How badly did I do with painting this SNES?

Deserter Goose

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Yanking this from another thread I made elsewhere that wasn't focusing on this.

This is my old SNES that I've had since I was four or so - not being the perfectionist I am today back then, the power adapter outlet is missing a piece that keeps the connector from the adapter in place (meaning I have to keep the cord in just the right angle if I want the console to power on), and the outer shell has suffered that oh-so-lovely yellowing effect almost all of 'em fell prey to.

I figured that since I'm probably going to hunt down a Mini SNES, I could experiment with it by attempting to paint it black with Krylon Fusion. I made a few mistakes, at least - I'm no expert with paints and didn't realize it would eat through the plastic if I tried wiping off parts of it (occasionally it attempted to pool in certain spots). My fiancee claims it doesn't look that bad, but I don't think I like it.

Pics:

#1: Notice where the plastic was eaten away above the Nintendo logo - there's also some to the bottom left of the power switch. Another big problem that you can see is the fact that the eject switch had some paint that pooled on the bottom of it (was too afraid to mess with it for fear of more plastic-eating goodness), along with the Super Nintendo sticker/faceplate not painting well.

2e16k3c.png

#2: Mostly pleased with how the bottom turned out - especially surprised I did well enough with the sticker on the bottom. Angry at someone for trying to 'assist' me with removing the security screws while I was away at class and warping the middle-right screw hole.

2uy3uy0.png

#3: The back plate was the only part I was too afraid to try to paint, as it was connected to the motherboard fairly solidly (I managed to paint the controller ports without too much trouble, however). If you look closely, you can see where the adapter connector is missing. Kinda sad that I failed at painting around the repair call sticker and had to cover it all up.

2my7yh2.png

#4: Okay, so a little bit of paint seeped into the controller ports and made them not so perfect. Still, it's unnoticeable when there's a controller plugged in.

9hsvv6.png

It still works fine - I was really worried that I would screw up and fry something, but no problems with that. Really surprised.

Tell me what you guys think - and if you have 'em, throw me some tips on what to better do next time.

Next time, experiment with Design Master brand spray paint... it's designed for delicate surfaces like flowers and styrofoam, and the only thing I know avoids the plastic-eating effect most spraypaints have. I wonder if Testors model paint would work, too...

It's pretty clear it's not professional, but it's not horrible. Unlike the NES my sister got from a friend that was painted with cheap black arcylic. It made it hold in heat. Couple that with a generic AC adapter running not quite the right voltage, and it blew up after a couple months of use. Only time I've ever put a game system in the trash...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I wonder if Testors model paint would work, too...[/QUOTE]
Testors is definitely not the right thing to use. It's decent quality paint, but it comes in a graffiti can (shoots straight stream). I like using Krylon; good paint, and they use the fan tip for their cans.

@ OP: It's not professional, but it's a decent job. I see a few specks in the paint, but the only way to get rid of that (without a spray booth/table) is wet sanding/respraying/sanding/buffing, so I don't blame you for not doing it. ;)

bread's done
Back