, went online, but Amazon was sold out. Then I woke up for real at 8 and ordered it.

I went to GameStop after going to breakfast and saw the Mario DSi bundle but didn't want it. Then I got home, changed my mind and ordered it. Then I saw there was a code to get free 3-day shipping so I canceled my first order and re-ordered. GameStop's site was slow as hell and entereing 4 gift cards didn't help the process. But it was worth it as it came out to $28.28. Those gift cards were from Christmas so I never have to shop at GameStop ever again.

I had done nearly all of my shopping before today arrived. Amazon cleaned me out majorly. I went to Best Buy and got Monsters vs Aliens and RE5 with little trouble.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I was working, so no horror stories- however, I did see the strangest, most out-of-place, most "WTF" item I've ever seen in my store on Black Friday.

Bear in mind, I work in an Arts and Crafts store. Paper, paints, yarn, beads... that whole schtick. So, what do I find on our Doorbuster Deal shelf?

HSM1.jpg

HSM2.jpg

...seriously, who decided this was a good idea?!

I did sell one, though- the lady was buying it to have something to punish her boys with if they fought over the game system- she used to have a Britney Spears game for the same reason, but the dance pad broke. Those poor kids... :lol:[/QUOTE]
:lol: That is hillarious a arts and craft store..lol,maybe you guys sell Ps3s by the painting section.lol

[quote name='Will']When I was in line waiting to checkout, I had overheard a convo between customers and management about the microwave that was a hot deal at WM..the complaint was some lady literally had 3 baskets and had 20-30 of them in those baskets and alot of people got left hanging and management wouldnt do anything because they said there wasnt a limit.[/QUOTE]

A microwave was a hot deal? Seriously?:roll: I mean, unless it was like $10-20, there's no way in hell I'd be pissed if someone was taking all of these 'incredible deal' microwaves.

[quote name='Cheaponme']I totally agree walmart does have a fit when you try to match prices.[/QUOTE]

That's because Wal*Mart is the Gamestop of retailers. They treat their customers and employees like shit, their idea of a 'deal' is $1 off MSRP and forget about them ever having a decent clearance deal.

Yet the gullible assholes come back every week and every month to bend over and take it for their 'always low prices'.:lol:

As for the person swiping a game console outta the hands of a 10 year old, that was me.....and the kid was 11. :razz:

Just because some dont see that microwave as a good deal doesnt mean others dont...I couldnt have cared less but then again I wasnt after one of those but I could see the point of El Hoardo pissing people off on Black Friday.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

That's because Wal*Mart is the Gamestop of retailers. They treat their customers and employees like shit, their idea of a 'deal' is $1 off MSRP and forget about them ever having a decent clearance deal.

[/QUOTE]

Thats funny you should say that about the clearance...theres a WM I hit once a week to check their clearance section...Theyve had a Sirius satellite radio on clearance literally for over a yr with no other price drop...makes me laugh everytime Ive seen it....

On the other hand, another WM not to far off had some pretty sweet clearance priced games etc.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I had the best deal and had tons of sleep and $ since I didn't buy anything. bf deals are a thing of the past and crap as we've discovered it as years have gone by. on digg.com there was an article pointing out that alot of the wm, best buy, sears and other stores 'deals' for bf were bogus as you could find them on a regular day for the same price or less with free shipping or very low priced shipping. the only decent thing I saw on sale was left 4 dead 2 xbox 360 game for $34.99 among dragon age and some of the newer games but even at that price the resell value is less than that. oh well[/QUOTE]

So, you only buy stuff that you can get more back than what you paid?

[quote name='SEH']So, you only buy stuff that you can get more back than what you paid?[/QUOTE]

I do it too, if the resell value is low on ebay or at gamestop it might be a sign that the game is going to drop more in price, if there is plenty of stock of the desired game and you don't plan on playing it right away you might want to wait a bit for a better price.

On the front page of the business section of the local newspaper this morning was a picture from early Friday at the local mall of a woman wearing a shirt saying "Black Friday: I'm buying 10 of whatever you are here for. See you on Ebay." I want to punch that woman in the face.

