How Circuit City Ruined My Weekend - A long short story by billg

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chitown021']I love thread crappers that don't read the OP...[/quote]

I read the entire OP...every whiney word of it. I was really hoping for a TRUE horror story to make me rage against the machine, but this story was not it.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Best Buy HQ is in MN... I drive by it every morning.

I always give it a quick dirty look, and most days I give it the finger.[/quote]

Thank you for that. Next time you go by, can you give them double, for me? Appreciate it!!!

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']I read the entire OP...every whiney word of it. I was really hoping for a TRUE horror story to make me rage against the machine, but this story was not it.[/QUOTE]

QFT. If it wasn't CC, no way would it have been on the front page.

I went in their the other day to get portable ops+ and some gifts.
The girl at the register was yelling at the manager telling her that idea was stupid, while not bothering to say hello to the 3 customers she was ringing up before me. Then she tried to charge me full price for the 4 games when the ad at the front of the store clearly states all 19.99 games are buy one get one half off. I guess she was stupid or just trying to make 20 bucks.

I admittadly didnt read the entire thread, only the OPs post. Now seeing as I have worked for CC for little more then a year now, 9 months in the gaming department and the rest in customer service, I can say that not every CC employee is an idiot. I can also say that the OP was looking for a fight from the moment he walked into the store. As for the run around he got, thats fucked up. But i can tell you why, stock was off, simple as that, but the website relys on stock. What would he have done if he was told from the get go that our inventory was off and thats why we didnt have any? He would still have been pissed and asked that we discount a comperable thumb drive for him. BUT its against CC policy, simple as that, we cant do that. If we bent to the whim of every customer CC would be further in the shit hole then we are now. Im sorry for your misshap with the drive but we have rules to abide by weather you like it or not. I hate people who walk into the store and are under come kind of misconception that we can do what ever we want to the prices. We cant, that shit rolls down on us and im not getting bitched at cause you felt inconvienced. It is a retail store, dont expect some professional actions on every transaction you partake in cause thats a fucking fantasy. Im truly sorry for what happened to you but it really isnt even a blip on the CC radar, were going to continue to uphold our policys, people that bitch to the extreme that you did will get justification but thats as far as its going to go.

And to the post above me, if you know how the POS works in the store then you would have an idea of why she didnt ring up your ad. When we scan a game thats 19.99 or less a message comes up asking for a package to be rung up. Now with yours it was the 2 for 30 deal. But nearly everything in the store pops that package message up, we instinctavly just skip through it. If she has known about the deal ahead of time on the games she would have known to ring it up correctly. And we for some reason people are under some misconception that WE get a kick back from warrenty, and just normal sales in general. We dont. CC hasent worked on comission in 6 fucking years. So next time you walk into a store dont assume we have the easies fucking job. Because we dont, anybody that works in the service industry knows im right. And the rest of you are ignorant basterds that think your better then everyone else that works in the store when you walk in.

billg you are totally in the wrong, and an idiot. most inventories are not instant and only certain items with certain skus go on sale, not necessarily all colors. you also tried to get a cheap price in thing not or no longer on sale (i.e. the ds and thumb drive). they do not have to mark things down or substitute items for you. you also went during one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year. you are a 'tard and i hope no other cags are like you. you didn't do crap for cheapy d or cag, nor they for you. you are possibly the worst customer ever to have. you just bitch and moan until you get what you want. the customer is not always right and i wish your parents had raised you properly. oh, well, you probably won't believe any of this. you suck!

ps nice slant on everything your way while you slam everyone at circuitcity and their store. get a clue!

[quote name='godsantagonist']billg you are totally in the wrong, and an idiot. most inventories are not instant and only certain items with certain skus go on sale, not necessarily all colors. you also tried to get a cheap price in thing not or no longer on sale (i.e. the ds and thumb drive). they do not have to mark things down or substitute items for you. you also went during one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year. you are a 'tard and i hope no other cags are like you. you didn't do crap for cheapy d or cag, nor they for you. you are possibly the worst customer ever to have. you just bitch and moan until you get what you want. the customer is not always right and i wish your parents had raised you properly. oh, well, you probably won't believe any of this. you suck!

ps nice slant on everything your way while you slam everyone at circuitcity and their store. get a clue![/quote]

Preach the gospel.

Praise!

