How can you guys/girls afford a hdtv

[quote name='doubledown']We have jobs.[/quote]

qft

I can save up $700 in my "save for an hdtv" fund.. but then it somehow gets all spent. :whistle2:s

[quote name='PyroGamer']

With component cables it looks great. Not HD, by any means, but beautiful enough.

[/QUOTE]

i would like to suggest that you visit an optometrist, what youre saying is the equivalent of saying, yeah jessica alba
jessica-alba-parade-04.jpg
is beautiful, but my girlfriend sally
167px-Ugly_girl.gif
is beautiful enough.

1. I have a job that pays pretty well.
2. 3 years no interest deals FTW.
3. Watch for deals.

Those allowed me to get a nice 50" Sony LCD RPTV for $999.99 in June and #'s 1 and 3 just allowed me to get a 360 to complement my Wii this week.

[quote name='lmz00']I got a credit card with 0% interest for 6 months and used it to get a KDL-46XBR2 for my bedroom from J&R for about $2,800 IIRC. This was back in April (I've since paid it off). I was 19 and have never worked a day in my life. If I did it, so can you! :p

Okay, perhaps not.[/QUOTE]

*cough* drug dealer...

It depends how picky you are also. I got my 30" HDTV for less than 300 from a deal on here. It was a refurb and a huge CRT but I've been happy with the purchase.

I bought a floor model, also there is this thing called financing.

Oddly enough you can put something on a "credit card" and not to have to pay interest for a year or more.

[quote name='Apossum']I go around killing woodland creatures, then I sell the loot I pick off their bodies. Sometimes they have gold pieces lodged in their stomachs.[/QUOTE]

Ironic that you name yourself after one of those critters you pride yourself in kidding. YOU GODDAMN HIPPOCRIT [sic]!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']my girlfriend sally
167px-Ugly_girl.gif
is beautiful enough.[/QUOTE]
Your girlfriend, huh? Sucks to be you.

It's more like saying Jessica Alba
jessica-alba-749754.jpg
is beatiful, but Jessica Alba
2uptpb5.jpg
is beautiful enough.

I worked for it, checked deals and ratings on the tv's (since an HDTV was on my shopping list anyway, with all the DTV HD channels)

It was a better deal online as I got the tv for less, shipping was free, and there was no tax... 2000 well spent IMO

Add to that in exchange for my brother in law redoing the sheet rock on my living room ceiling, I gave him the old 47" 1080i Panny I had been using

Now to find a sweet deal on a 32-37" LCD for my game room, and I will move the HD CRT from that room to replace the bedroom tv, and I will be all set

[quote name='daroga']Have you thought of going into people's homes and breakinga ll their pottery and taking the money inside of them?[/QUOTE]
My Best Buy doesn't accept rupees :whistle2:(

I got a pretty nice Samsung 32-inch LCD HDTV (only 720P though) for just a few hundred dollars at my local Comp USA going-out-of-business sale back in May.

[quote name='lmz00']?

I'll just assume you're joking. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Well, enlighten us how you paid off $2,800 in 6-months with NO JOB???? I'm curious how that works.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I got a pretty nice Samsung 32-inch LCD HDTV (only 720P though) for just a few hundred dollars at my local Comp USA going-out-of-business sale back in May.[/QUOTE]

720p is fine, especially on a 32" TV. You'd have to be sitting like 2-3 feet away to be able to see the improvement in 1080p in that size.

Even in a 50" you have to be closer that 8-10 feet to tell the difference.

[quote name='doubledown']Well, enlighten us how you paid off $2,800 in 6-months with NO JOB???? I'm curious how that works.[/quote]

Yeah me too.

It was easy for me.

Circuit city had an open box deal where I got an open box 42" Samsung DLP HDTV. It was like 1150 new or something but they were having an open box sale, and I got an extra 10% off for financing it through a CC credit card (which i paid off in 10 months and then cut up). I also got another 50 bucks off just by asking the manager ot discount it further because it had a tiny scratch on it that you can only see when the TV is off and you are within a foot of the screen.

Total: $750 over 10 payments = 75 bucks a month.

you could always as a cheaper alternative use an LCD screen, i got a 19" for about $120 or so awhile ago. HD cables and you are good to go

kind of OT, but just curious what job you guys have? i'm in the process of looking for one. you all part time students also, out of school ,etc?? i just have no idea what i want to do sincce i dont have much experience lol. definitely not retail or some fast food job lol.

so far ive applied to UPS (interview in a week or so),just because its a night job and offers good benefits as a part timer. but i hear its back breaking work and getting paid $9/hr. might be good as a 2nd job type of thing, but probably not enough income by itself to pay off bills etc. there might be jobs that pay more, work less.

i'd love to get in on all these great game deals lately, but not until i get a job lol. i'm in a dry spell, havent bought a game since crackdown/mlb2k7....its torture lol

I went around to Best Buy, Circuit City and Target every day (sometimes twice a day) and asked the electronics manager on duty if he had any extra HDTVs. After 5 weeks, one of the guys at Target finally said "Yes" and handed me a 42" 1080p Sony. It was the happiest day of my life.

^^^^^ The above will never ever happen. Get a job, spend less than you earn, and save up money. It's verrrry simple.

Sign up for one of those "do X offers, get a free Plasma TV" deals. That's how I got my 42" Panasonic. Could never have justified spending $1500 on a TV but since it was "free" (well, I had to sign up for and cancel 9 offers and ended up spending ~ $70) I went for it. If you go this route just do your research and make sure you sign up with a reputable (and dooable) supplier ...

try some credit. For example, I work at Best Buy and I applied for the Credit Card, which gets you six months with no interest.