[quote name='momouchi']On the front page of the business section of the local newspaper this morning was a picture from early Friday at the local mall of a woman wearing a shirt saying "Black Friday: I'm buying 10 of whatever you are here for. See you on Ebay." I want to punch that woman in the face.[/QUOTE]

Lol that's awesome!

My BF horror story is that my finger got tired of refreshing Amazon. I got everything I wanted and some more. Wasn't much I was after this year really...

[quote name='momouchi']On the front page of the business section of the local newspaper this morning was a picture from early Friday at the local mall of a woman wearing a shirt saying "Black Friday: I'm buying 10 of whatever you are here for. See you on Ebay." I want to punch that woman in the face.[/QUOTE]

The shirt was probably a joke but it reminds me of this woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_u29_617g

Clarksville, Tn made national headlines with a woman braking her leg at TRU. Line pushed forward when a group of people got out of their cars 10 til doors opening. My only personal story was waiting for Old Navy. My store opened at 5 a.m. due to being in a mall. I got there at 11:30 and ended up waiting 5.5 hours instead of 3.3. Well my story deals with multiple mall entrances in the mall as well as the major store entrances into the mall. As always human nature takes over and the rumor machine starts around 2:30 about what doors will open first. Some here the main entrance and others here major stores will open their mall entrances when they open the store. So people start calling Mall management and Old Navy and get blown off or the run around. I'm first in line at the mall entrance right next to Old Navy and over here these girls saying they got blown off. They give me the number and I call. Talk to this nice sales associate, Jami, and after about 15-20 mins on the phone she decides to come outside at 3 a.m. and hand wristbands (76 total across all platforms) out to everyone in the line. Funny thing is we had about 75 people when the rumors started and people decided to leave and go to the main entrance based on them and missed out. there were people who got to the Old Navy entrance at 3:10 getting wristbands. Lucky bastards.:p

I didn't have any real horror stories this year, aside from a line that stretched all the way around Target. The line at GameStop was one of the best lines I've ever been in. Everyone was really friendly, despite the cold. I met a really nice old man that really enjoys Zelda and WWII games, who was picking up a PS3 for his grandchildren.

[quote name='Cheaponme']:lol: That is hillarious a arts and craft store..lol,maybe you guys sell Ps3s by the painting section.lol[/QUOTE]

What's worse- when I got in today, my manager told me we got an email from the higher-ups saying we had piss poor sales on the game (really now? :roll:) and I got to open one up so we could display the dance pad to try and push the thing. There was actually a script for a store announcement about it- luckily, my manager's a gamer too and knew better than to waste someone's time doing PA announcments for a HSM PS2 game.

I half hope the DM comes in and asks why we aren't selling any- maybe I can get one comp'd to me to test if it'd work as a replacement DDR mat. (Not that I need another DDR mat, but maybe I could trade it in to GS or something. :lol:)

Didn't want to go out this year, but the wife talked me into it.
Got to Walmart by 3am, waiting in the que for the 32" LCD TV for $250, while in line talked her into buying 2 since there was no limit. Surprisingly only saw people getting 2 at the most. Walked over and got the $78 BluRay player, and was all set.

Some black chick was ready to fight everyone in the store since she showed up at 5:15 and couldn't get what she wanted. Only real issue of the day.

Some bitch threatened to kill my son over his parking space at a different walmart tho :)

[quote name='Cheaponme']:lol: That is hillarious a arts and craft store..lol,maybe you guys sell Ps3s by the painting section.lol[/QUOTE]
That's funny. K-mart has those HSM pack things for $9.99 for their everday price. People are stupid, and will buy just about anything on black friday weekend.

Not me but my cousin went to Best Buy at 12 AM to get a laptop, stayed till 5 AM. Didn't get the laptop lol

Not exactly a horror story, but, here in Canada, new release games are usually between $60-70. Anyways, walked in the electronics department in Wal-Mart, and here are a few of the "limited time" deals they had.

Assassin's Creed 2: $70
God of War Collection: $40
Uncharted 2: $60
Halo ODST: $70

Where exactly is the deal here? They're all full price.

bread's done
Back