Y are some of you guys posting so much in a thread that you are even saying should just die? We understand you think the OP is either right or wrong ... you don't have to keep telling us.

lol i have a great feeling your story is twisted.

i bet heres how it went down..

You went to store 700, the workers were busy assisting other people with tvs, computers, ect and you just walk in expecting all the help you want. You cant find a thumbdrive so u find a look alike that is not the exact one and you try to get a price adjustment which is not possible. Sales Associate goes to back looks for one cant find one, its a ghost happends all the time where the computer says we have em in the back but its not there because workers dont scan it out of the backroom location, Nick tries to assist you goes to the back, while searching in back you wonder off looking at other stuff. Then complain when you cant find em.

This happends all the time. I work in target and i know how the customer thinks....

[quote name='Grxmites']lol i have a great feeling your story is twisted.

i bet heres how it went down..

You went to store 700, the workers were busy assisting other people with tvs, computers, ect and you just walk in expecting all the help you want. You cant find a thumbdrive so u find a look alike that is not the exact one and you try to get a price adjustment which is not possible. Sales Associate goes to back looks for one cant find one, its a ghost happends all the time where the computer says we have em in the back but its not there because workers dont scan it out of the backroom location, Nick tries to assist you goes to the back, while searching in back you wonder off looking at other stuff. Then complain when you cant find em.

This happends all the time. I work in target and i know how the customer thinks....[/quote]
Yes because you are the ultimate authority and ALL customers are exactly the same.

As strange as it may sounds some customers do get shafted by retailers.

By your logic I can then conclude that ALL employees are morons because the guy that was running the electroics dept at a local retailer was lazy and didn't want to help me get a game out of the locked glass case.

This is kind of a crazy struggle. The jerks in store 700 are NOT unusual for CC people... but they are jerks. You can't win a tug-of-war with an a-hole. It's just not possible. These are the kind of people that WANT to screw you, cause they enjoy screwing you. Unless you are the same type of a-hole, you're already at a disadvantage, even before the contest is held.

That said, you didn't really win - they found a way to deny you something. The $40 discount.

I would have done some different things. For example, I would have my girlfriend call HQ. Then my mom. Then my neighbor. Then some more people. Just an idea to turn your situation into more than one pissed off consumer - make it sound like a pissed off consumer GROUP!

But hey, CC is like that.

Out of all my Black Friday shopping (and I went to several stores), CC was the worst. They had the slowest service. They had less than adequate checkout times. They didn't even have enough checkout registers, for crying out loud!

Surprisingly... WALMART had the best Black Friday set up. I can't recall checking out of Walmart so quickly on a normal, empty week night! Every register had an employee, and even the jewelry department risked getting yelled at by a supervisor and checked me out.

Would I go back to CC for Black Friday next year? No.

Do I prefer to shop at CC for anything? Not since this SPEEDY fiasco, no.

Do I AVOID going to CC as much as possible? Yes.

Am I surprised that CC has gotten worse with customer relations than BB? Heck yes. I thought BB had the copyright on treating a customer like a d*ck!

Mostly, I just want to commend you :applause: for giving CC a hard time. I suppose the smarter thing is to simply NOT SHOP THERE EVER AGAIN, but I'm glad at least one CAG has fought back a little. (*What's the point of a "coupon" with a laundry list of exclusions!? SEARS, I'm also looking at you!)

[quote name='The Lou']Ok. In writing this response, my first and likely only post I'll ever make here, I thought of many different approaches.
Humorous, acusatory, defensive...

Instead I'm going with serious.

Allow me to start with an introduction: My name is Luis, and I used to work at that very store not too very long ago.

And as such, I personally know each person you named and demonized in your self righteous diatribe.

When I started reading the post, I did so expecting to think you were just some blow hard with absolutely no reason to be upset. I was incorrect, as you do have some valid reasons to be upset.

By the time I finished reading the post, however, any sympathy I had melted into apathy for your discourse. And coming at you is a nice big break down of why.

Chapter 1 ---Sense And Sensibility

Gathering a list of items you wish to purchase and checking availability online was a smart move, I commend you. I commend you even further for having the foresight to call and double check, as online inventory is never, ever accurate due to levels of seperation.

Yeah, that phone system. We never knew why it did that. Hell, it inconvinienced all of us just as bad, if not worse, than it does the customer. But hey, you're a smart guy and realize that they were open.
Good for you.

