How classic gaming become more popular?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
Is it just my imagination, or has classic gaming increased in popularity over the past few years? Classic gaming is defined as gaming on a platform prior to the current, dominant systems. As of the time of this post, classic gaming is defined as any console released prior to Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii. It may be hard to consider PS2, Gamecube, or Xbox as 'classic' gaming until I remember the fact I'm old.

Hipsters might be part of the reason, they jive on nostalgia masked as irony.

But I would say that access is what has really expanded interest in classic gaming. Thanks to digital services like the Virtual Console, XBLA, and PSN, a lot of classic games are being made available for easy purchase by general consumers. While you used to have to track down physical copies of a game, as well as hang onto the system that plays it, now you can just purchase the title digitally on the console you already own and use.

Classic games have become easier to market and sell, and this has raised awareness of these games for a broader audience.

Gamecube game library is used to supplement the Wii's sparse 3rd party titles. PS2 era games are very diverse but are known for the eras RPG titles, very lacking this gen.

The first widely-used home consoles were the Atari 2600 and the Nintendo NES. These came about 35 & 25 years ago. If you assume the kids that played these were 10 when they got their system, that means an age range of about 35-45 today.

Classic gaming is bigger now simply becuase now there are enough gamers old enough to be nostalgic about it & seek out the games of their youth. As for why it spiked so suddenly, I don't know- either a collective start to mid-life crisises for the appropriate generation, or people with lost income turning to old, cheaper gaming to save money maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii's virtual console played a role, putting classic titles in the hands of gamers everywhere.

Perfect storm of the NES generation getting to an age where they have nostalgia for their youth and money to burn, easy access through digital services like XBLM and Wii VC, and the rise of hipster/retro culture.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']and the rise of hipster/retro culture.[/QUOTE]

Okay, just for the record, hipster is not the same thing as retro/nostalgia. This is especially true when you consider that "hipster" usually describes a much younger crowd, who often have no reason to feel nostalgic for the trends they adopt. This is where the whole supposed "irony" comes into play.

I really doubt that hipsters play much of a part in retro gaming. Retro gaming is too expensive of a hobby, and too much trouble for the average hipster. And in order for them to take advantage of digital distribution, they would have to own and operate current-gen systems. (which wouldn't be ironic)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']The first widely-used home consoles were the Atari 2600 and the Nintendo NES. These came about 35 & 25 years ago. If you assume the kids that played these were 10 when they got their system, that means an age range of about 35-45 today.

Classic gaming is bigger now simply becuase now there are enough gamers old enough to be nostalgic about it & seek out the games of their youth. As for why it spiked so suddenly, I don't know- either a collective start to mid-life crisises for the appropriate generation, or people with lost income turning to old, cheaper gaming to save money maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii's virtual console played a role, putting classic titles in the hands of gamers everywhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm banking on this, literally.

bread's done
Back