Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

I just thought I'd come back in here to reiterate

HolyshitThisisAwesome.jpg

I just couldn't believe it when I got on the Internet today and saw that we're actually getting a Hotel Dusk sequel. Hopefully NoA will actually do their jobs and localize it unlike Trace Memory 2, if not I'm sure NoE will be happy to do it for them.

I'm so excited about this game that if they announced it was DSi only I would buy a DSi to play it.

[quote name='UncleBob']Probably won't come to the 'states, just like the second Trace Memory.[/QUOTE]
Even if it doesn't it will most likely come out in Europe, which is fine since DS games are region free.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm so excited about this game that if they announced it was DSi only I would buy a DSi to play it.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:$ Don't give them any ideas...

I think Hotel Dusk sold well here, which is not the case for Trace Memory. Hotel Dusk is still on many store shelves.

[quote name='soonersfan60']:whistle2:$ Don't give them any ideas...[/QUOTE]

If they made it DSi exclusive and only released it in Japan and the UK, and even though DSi software is region locked, I would import a UK DSi in order to play it.

Your move.

Plus Hotel Dusk got a Touch Generations/Greatest Hits re-release, so I think that means it had to sell well enough to earn that.

Strell, the sad part is that I would get a DSi to play it also. I just don't want Nintendo to know that... (Just like I got a DS when they first came out primarily because my son loved the first Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA so much and the sequel was DS exclusive.)

Oh, I agree. I just am 100% committed.

I would swim over there with my American DSi between my teeth (along with a hunting knife), halfway submerging underwater to get John Jameson's missing whiskey barrel to return to Mother Ireland, with nary a second thought.

[quote name='Squarehard']:whee::whee::whee:=P~=P~=P~=P~:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/:bow::bow::bow::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: :applause::applause::applause::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:):):):):)[/QUOTE]

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk were released in two totally different timeframes on the DS.

Trace Memory was released before the Brain Ages and the Nintendogs and the Soccer Moms buying up DS lites. Trace Memory was released before the DS lite!

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of sales Trace Memory could get now if it had a budget re-release like Hotel Dusk did.

[quote name='Strell']If they made it DSi exclusive and only released it in Japan and the UK, and even though DSi software is region locked, I would import a UK DSi in order to play it.

Your move.[/QUOTE]

Is it confirmed that DSi software is region locked? I mean, I know they said it was capable - but has there been any DSi-only software released to test out the implementation of it?

Wow! Didnt expect all the 'creaming of jeans' going on here. While I would likely play a second Hotel Dusk, I had several issues with the first one. 1) Towards the end of the game, it felt like it stopped being a "game" and was simply a novel. Good story and all, but I'd have rather had a little more meaningful interactivity. 2) I hated that you couldnt interact with items until you hit a certain point in the story. If I can pick something up, I'd like the ability to pick it up as soon as I see it. I got stuck on the 'adhesive' for the wine label b/c I had totally forgotten it was in the box you got early on since I couldnt grab it the first time. Why would I think I could grab it later?

These were the same issues I had w/ Trace Memory too (though I played TM after HD). Funny though, I'd rather they brought over TM 2 than HD 2. While both were interesting stories, I felt more drawn in by Trace.

[quote name='hostyl1']Wow! Didnt expect all the 'creaming of jeans' going on here. While I would likely play a second Hotel Dusk, I had several issues with the first one. 1) Towards the end of the game, it felt like it stopped being a "game" and was simply a novel. Good story and all, but I'd have rather had a little more meaningful interactivity. 2) I hated that you couldnt interact with items until you hit a certain point in the story. If I can pick something up, I'd like the ability to pick it up as soon as I see it. I got stuck on the 'adhesive' for the wine label b/c I had totally forgotten it was in the box you got early on since I couldnt grab it the first time. Why would I think I could grab it later?

These were the same issues I had w/ Trace Memory too (though I played TM after HD). Funny though, I'd rather they brought over TM 2 than HD 2. While both were interesting stories, I felt more drawn in by Trace.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't make sense for your character to pick something up just because he can. That would make the game too easy. As for feeling too much like a novel near the end of the game... wasn't the whole point of the game to play out like a novel?

Sure HD had it's problems but it was a great experience overall, I thought. I liked it enough to give TM a go and ended up liking that game too (though not as much as HD).

This is great news, or at least will be if it gets a Stateside release.

(administers sedative to Strell)

[quote name='Vegan']I think Hotel Dusk sold well here, which is not the case for Trace Memory. Hotel Dusk is still on many store shelves.[/QUOTE]

I think you just articulated the problem right there.

[quote name='Tybee']This is great news, or at least will be if it gets a Stateside release.