The problem begins when you're told that the thumbdrives are not in stock, despite inventory claiming otherwise.
Now, usually at this point a stock check at the nearest Circuit City, in this case less than five minutes up the road (literally), is performed. I have a hard time accepting this didn't happen, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Instead, you found a similar item, and can't belive that they'd not be the same price.

So a supervisor is called, and so begins your decsent into worthlessness.

First, you named him. You named him, and his location, on a public forum with the intent of making him, and the others that followed, seem like incompetent shlubs while simultaneously attempting to make yourself seem the paragon of customer excellence.

I would have loved to be there, to witness your attitude. To witness as you talk down to them, act so high and mighty so you can get what you want like a spoiled child.

Be that as it may, Nick went off to look for your drive. Upon returning, he didn't find you where you last were.

Now, this wasn't some unreasonable place, some 'unmarked waiting area', no, this is the customer service line. A big, monolithic desk that slaps you in the face as soon as you enter the store.

And when baby wants his bottle, that's the area you wait in. You went there to obtain Nick, why not expect him to return there with the results of your pleas? No, you expect him to return, not find you there, and search Heaven and Hell to find Mr. billg and inform him of the lack of thumbdrives.

No. If you order a pizza, and you're not home when they deliver it, you don't get a free pizza. You don't get a hoagie at 15% off. Common sense.

Chapter 2 ---- Name Calling And Your Mama Too

So, you climb higher, go above Nick, and it is Brian who gets the pleasure of dealing with the situation. Now, before Brian has even had a chance to speak a word in your story, you attack him. Multiple times.
His shirt, his facial expression, and his position within the store.

Does he intimidate you so? You paint him to be some bruiser, as if Arnold Schwartzeneggar himself walked over holding a big green firedog shotgun that fired hate and purple thumbdrives.

So at this point, you are told no, they won't discount item B because item A is out of stock. You mention how you later find out how he can discount the item, he simply wouldn't. Really now, why should he? I know, I know..you're a sweet innocent customer, perfectly calm and reasonable being viciously victimized by big, evil Circuit City. Brian and Nick deny you exactly the reasons you guessed: the company specifically targets YOU.

Ah, I remember with fondness the early Sunday morning meetings, where we had diagrams of your house and life and disscussed the ways to insert sadness into your otherwise pleasant exsistence.

Either that, or you're simply...being rude. Even...dare I suggest it...an asshole?

I offer free advise, consume it as you see fit. Those retail employees you so hate to deal with are people. And as such, they will respond to you as a person. In otherwards, is Brian, Nick, or anyone there mandated by company policy to grant this price match?
No.

So try being a sweet, nice, friendly person when you ask a favor, and you might get it. Sure, the nasty thing might have worked on mommy when you weren't allowed a cookie before dinner, but Circuit City ain't yo mamma.

That's right. Yo mamma. I figure if you can attack them for sport, then Imma go grade school on you.

Chapter 3---- What A Difference A Day Makes

Your next two ordeals involve calling the store and getting hung up on repeatedly, and waiting around as you were led around the store to get rung up.

Know what, you have a point there. No sarcasm, ask any long time employee at the store how hard it is to connect a call and you'll hear massive contempt.

Ideally, the store would have an entire department dedicated to maintaining incoming calls, but sadly this onus falls on the overworked Customer Service department.

Getting through to Circuit City shouldn't be such a hassle. Hell, I'll even apologize on their behalf for that shortcoming. It's unintentional, but it never seems that way when you're the one making the call.

As for the confusion in getting the DS bundle rung up, again a chink in the armor is found. "It happens" simply won't cut it, and this here is the first true incident where I've seen a breach in their customer service as according to your story.

Be that as it may, they scan your DS bundle...and the price doesn't match what it did a few days ago.

And it's here that you lose me again. Man, and I was almost on your side...

You argue that it wasn't a Black Friday only deal, but that's a moot point. Seeing as you're on CAG, it's almost certain that you know that Circuit City sales run from Sunday till Saturday. If you need that explained in simpler terms: What be cheap on Saturday, may no be cheap Sunday.

You then go and argue that you meant to buy it with The World's Most Important Thumbdrive™, but simply couldn't bring yourself to do it after all the heaps of injustice Store 700 forced down your throat.
Yeah, well I also MEANT to hit my brakes at the red light, officer, but all that acceleration from my car was too much to bare.