I'm sure you're in my shoes as well: works very little for little money. That's cool. Just 'cause you cannot get the biggest thing out there does not mean you have to live without HDTV

Recently, this summer, I picked up this guy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ng+30&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1172880155897

It may not be the best thing out there, but my X360, Wii, and Ps3 look incredible on it. Using the card, I bought that for 599 at the middle of May and finished paying the middle weeks of August. (keep in mind, BB employees get paid once every 2 weeks)

See if you can find a good deal (Seen a lot of stores bundling decent TVs with newer systems)

[quote name='ramatut4001']I got married.[/quote]

I must have screwed up on that one. Marriage is looking bad for me financially (at least short term). A combination of wedding expenses, honeymoon expenses, and the fact my finacee makes about a third of what I do right now.

[quote name='yellowcoward']My girlfriend of 7 years is the reason I can't drop multi grand on the TV of choice.[/QUOTE]

Getting married cuts down the necessity of gifts to 3 times a year: her birthday, Valentine's Day, anniversary. You can save the rest of the year :applause:

As for me, I work 2 jobs, do lots of wheeling and dealing, and don't buy any new equipment until I'm sure it's a great deal. I just got a 37" 1080p LCD for $799 and don't think I'll need anything new for many years.

Two things.

1. There is a little misconception in this thread. Donating blood is different than donating plasma. You can get paid for donating plasma, you generally don't get paid for donating blood (except with free cookies and t-shirts).

I can make up to $210/month donating plasma. Not bad. Do some reading while you just sit there.

2. I noticed a few people call SDTV users "cheap." That's bull. I've played 360 on HDTVs and SDTVs, and it's basically the same damn experience. Halo 3 is still Halo 3, and Bioshock is still Bioshock. It just looks a little prettier on HDTV, so shuddap. :)

And using your computer monitor is a great suggestion. I have a friend who does that.

[quote name='Troopa'] I noticed a few people call SDTV users "cheap." That's bull. I've played 360 on HDTVs and SDTVs, and it's basically the same damn experience. Halo 3 is still Halo 3, and Bioshock is still Bioshock. It just looks a little prettier on HDTV, so shuddap already. :)[/QUOTE]
But... but.. 1080P!

I agree. I'm holding off on an HDTV because I mostly couldn't give a damn about a hundred more pixels in a frame. I've grown with playing PC games at shitty resolutions, but I still have fun with them. (Starcraft on 19" isn't exactly that pretty, but it's still Starcraft and it's still fun)

Dare I say it... The PS3 bought my HDTV. The profit from reselling it paid almost 100% for my 32". I do work as many hours a week as I can, but with school and my car payment, there is no way for me to get ahead. That was the only chance I'd have in the next few years to buy something big, and I knew it then, and made sure I cashed in on it.

Like someone said earlier...
I got mine through 2 years no interest at Nebraska Furniture Mart (awesome midwest store when I lived there) and made regular payments to pay it off before time expired.

[quote name='Mugen']I just save up enough for a 360 so i decided to go down to our local walmart to look at some cheap hdtv's but i was surprised at how expensive they were,i'm thinking should i get the 360 now and play it on my crappy non hdtv or just keep saving until i can afford a hdtv as well.If i didn't have bills,car payments it wouldn't be much of an issue but damn if you want to game in this generation its gonna cost you.[/QUOTE]

I'm blissfully unemployed (at least in the traditional sense, going to college is my job) but I sold off a bunch of redundant games on eBay and voila, big happy TV.

Anybody who says playing on a HD is the same thing as playing on a SD hasn't played in HD yet.

I went from a 32" SD to a 19" HD and the difference is mindblowing.

Still it's only $200 for a 19" widescreen computer monitor/$30 for VGA cords so you don't have to be super rich to make the jump.

I'm a little confused.

There are people who say that anyone who doens't have an HDTV is cheap and there are people who say don't buy a cheap HDTV because you should put money into a better product.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I'm a little confused.

There are people who say that anyone who doens't have an HDTV is cheap and there are people who say don't buy a cheap HDTV because you should put money into a better product.[/QUOTE]

The Cheap HDTV's are good enough for gaming, its if you want to watch a reference-quality HD picture calibrated at $800 per session by an ISF technician where you want to spend the big bucks on a better TV.

PS: You guys should also consider some of the 720p DLP projectors out there now on the cheap for gaming goodness..........and of course used is your friend too, don't be afraid to try a used Rear Projection CRT set either.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I'm a little confused.

There are people who say that anyone who doens't have an HDTV is cheap and there are people who say don't buy a cheap HDTV because you should put money into a better product.[/QUOTE]

I never said that but again a 19" Samsung widescreen computer monitor is only $200 and you could get a MS VGA cable for $15-35

It's good enough for gaming and probably better than buying one of those no-name HDTVs.

I imagine each person will have there own preferance, I mean its sure nice to play multiplayer games in the den on Big 61' rear-projection tv
and I'll admit is my 32 HDTV is great for Bioshock & Halo when its just me.. but I got both my tvs for excellent prices

I got my 32' Samsung HDTV at Sears on sale w/ 18mths no interest and it was being clearanced to make space for new models

Gaming on a SDTV and HDTV are NOT the same...i went from a 36" SDTV to a 56" 1080p HDTV .... the difference is crazy..last time i was back home I was playing Gears of War on my lil bro's 360 on my parents 32" tv and i couldnt see shit....the interlacing was horribly noticeable and just made for an overall crappy gameplay experience....

HDTV's are getting cheap.....my father in law just picked up a Toshiba 65HM167 from Circuit City a few days ago with the 10% off coupon for around $1540 after tax.....excellent deal on a bigass 1080p tv

$1,000 Black Friday deal, - 10% employee discount. Sold my (at the time) OOP James Bond DVD's for $300, sold my old widescreen TV to a friend for $250. Not bad on the back end.

bread's done
Back