(administers sedative to Strell)

I think you just articulated the problem right there.[/QUOTE]

But HD was reprinted, TM was not.

i remember them sending me a friend request for hotel dusk on myspace last year, i had totally forgotten about the game until just now after reading this thread hahahahahha

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18471596#post18471596
Apparently, there's a guy over at 2chan who attended a Nintendo retailer's briefing on Last Window and Zangeki no Reginleiv, and he's been posting some info on the two titles. Duckroll of NeoGAF translated his comments on Last Window. (Side-note: The fact that it still supports the rumble cart rules out it being a DSi exclusive)

[quote name='duckroll']I'm going to take a stab at the Last Window impressions, since no one else seems to have bothered translating it.

Basically the retailer staffer posting about the game gives a rundown on the new features of the sequel, while talking about various interface improvements from the first game. In general the game is very similar to the original in terms of visual and audio style, and fans of the original will feel right at home. The game takes place a year after the original, and is set in 1980 in Los Angeles. The setting of the sequel is in the Cape West Apartments. The story in the sequel stands alone from the previous games, even though there might be connections that fans of the original can pick up on. Those who have not played the original will not feel particularly lost in this game.

The main character is still Kyle, and he's still a dick. It's all good though, because fans will probably not have it any other way. There are two major additions to the sequel he mentions. One is the ignore function. In the original game, progression is pretty much always made when you butt into other people's problems in conversations, etc. In the sequel, more attention will have to be paid when you decide whether you want to butt in or to ignore something, because there is a possibility of getting a game over if you butt into everything. At least, that's what I think he's saying.

As for the other major feature, there is a novel inside the game called "Last Window" as well. It is a companion piece to the game, and a chapter unlocks each time you clear a story chapter. The novel will touch in various sub-scenarios which flesh out the events of the game outside of Kyle's immediate adventure, and involves the overall setting in the game and the other characters. Apparently the contents of the novel (which I assume is actually being 'written' as you play the game) is influenced by your choices in the game itself, so there is replay value in trying to discover all the "variations" in the novel.

He also mentions that the game supports the rumble cart, and that it has 3 save slots. There is no detailed report on Reginleiv yet, but he will put one up later tonight. He mentions the game supports both Motion+ as well as the classic controller and that it is a surprisingly violent game. You can target the heads and limbs of enemies in the game, and slice off both heads and limbs complete with blood effects. It definitely earns the CERO D rating. The setting of the game is an EDF style action game pitting young deities against a race of giants. The free online play is for co-op, and supports up to 4 players. There will be weapon customization, featuring over 300 different weapons.[/quote]

[quote name='Cao Cao'](Side-note: The fact that it still supports the rumble cart rules out it being a DSi exclusive)[/QUOTE]

Good, cause I am not going out of my way to get a DSi just to play the sequel. Too expensive T___T

Yeah the game had some flaws but Cing seems like a developer that just keeps growing. I certainly expect them to have improved quite a bit since this game came out in 2006. The post about the retailer's summit has addressed one of the gripes I had with HD.

[quote name='Strell']We'll have to make an official thread once a NA release is confirmed (assuming it will).[/QUOTE]

Who should we kidnap until NoA follows through with our demands?

Playing this game concurrently with my gf. I studied lit and got my BA in the same and so I really turn my nose up at the dialogue in many, many games. But Hotel: Dusk gets ALOT right. Many of the small colloquial expressions feel right. Hardly any of the dialogue has felt out of place which says a great deal about the translation team. My girlfriend thinks some of it's a little cheesy but it is a graphic novel...game...thingy...

Can't wait to see the dialogue in Dante's Inferno...:hot:

Just started playing this game last night and so far I am very impress. Reminds me a lot of the old adventure games. The localization is also very good and I love the setting.

Looks great! More of the same, which in this case is a good thing.

Also stoked for a new (fourth?) Prof. Layton and that Final Fantasy game, whatever it was, looked pretty sweet as well.

I still have my save from when I beat the game two years ago on 12/29. The same date the events of the game were set. ;)

I'm thinking about wrapping up my second playthough
for the second ending of course,
in the next 48 hours but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it.

According to the newest issue of Nintendo Power another Cing adventure/mystery game is coming out in March. It's called Again and features photos for the characters instead of art, though other then that it looks really similar to Hotel Dusk. It sounds like a good game to hold us until Last Window comes out.

[quote name='Kaijufan']According to the newest issue of Nintendo Power another Cing adventure/mystery game is coming out in March. It's called Again and features photos for the characters instead of art, though other then that it looks really similar to Hotel Dusk. It sounds like a good game to hold us until Last Window comes out.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know about again. You just made my day. I love Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory. I really enjoy this genre of games.

Nintendo registered the Last Window trademark in Europe. (Source) If it's coming the latter half of the year, then we may hear something about it at E3.

bread's done
Back