Cry me a river. You know when the sale ends, and frankly, at this point, I would take great pleasure from denying you last weeks' sales price. This is another example of you wanting a favor, not for employees to follow their company mandates.

Chapter 4 --- Entitlement And The Beast: The billg Story

This here is where you call the Cool Line. It is also where you state, and I quote: "...that my very basic needs as a customer were not being met at any level of the hierarchy..."

Your very basic needs as a customer? And what exactly are these needs that aren't being met? The store didn't line up on their knees and beg your forgiveness of their lack of stock? That they didn't give you a plasma TV for the inconvinience of purchasing something outside of it's sale?
Or was Brian just so godamned intimidating to you, that you lost all ability to make purchases at a retail level?

No no, I see why you feel your basic needs weren't met...it's a power struggle to you. This whole thing is about getting what you want, and having a trophy for it.
A $10 gift card for not being able to buy a $15 thumbdrive? More then reasonable.
A $10 gift card because you don't feel as if sale dates apply to you? Bending over backwards.

You also mention that you want an apology from them. No, no. You owe humanity an apology. It's this type of pathetic behavior that drags Philadelphia and society in general down. This attitude of "I deserve this!", this attitude of "If I complain loud and long enough, I can get what I want!"

It used to be that a child would get slapped if they acted in this manner.

And the Cool Line deals with these slap-worthy people all day. Their purpose is to deal with you. To placate if possible. And when that person seems unreasonable, and refuses to meet in the middle, to actually find a solution that doesn't border on the rediculous...they hang up on you.

Eat it. Live it. Love it.

Chapter 5 ------- Cul De Sac

You then demanded some phone numbers, some this, some that, yadda yadda yadda. At this point, I'm running low on steam. So I'll wrap this up: Even if Phil himself shows up at your door, with four DS bundles, two 8G thumbdrives, and the opportunity to slap big mean Brian in the face, you'll still be nothing more than a self important blowhard.

I personally hope that none of your withering 'demands' are met, and offer anyone reading this a reiteration of my earlier advise:

Be nice, people. Yes, every retail location will have moments of poor customer service, and in those situations you are fully justified for standing up for yourself and trying to find a solution that makes things right.

But when you are in a situation that requires someone going out of their way to help you, be nice. Your life will be easier, and you won't come off as a pompous ass like the OP.

Good day, good night, good luck.[/quote]

I wish every single person on here could read this, absolutely hilarious and yet so true at the same time.

the arrogance and ignorance in this thread and on this board is astounding. people do not deserve things. also, a business has every right to protect its interest (e.g. from speedy {he knew what the hell he was doing was risky}, and the exclusions on most coupons). cags do not even know what coupons are for... i assume most people here are younger and have not any experience in the real world. cheapy d found a niche, he is not a god. hell, what does he even do? post videos from japan? most deals posted here are from other sites and the op doesn't give credit. and i find it funny when people bitch that joystiq took their news/info from somewhere and doesn't give credit.

[quote name='ITDEFX']why are we still bumping this thread. It's over, and the OP has tucked his tail between his legs.[/QUOTE]

apparently so, but this is the first time I and many others saw it, thanks to it being unexplainably linked to on the front page of CAG. The OP is a jerk, who has a sense of entitlement like a whiny spoiled rotten child.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']I went in their the other day to get portable ops+ and some gifts.
The girl at the register was yelling at the manager telling her that idea was stupid, while not bothering to say hello to the 3 customers she was ringing up before me. Then she tried to charge me full price for the 4 games when the ad at the front of the store clearly states all 19.99 games are buy one get one half off. I guess she was stupid or just trying to make 20 bucks.[/quote]

OR, and maybe this is just me, you know..."thinking", but maybe you're the stupid one for having internet access and going to a retail/physical location to purchase goods which could probably be found cheaper online.

Oh wait, is CC holding some CC-only type hardware? haha

People do ask a good question .....
why do your purchases in-store? When you can just do it online, arrange for in-store pickup...drive and park in the special pickup spot......walk in...walk out....and you can take a week to pickup whatever it is.

I'll be honest....I've come to love Circuit City and best Buy's Online ordering......no muss...no fuss.....no more searching multiple stores for availability. I just did almost my entire XMAS shopping list last friday online with Amazon, Best Buy, and Circuit City.......

