House of the Dead: Overkill - $12.99 @ Amazon

Debating...all I have for Wii are on-rails shooters. I think I have all of the good ones but this one. What the heck, for 12$ I might as well...

Yeah, I'd suggest picking it up on Newegg if you do not have other items to qualify for the 25$ free shipping as the shipping is already free on newegg.

LOVE that Amazon is not hesitating on price matching prices.

Newegg charges tax for CA orders, Sure it's only $1+ change difference, but having 2 day shipping and no tax as a back up from Amazon is Golden.:bouncy:

[quote name='puresewas1de']Haven't played House of the Dead since the second one. Is Overkill much different from the first two?[/QUOTE]

Far as the gameplay it isn't much different. Far as the story. It was more twisted/demented than the others or at least to me. Its worth 13 easy though.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']How is the co-op in this? That'd be my main interest in picking it up...[/QUOTE]

I picked this up a few months ago and my wife and I played it thoroughly. She doesn't normally enjoy shooters but she had fun blasting zombies (and it probably helped that it was a rail-shooter so she didn't have to worry about moving). Unfortunately the game is really short and easy to begin with so with two people at the helm, you can get through the main story in 3 hours or less. Then there's a "Director's Cut" mode which adds a few new parts to the levels and increases the difficulty, but at that point you have upgraded weapons so again, you're looking at maybe another 3 hours.

If you have some friends, there are some fun multiplayer modes but considering it was just me and my wife, I really only played this game for the co-op aspect of it. There's quite a bit of collection to do in the game and some little "achievements" to try to complete but you're still playing the same levels over and over again. I actually only played the game for two whole nights before trading it in because I didn't want to go through the levels again. Once you have the upgraded weapons, the game is a cakewalk.

Y2JerichoHALic55 and puresewas1de both asked about previous HoTD games. To be honest, I had trouble following the storylines of the previous games, so no, you don't need to have played the previous ones to understand this one, especially considering this game takes place before all the others. Also, this game plays almost identically to the others since they are all rail shooters, but the style and look of this game is miles ahead of the others IMO. At least the hokey dialogue and goofy plot BELONG in this game, unlike the others where it just made the game feel like a giant B-movie. Overkill actually embraces that B-movie aspect.

Bottom line, I think the game isn't more than a rental if you don't have a lot of other people to play it with.

I love rail shooters and the HOTD games and this wasn't even worth the $12.99 I paid to newegg.com for it. I quickly traded it in to Amazon for $9.50 and all was well.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I love rail shooters and the HOTD games and this wasn't even worth the $12.99 I paid to newegg.com for it. I quickly traded it in to Amazon for $9.50 and all was well.[/QUOTE]

Still a better deal then renting it so I think I'll bite on the newegg deal and trade it just like you did.

So with the MadWorld that I got earlier this week ($13 shipped) and now this, I've gotten both of the underselling hardcore Sega games. I'm doing my part Sega! :D

[quote name='metallicoholic']I picked this up a few months ago and my wife and I played it thoroughly. She doesn't normally enjoy shooters but she had fun blasting zombies (and it probably helped that it was a rail-shooter so she didn't have to worry about moving). Unfortunately the game is really short and easy to begin with so with two people at the helm, you can get through the main story in 3 hours or less. Then there's a "Director's Cut" mode which adds a few new parts to the levels and increases the difficulty, but at that point you have upgraded weapons so again, you're looking at maybe another 3 hours.

If you have some friends, there are some fun multiplayer modes but considering it was just me and my wife, I really only played this game for the co-op aspect of it. There's quite a bit of collection to do in the game and some little "achievements" to try to complete but you're still playing the same levels over and over again. I actually only played the game for two whole nights before trading it in because I didn't want to go through the levels again. Once you have the upgraded weapons, the game is a cakewalk.

Y2JerichoHALic55 and puresewas1de both asked about previous HoTD games. To be honest, I had trouble following the storylines of the previous games, so no, you don't need to have played the previous ones to understand this one, especially considering this game takes place before all the others. Also, this game plays almost identically to the others since they are all rail shooters, but the style and look of this game is miles ahead of the others IMO. At least the hokey dialogue and goofy plot BELONG in this game, unlike the others where it just made the game feel like a giant B-movie. Overkill actually embraces that B-movie aspect.

Bottom line, I think the game isn't more than a rental if you don't have a lot of other people to play it with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great, down-to-earth commentary. I'm really just looking for something to play at night with my brother when I'm visiting family over the holidays, and this may scratch that itch...

I would recommend this game easily at this price. I just re-bought it for this price when amazon had it up a 3 weeks ago or so.

It is short, but for 13 bucks its got good replay value and is mindless fun.

If you find it too easy their is always directors cut mode, and dropping the second player should up the difficulty as well.

My only major gripe with the game is that your guns don't carry over to directors cut after you beat it, but any cash bonuses you earned in your play through can not be re-earned. So it could be difficult to get the better guns on the harder difficulty if you don't plan ahead.

Agreed that Overkill is not perhaps all that but it certainly isn't a bad game.

Personally, I think the Time Crisis series (3 in particular) and Vampire Night are much better games.

This would be a great Christmas gift my friend, I think it would finally get him to use his Wii once more. I think its been a year since he last turned it on.

I have a slew of new Wii games (NSMB, Dead Space Extraction, MadWorld), but I keep coming back to HotD: Overkill. It's a riot to play and has provided more unexpected laughs than any game in recent memory -- I feel bad for not buying it at full price!

bread's done
Back