How can I freaking get a Playstation 3 through air miles? (B.C.)

Gamepro

CAG Veteran
So I have a bunch of air miles, and I want a Playstation 3 before FFXIII/Heavy Rain. Should be easy right? With all their electronic rewards and gift card rewards.

Apparently not. Air miles has not had the Playstation 3 console in their rewards section for months. So I thought I could just get a bunch HBC gift cards and get it that way - actually a way better deal points wise. But I've phoned virtually every Zellers in the lower mainland within an hours drive and NONE have a single Playstation 3 console left. And they all said they have no idea when they're getting more in. One lady said she ordered a bunch of them a while ago but hasn't heard anything. And The Bay I'm pretty sure doesn't have anything video game related at all.

It's like they're all in cahoots to not give me my PS3! I don't want to order like $350-$400 worth of HBC gift cards without knowing for sure that one of the stores will have it before FFXIII comes out. Does anyone know what the hell is going on and/or have any suggestions?

You could get the gift cards, then trade them on Craigslist for a PS3.

Take a 20% hit on the value.

Meet up at a HBC store to prove that the cards are real to the trader, and open the box there to make sure you're not trading for a box with a well-packed yellow pages book.

Pain in the butt = yes But free is free.

Does Zellers sell gift cards, and if so, can you buy them WITH a gift card? I recently traded in some PC points to buy Home Depot gift cards, so I wonder if you can do the same.

Oh, word of advice, Air Miles can take up to 8 weeks to ship the gift cards. (personal experience). If this is the route you're taking, order them well before you have to buy the PS3.

Staples sells consoles... It seems it's more expensive to get Staples GC from airmiles but you can often find a coupon for Staples which would reduce the cost of the console so it might work out

Hmm when you buy something at Zellers and return it sealed do you get cash or store credit?

And I guess I could trade the gift cards on craigslist for a PS3...but I wouldn't want a used PS3 without any warranty. So probably last resort if I get desperate enough...

[quote name='halcyon1234']Does Zellers sell gift cards, and if so, can you buy them WITH a gift card? I recently traded in some PC points to buy Home Depot gift cards, so I wonder if you can do the same.[/QUOTE]

Ahh that's clever. I'll have to check it out. I seem to remember only seeing Zellers gift cards but it's possible. The Bay might have something as well.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Oh, word of advice, Air Miles can take up to 8 weeks to ship the gift cards. (personal experience). If this is the route you're taking, order them well before you have to buy the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap really? Someone said theirs arrived within days. Past rewards I've personally ordered had arrived pretty fast too. Guess I'll have to hope for the best.

[quote name='TripleQ']Staples sells consoles... It seems it's more expensive to get Staples GC from airmiles but you can often find a coupon for Staples which would reduce the cost of the console so it might work out[/QUOTE]

I didn't know Staples sold consoles. But yeah it's a slightly worse deal points-wise...but it would have been worth the hit in points to actually get my console, plus the commonly found coupon like you mentioned.

Oh well I ordered the HBC gift cards, and I guess I'll just wait until they arrive and then see what the situation is. I read an article recently that the PS3 is apparently going to be in short supply for the next couple months. I don't see any good reason why that should be happening at this point in its lifecycle but that's what it is. So I might have to waste my money and buy the dumb 250GB edition if that's all I can find.

bread's done
Back