Wow, that was a long read... Long, yet very interesting. Glad everything turned out fine. Sorry you had to go through such hell :whistle2:\

I had a similar issue. I was also on hold just to check if a TV I had paid for on black friday had arrived. I was put on hold and the phone was "accidently" picked up and put back on hold about 8 or 9 times, OR the same person I had told what I needed to, asked, "What do you need?"

dude honestly... your just a horrible customer.. you didnt do everything exactly like the ad said, these day sales are specific to the exact day, you go in there, wanting them to change things all around, especially the thumb drive. if they do not have it in stock, you cannot just sub it for another!

Try working in retail, and then dealing with, YOURSELF!

I dont work at CC.. but from reading your story, you would have been a nightmare to deal with.

l_01047521db4229eeff37911c3ce47eb9.gif

[quote name='goosedude']People do ask a good question .....
why do your purchases in-store? When you can just do it online, arrange for in-store pickup...drive and park in the special pickup spot......walk in...walk out....and you can take a week to pickup whatever it is.

I'll be honest....I've come to love Circuit City and best Buy's Online ordering......no muss...no fuss.....no more searching multiple stores for availability. I just did almost my entire XMAS shopping list last friday online with Amazon, Best Buy, and Circuit City.......[/quote]

Because he wanted to use a coupon which he would've been denied on anyway. I still don't get why he made such a fuss, since if he did order online and went to the store and they didn't have his order ready, he would've received a gift card for $24 for his hassle. Then, he could've used that gc at another CC where they had said thumb drive.

But, I guess they just wanted to be a royal pita.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Probably because they wouldn't honor his $40 off $200 or whatever the coupon was he was trying to use on SALE and excluded items.[/QUOTE]

After the pussies at CC HQ caved in (which i still find it hard to believe) and gave it to him at the BF price, he STILL tried to use the $40 off $200?!?!?!?!? man what a fucking loser.

It's disappointing how threads like this always bring out the "my dick's bigger than yours" trolls. Why can't you go back to fucking the couch and leave the real people alone?

Annoying pricks. Good job, OP.

And, just because I know it's coming, let me save you the effort:

"OMG OMG U R fuckERED LOOSER YOU DONT KNOW SHIT OMG U R WRONG I R WRIGHT, I WORK RETAIL AND WE NEVER fuck CUSTOMERS UP, NO NO NO, SHUT UP U LOSER NOOB ROFL I R BETTER THAN U!!!!111111"

That about cover it?

Thought so.

[quote name='jaysapathy']And, just because I know it's coming, let me save you the effort:

"OMG OMG U R fuckERED LOOSER YOU DONT KNOW SHIT OMG U R WRONG I R WRIGHT, I WORK RETAIL AND WE NEVER fuck CUSTOMERS UP, NO NO NO, SHUT UP U LOSER NOOB ROFL I R BETTER THAN U!!!!111111"

That about cover it?

Thought so.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in over 700 posts, there hasn't been any posts like that, so no need to be so dramatic.

The only thing you posted was "good job". That's not exactly a post that adds value either.

[quote name='Will']This thread almost warrants a sticky on how NOT to act when trying to get over on retail establishments.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

[quote name='jaysapathy']And, just because I know it's coming, let me save you the effort:

That about cover it?

Thought so.[/quote]

Actually, I have a bit more class than to resort to 5th grade namecalling. Sixth grade namecalling, however, is fair game.:lol: Neener neener.

Oh and.....I also know how to spell LOSER and RIGHT correctly. Spell check does wonders.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Oh and.....I also know how to spell LOSER and RIGHT correctly. Spell check does wonders.[/QUOTE]

As does a sense of when someone is spelling things wrong on purpose.

But, nice try.

if Billg was making 0.05 cents for every time this thread was viewed, he would have made $2157.

time for a mod to lock this thread and nominate billg for cag villian of the year.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Villain of the year.

Si Se Puede!
Yes We Can!

lol.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately he didn't make the cut. ....
BUT I DID :p

That is freaking ridiculous. Billg, you, my friend, have more patience than anyone that I have ever met. I think I would have killed someone (or at least followed them home, only to exhibit massive pain on their face with a metal baseball bat) if I had to go through half of what you went through. I can't believe you stayed calm the entire time, are you by chance related to Mohandas Gandhi? But seriously, I applaud your determination and fucking willpower man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back